Thad Matta ponders about Georgia Job | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thad Matta ponders about Georgia Job

Reaction Score
Should be a dog fight between Matta and Dan Hurley for the Pitt job - it comes down to the $ and Hurley's buyout - Matta , I think, would command more $ but has no buyout. However if Matta gets itchy and takes the Georgia stint, then it opens the door for Pitt and now it's Pitt vs UConn, ACC vs AAC for Hurley
Dog fight at Pitt? You do realize Hurley turned them down before. I agree that Hurley wont come cheap for UConn but I doubt Hurley seriously considers Pitt at all unless of course for leverage elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Don't think so. This is a polite way of saying I don't want the UGA job. That's a football school without a proven commitment to their basketball program.

Very possible.

It'll be interesting to see if he goes anywhere

Reaction Score
Matta turned down UGA. There is some speculation on his current health status, and accepting a job vs. continuing to take his buyout.

Reaction Score
At Pitt you are competing with Villanova, Temple and PSU for recruits- and that is just in PA. You're also competing with OSU, Michigan, MSU, IU, Purdue, ND, Butler, etc. The ACC is also a stronger basketball conference- it has several "legit" title contenders each year. The SEC usually has one, if that. Pitt is probably a better job, overall, but it will be easier to succeed at UGA.

Reaction Score
At Pitt you are competing with Villanova, Temple and PSU for recruits- and that is just in PA. You're also competing with OSU, Michigan, MSU, IU, Purdue, ND, Butler, etc. The ACC is also a stronger basketball conference- it has several "legit" title contenders each year. The SEC usually has one, if that. Pitt is probably a better job, overall, but it will be easier to succeed at UGA.
But you're also competing with UGA at UGA. How do you know you'll definitely get the resources you need to win at UGA?

Reaction Score
I would say UGA is the better job. Fox had 9 years at UGA. There is some stability there. The SEC has increased its commitment to basketball. It will always be backseat to football at UGA (by far), but the same is true at most schools, including Pitt.

Pitt is dysfunctional. Dixon left on strange terms. Stallings was a bad hire. The old Chancellor and old AD were key contributors to the end of the old Big East, and they are both gone. New Chancellor (that was there for Stallings hire) and new AD (who was not).

Stallings fired for cause is a real bad look. By all accounts he ran a clean program. UConn may have some dirty leverage on KO. Pitt citing Stallings reacting to fan taunts is ridiculous. They didn't take action at the time, so it's a manufactured way to cheat him of his buyout.

Pitt is a mess. Why go there with how they are treating Stallings, if there are similar options? UGA is the better job.

Also, Athens is great.

Reaction Score
Don't think so. This is a polite way of saying I don't want the UGA job. That's a football school without a proven commitment to their basketball program.
Then what does he say if he takes the Pitt job? That’s where this will get tricky.

Reaction Score
Then what does he say if he takes the Pitt job? That’s where this will get tricky.
Pitt is in a better basketball conference
But certainly Carolina centric.

Reaction Score

Are you though? Basketball is much more a national recruiting sport. UConn's current roster:

4 Jalen Adams Roxbury, Mass.
45 Temi Aiyegbusi Conshohocken, Pa.
0 Antwoine Anderson Rochester, N.Y.
25 Josh Carlton Winterville, N.C.
23 Eric Cobb Jacksonville, Fla.
21 Mamadou Diarra Queens, N.Y.
3 Alterique Gilbert Richmond, Va.
22 Terry Larrier Bronx, N.Y.
34 David Onuorah Lithonia, Ga.
12 Tyler Polley Miramar, Fla.
1 Christian Vital Queens Village, N.Y.
5 Isaiah Whaley Gastonia, N.C.
11 Kwintin Williams Anchorage, Alaska

Has NY flavor but that's true of a lot of programs. It's not unique to UConn, Cincy's:

1 Jacob Evans G 6-6 210 JR Baton Rouge, LA
2 Keith Williams G 6-5 210 FR Brooklyn, NY
3 Justin Jenifer G 5-10 175 JR Baltimore, MD
5 Trevor Moore G 6-5 200 FR Houston, TX
11 Gary Clark F 6-8 225 SR Clayton, NC
13 Tre Scott F 6-8 220 SO Darien, GA
15 Cane Broome G 6-0 160 JR East Hartford, CT
20 Mamoudou Diarra F 6-9 215 FR Bamako, Mali
22 Eliel Nsoseme F 6-9 220 FR Kinshasa, Congo
24 Kyle Washington F 6-9 230 SR Champlin, MN
33 Nysier Brooks C 6-11 250 SO Philadelphia, PA
34 Jarron Cumberland G 6-5 215 SO Wilmington, OH

Just one Ohio player and no others in the midwest. CBB is national recruiting.

Reaction Score
Pitt is in a better basketball conference
But certainly Carolina centric.
We actually should be in the ACC instead of Pitt.
They would have been a much better fit for the Big 12 .
Their WVA Rivalry was a great loss.

Reaction Score
But you're also competing with UGA at UGA. How do you know you'll definitely get the resources you need to win at UGA?

They did just renovate Stegman and I read *on the internet* that they offered him 5 years/3 mil per.

If true, that's shows a big commitment.

Reaction Score
They did just renovate Stegman and I read *on the internet* that they offered him 5 years/3 mil per.

If true, that's shows a big commitment.
He turned it down.

Reaction Score
Just one Ohio player and no others in the midwest. CBB is national recruiting.

Well it depends on the state, and the player. The top players in Ohio are probably not going to Cincy- they are probably going to OSU or another similar P5 program. 8/12 players on OSU's 2006-7 FF team were from Ohio and 11/12 were from the Midwest. 6/14 players on OSU's 2011-12 FF team were from Ohio and 11/14 were from the Midwest.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Should be a dog fight between Matta and Dan Hurley for the Pitt job - it comes down to the $ and Hurley's buyout - Matta , I think, would command more $ but has no buyout. However if Matta gets itchy and takes the Georgia stint, then it opens the door for Pitt and now it's Pitt vs UConn, ACC vs AAC for Hurley

Do you even know if Hurley has any interest in the Pitt job? Outside of Pete Thamel's arse talking, haven't heard a peep.

There's been multiple reported interest between Hurley and UCONN, so there's that.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’d be shocked if KO was fired without an under the table deal already in place, or at least great confidence in getting Hurly. Not concerned here.

Reaction Score
I’d be shocked if KO was fired without an under the table deal already in place, or at least great confidence in getting Hurly. Not concerned here.

See, I'd be shocked if they had a definite "yes" from Hurley.

I think it's more along the lines of "we think we have a good shot at Hurley but, if that doesn't happen, we have a hall of fame coach who'll coach for cheap as a fall back plan"

Reaction Score
I suspect the Hurley hiring is at least 90 days in the making.

Reaction Score
Tubby Smith to Georgia
Crean to Pitts
Hurley to Uconn
Matta sits out the year. I personally think he wants to coach in the midwest again.

Reaction Score
See, I'd be shocked if they had a definite "yes" from Hurley.

I think it's more along the lines of "we think we have a good shot at Hurley but, if that doesn't happen, we have a hall of fame coach who'll coach for cheap as a fall back plan"
And that would be a horrible plan.

Reaction Score
What’s left to ponder?

Attachments

• BE41C5B3-F737-4C48-AF4B-1BDA4546413E.jpeg
    BE41C5B3-F737-4C48-AF4B-1BDA4546413E.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 28
Reaction Score

I think you nailed it. It will always be a football first university. At least at Pitt you could be 50-50 or greater depending on performance in the eyes of the fan base. The advantage of being in the ACC.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Dog fight at Pitt? You do realize Hurley turned them down before. I agree that Hurley wont come cheap for UConn but I doubt Hurley seriously considers Pitt at all unless of course for leverage elsewhere.
The talking heads on college sports Sirrius XM (the ACC and Final Four station) are still saying that Pitt is after Hurley and that there is some interest in the Hurley camp. They say that the talk show hosts in Pittsburgh are throwing Hurley, Crean and Matta names around the last 12 hours. Yes UConn is heavily mentioned but I based my comment on what I hear
I know you want the guy but you can't disavow the fact that the ACC is a hell of a lot more preferable to the AAC
So yes dog fight - not saying that Hurley is even interested but if people are talking they are talking
You can't just ignore that fact that he could go there by questioning what people are stating based on what they hear in the media
I don't care how many times he turned them down - today is today not yesterday
I think UConn is probably a better fit only because, to be honest, the guy has never gone after the elite players and if you are going to coach in the ACC (at least in current NCAA league classifications) you better know how to attract the best of the best
I don't want Crean and I wouldn't mind Matta but I think his price tag is going to be huge and his health is a huge question.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom