Texas Tech | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Texas Tech

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Our fan base is overrated.

Totally agree on that. I tried to give away 9 courtside seats for free on here not too long ago and only could manage to fill 6. If you cant fill courtside seats with people who post on this board (who are obviously the most interested in UConn basketball, if you werent you wouldnt bother with this board) then I would imagine that extends to the rest of fan base, obviously.

Reaction Score
The fan base has really suffered. There’s been a down period in the program just as so many baby boomers began moving south. You need to replace them with young people but you can’t if the team isn’t good. Last fall I was at the Rent and a sophomore attending UConn was sitting behind us with his parents. He was explaining to them how UConn could never fill the stadium because it’s too far from campus and that we’ve never been good at football. After a a while I struck up a conversation and told them how it used to be both at the Rent and at XL. They were clueless. The kid was saying that he’s heard how great everything used to be at UConn and figured it was just an exaggeration. He said it is kind of boring on campus and everyone thinks the teams suck. I think they were from NY or NJ iirc.

Reaction Score
The fan base has really suffered. There’s been a down period in the program just as so many baby boomers began moving south. You need to replace them with young people but you can’t if the team isn’t good. Last fall I was at the Rent and a sophomore attending UConn was sitting behind us with his parents. He was explaining to them how UConn could never fill the stadium because it’s too far from campus and that we’ve never been good at football. After a a while I struck up a conversation and told them how it used to be both at the Rent and at XL. They were clueless. The kid was saying that he’s heard how great everything used to be at UConn and figured it was just an exaggeration. He said it is kind of boring on campus and everyone thinks the teams suck. I think they were from NY or NJ iirc.
From what I've heard the GameDay experience is incredibly boring and tired. As another poster pointed out you can't even bring signs into the games. Times have changed and the campus has changed. UConn used to be a big party school, from what I've heard the party scene has been nonexistent for a very long time. You create a boring campus and boring GameDay atmosphere and most kids are just going to stay in their rooms and mess around on their phones and play video games.

Reaction Score
It was a great atmosphere.

The atmosphere would not have been like that if they had forced their students to journey to an unfamiliar (for many) city a half hour plus away for a 6:30 tip

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Our fanbase seems to divided into two camps right now. Fans that pay money and go to games versus "fans" that don't go to games and badmouth the ones that do.

Reaction Score
Our fanbase seems to divided into two camps right now. Fans that pay money and go to games versus "fans" that don't go to games and badmouth the ones that do.
I’m not bad mouthing fans, I’m bad mouthing the decision makers

Reaction Score
That really makes no sense. If you are a real fan why arent you at home games? Certainly its not due to ticket availability. I think maybe we just dont have that many REAL fans.
You’re right, it makes no sense. But get to MSG or a regional game UConn is in and it’s always noted UConn fans are out in force. I can’t explain why they’re not at home games, or not cheering at them, but it’s sad. They’re 15-5, #17 in the country, they lose one game and the sky is falling, Hurley isn’t bringing in the right recruits, his in game coaching is atrocious etc. but a week ago those same people are speculating if this is a top 10 team.

If in November I was told going into the second week of February they we’re sitting at 15-5 with two top 25 matchups coming up in the next week I would take that 10 out of 10 times.

And not for nothing being on a fan site questioning the team and it’s fans makes you not a REAL fan so get off your soapbox and go get a Diablo for lunch.

Reaction Score
Dammit! This freakin pandemic has me watching those vids in alarm.
I guess you haven't been paying attention to the latest info from the CDC, and other newly credible sources.
Take your Vitamin D, relax and enjoy life.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And therein lies the benefit of an on-campus stadium with free tickets for students.

CL82

Reaction Score
Well that comment certainly doesn’t seem to be made in good faith.

CL82

Reaction Score
So Storrs and Wilimantic are garden spots?
Close enough
1643929138445.jpeg

1643929300890.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon