Texas Tech suspends Amber Battle | The Boneyard

Texas Tech suspends Amber Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I wonder what the "initial contact" was? A shove, a slap, a punch, a kick in the nads? Obviously those in the know considered Bethel's response disproportionate and that led to his dismissal but is there a line that shouldn't be crossed or is there a double standard?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Don't know about the double standard in this. Physical contact is one thing, a punch is different. (Consider the distention on the court).

Now, I do consider THIS a (implied) double standard: “Texas Tech Athletics does not tolerate violence against women.”

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
"Texas Tech Athletics has a zero tolerance policy on this type of behavior," the school announced in a statement after the incident.

This type of behavior? Maybe a little double standard? Would the scenario have played out the same way if it were two men or two women?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Sounds like an all around equitable decision.

I'm pretty sure from the reports that her behavior probably didn't reach the level of his. Its sort of like the baseball pitcher that intentionally throws at and hits a batter - he causes the incident, and deserves punishment, but if the batter charges the mound swinging his bat - that is unacceptable escalation. That's pretty much the type of thing I suspect happened here. She did something wrong and he over-reacted out of control.

Reaction Score
I think the double standard thing gets carried too far sometimes. Not saying it should be OK for women to hit men, but IMO it is LESS OK for a large (football player) male elite athlete to hit a woman, regardless of the provocation, unless maybe she was threatening his life with a weapon.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I think the double standard thing gets carried too far sometimes. Not saying it should be OK for women to hit men, but IMO it is LESS OK for a large (football player) male elite athlete to hit a woman, regardless of the provocation, unless maybe she was threatening his life with a weapon.

Is it less ok for a large male athlete ( linebacker) to hit a smaller male athlete (Cross Country runner)? ?

Reaction Score
I am making asusmption here.... but I am probably OK with how this was dealt with by TT....

Nobody should assault another person, male or female..... but I think different punishment came as a result of degree of assault..... he punched her, requiring facial surgery.... she I do not believe was as violent with him.....

Reaction Score
Why wasn't she expelled from the school for initiating the fight? Oh, because she is the star player on her team, maybe?? She gets a slap on her wrist. What a message TT is sending to their student body.

Reaction Score
Why wasn't she expelled from the school for initiating the fight? Oh, because she is the star player on her team, maybe?? She gets a slap on her wrist. What a message TT is sending to their student body.
Expelled for fighting? Seems kinda harsh to me.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
According to internet rumor (eyewitness supposedly):

She shoved him to the ground apparently. Hardly warrants a face reconstructing haymaker.

http://www.myhighplains.com/story/d...lbattle-altercat/44971/8lhbYpVsskKZohTtDzKPWA

You never know how a person is going to react so it's best to control your own behavior. Sounds like Battle let her temper get the best of her and put herself in the middle of a situation she couldn't control. I wonder if the football player would have been kicked off the team had he hit another male who had pushed him to the ground.

Reaction Score
You never know how a person is going to react so it's best to control your own behavior. Sounds like Battle let her temper get the best of her and put herself in the middle of a situation she couldn't control. I wonder if the football player would have been kicked off the team had he hit another male who had pushed him to the ground.
No way. This is a "violence against women" issue with TT. Your scenario would just be a "boys will be boys" issue, with the facial surgery as a minor complicating factor

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
I'm proud to say that my alma mater -- Missouri -- dismissed their best football player (Green-Beckham) from the team for an incident that ended with him throwing a female student down the stairs. The female student was not seriously injured and did not press charges, but the coach (Gary Pinkel) tossed him anyway and the AD backed him up. (He had a couple of minor rules infractions in the past, one involving marijuana.)

Last week the Oklahoma University football program offered Green-Beckham a scholarship and has filed a waiver request with the NCAA to allow him to play without sitting out a year. Obviously, they don't think his conduct deserves any kind of punishment or consequences. Even some of the OK fans are unhappy about this. And even though OK desperately needs an AA wide receiver.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score

I'm guessing you don't see a difference between whatever contact there was ('cause there's never ANY contact in basketball) and the punch. Granted, I've not seen any video (and neither, I am assuming, have you) but I recognize a difference.

I'm hoping you're being sarcastic with your "star player" comment, since most of the focus has been on the impact on the men's football team. Little, if any discussion, about the impact on the women's team -- perhaps because they're "so good." (that was sarcasm).

She, at least, has issued a statement to all involved, including the football player who punched her in the face and broke her jaw.

The football player is already being sought after by other teams.

Reaction Score
I'm proud to say that my alma mater -- Missouri -- dismissed their best football player (Green-Beckham) from the team for an incident that ended with him throwing a female student down the stairs. The female student was not seriously injured and did not press charges, but the coach (Gary Pinkel) tossed him anyway and the AD backed him up. (He had a couple of minor rules infractions in the past, one involving marijuana.)

Last week the Oklahoma University football program offered Green-Beckham a scholarship and has filed a waiver request with the NCAA to allow him to play without sitting out a year. Obviously, they don't think his conduct deserves any kind of punishment or consequences. Even some of the OK fans are unhappy about this. And even though OK desperately needs an AA wide receiver.
I am a University of Oklahoma alumnus and fanatical OU football fan. Although this new pickup from Missouri doesn't change any of that, it is troublesome. He was a problem athlete already. I guess most people deserve a second chance, but this is probably way beyond his 2nd. Just pragmatically, there is a high likelihood he will also be a problem athlete at OU. Such is the state of the NCAA. Suspect this was a great excuse for MU to unload a problem. But if it was a purely moral and ethical SEC football decision, then good for them.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Is it less ok for a large male athlete ( linebacker) to hit a smaller male athlete (Cross Country runner)? ?
To be fair, when I was playing football, the cross country runners were a real pain in the ass. I liked them once track season came around but during football season they were always practicing on the track around the football field and annoying us. ;)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
To be fair, when I was playing football, the cross country runners were a real pain in the ass. I liked them once track season came around but during football season they were always practicing on the track around the football field and annoying us. ;)

At least the sprinters were fast enough to run away.

Reaction Score
No way. This is a "violence against women" issue with TT. Your scenario would just be a "boys will be boys" issue, with the facial surgery as a minor complicating factor
Yep.

The guy should face criminal charges for assault. If I were the girl's parents I'd pursue charges. This is different than the NFL's Baltimore player Ray Rice hitting his fiancee. She's an adult and apparently is willing to take a chance. Maybe wants a lucrative divorce if he does anything after they're married.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Yep.

The guy should face criminal charges for assault. If I were the girl's parents I'd pursue charges. This is different than the NFL's Baltimore player Ray Rice hitting his fiancee. She's an adult and apparently is willing to take a chance. Maybe wants a lucrative divorce if he does anything after they're married.

So you are basically saying she deservers whatever she gets if she chooses to stay with Rice?

Battle is also an adult. She is a 21 year old woman who should know better than to be pushing people around and thinking that they may not retaliate. She learned that lesson just as Jordan Barncastle learned that lesson.

Reaction Score
So you are basically saying she deservers whatever she gets if she chooses to stay with Rice?

Pretty much.

Battle is also an adult. She is a 21 year old woman who should know better than to be pushing people around and thinking that they may not retaliate. She learned that lesson just as Jordan Barncastle learned that lesson.

The guy shouldn't have even done so much as pushed her back. It's a college football player playing a girl(for heaven's sake). Would you punch a woman in the face if she pushed you?

Barncastle and Griner? Between two women- Griner was not right in that case either. She can't punch anyone in the WNBA and she has leaned that lesson as well.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
As a kid I was taught that you never, ever hit a woman. I don't think that way anymore. I think everyone is entitled to defend themselves without having to deliberate about skill, relative size, age or sex of the person committing the assault.

In this case I think I'll defer to the opinion of my go to guy for all things in the law - Judge Judy. She says - "You can't put your hands on someone. If you end up getting the worst of it - what do you want me to do about it?" She does not differentiate between the sexes. If Battle deliberately shoved the guy with enough force to knock him down, then if she got her ass kicked that's her problem.

Who - if anyone did the police charge?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
The guy shouldn't have even done so much as pushed her back. It's a college football player playing a girl(for heaven's sake). Would you punch a woman in the face if she pushed you?

Barncastle and Griner? Between two women- Griner was not right in that case either. She can't punch anyone in the WNBA and she has leaned that lesson as well.
At the risk of being labeled all kinda unpleasant things -
Objectively, just being female does not exempt somebody from retaliation. I hate seeing the simple phrase "playing a girl (for heaven's sake)" for so many reasons. I think it perpetuates stereotypes of weakness,, frailty, feminine liability. Human beings, male or female, shouldn't go around shoving each other, but, having been shoved, an equitable shove back (or the viable threat thereof) is not necessarily inappropriate: let's face it, that's the foundation for a lot of foreign policy, historically and globally.
Subjectively, you aren't talking about a defensive tackle vs. a gymnast. You are talking about a cornerback vs. a WBB guard: still a size and strength disparity, but, it ain't King Kong and Faye Wray. Let me be quite clear on this: I AM NOT CONDONING THE ALTERCATION, PARTICULARLY THE ESCALATION TO DAMAGING ASSAULT. I am pointing out that any human being, much less an athlete, who initiates a physical confrontation, much less with another athlete, should not be surprised if there is a response that is also physical. I emphasize "athlete" because physical contests are, basically, what they do.

That's not to say that there shouldn't be consequences for the actions of both parties. And, let's face it, it is highly unlikely that the initial shove came out of the blue, or out of left field. Odds are, there was some sorta sparring, verbal or "hard play" that led up to the shove.

Basically, if you physically lay hands on somebody, regardless of gender, don't act all surprised or "get the vapors", if the physical contact is returned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom