Texas Preview Video... 3 keys to the game for UConn | The Boneyard

Texas Preview Video... 3 keys to the game for UConn

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Hey everyone, here is my preview video for tonight's match-up vs Texas. I took a look at 3 keys to the game for UConn.

Video:

Highlights:
  • Key 1: Ball Security. Texas scores nearly 20% of their points, 16.5 PPG, in transition. Limiting live ball turnovers takes away a big part of what Texas relies on offensively.
  • Key 2: Win the 3 point line. Texas has 3 good 3-point shooting guards, including Max Abmas who has over 400 career made 3s. Texas isn't afraid, however to step inside the arc for a long mid-range shot if run off the line. They have 45 mid-range attempts this year through 4 games and shot a bunch vs Louisville. It isn't efficient, but they have been effective. Live with these 2s over letting them bang a bunch of 3s...
  • Key 3: Clean-up the defensive glass. If we are going to force them into tough 2s, lets make sure they are one-and-done offensively. Texas didn't look to crash their offensive glass at all yesterday until the final few minutes of the game. Do what we did against Indiana rebounding and we will be in a good spot.
Other notes on the match-up
  • They have a good starting 5, but lack experience behind them. Especially at the guard spot. Their guards probably played more minutes than they expected yesterday (38 for Abmas) so fatigue could be a factor down the stretch.
  • Their center, Shedrick, is athletic and can run the floor well. He scored 27 points yesterday and single handedly kept Texas in the game. Last season, however, he struggled in the ACC vs some of the better big men. And Louisville's front court yesterday certainly isn't the cream of the crop. Clingan played great defense on Ware yesterday. We need that again.
  • Foul happy? Texas plays a really aggressive man-to-man defense (part of what helps them generate their transition offense). Yesterday they struggled with fouling. I'd love to see Newton, Karaban and Ball all be aggressive with cuts towards the hoop.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this. Not sure if fatigue is a factor. UConn played in an early game vs Indiana and won fairly easily. Texas had a tough game and only squeaked by with the last shot. That could take some mental and physical wear. Our back court match well with theirs. I think it's coming down to Donavan Clingan vs Kali Shedrick. If DC has a good game and make his FTs it could be a UConn W.

Reaction Score
Hey everyone, here is my preview video for tonight's match-up vs Texas. I took a look at 3 keys to the game for UConn.

Video:

Highlights:
  • Key 1: Ball Security. Texas scores nearly 20% of their points, 16.5 PPG, in transition. Limiting live ball turnovers takes away a big part of what Texas relies on offensively.
  • Key 2: Win the 3 point line. Texas has 3 good 3-point shooting guards, including Max Abmas who has over 400 career made 3s. Texas isn't afraid, however to step inside the arc for a long mid-range shot if run off the line. They have 45 mid-range attempts this year through 4 games and shot a bunch vs Louisville. It isn't efficient, but they have been effective. Live with these 2s over letting them bang a bunch of 3s...
  • Key 3: Clean-up the defensive glass. If we are going to force them into tough 2s, lets make sure they are one-and-done offensively. Texas didn't look to crash their offensive glass at all yesterday until the final few minutes of the game. Do what we did against Indiana rebounding and we will be in a good spot.
Other notes on the match-up
  • They have a good starting 5, but lack experience behind them. Especially at the guard spot. Their guards probably played more minutes than they expected yesterday (38 for Abmas) so fatigue could be a factor down the stretch.
  • Their center, Shedrick, is athletic and can run the floor well. He scored 27 points yesterday and single handedly kept Texas in the game. Last season, however, he struggled in the ACC vs some of the better big men. And Louisville's front court yesterday certainly isn't the cream of the crop. Clingan played great defense on Ware yesterday. We need that again.
  • Foul happy? Texas plays a really aggressive man-to-man defense (part of what helps them generate their transition offense). Yesterday they struggled with fouling. I'd love to see Newton, Karaban and Ball all be aggressive with cuts towards the hoop.

Key #1 will be the difference-maker IMO. If Newton/Cam/Solo/Diarra can protect the ball and pass over pressure, we'll be fine. I'm thinking today will be a big game for Cling Kong.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Key #1 will be the difference-maker IMO. If Newton/Cam/Solo/Diarra can protect the ball and pass over pressure, we'll be fine. I'm thinking today will be a big game for Cling Kong.
He played really good defense yesterday taking Ware out of the game. I'm expecting the same thing from him tonight. Would love for him to have his breakout offensive game, though... I'd love to see him have a dominant offensive game against a high major opponent before that Kansas match-up next week. This is that chance.

Reaction Score
Great video, but can I just say, when I was a freshmen at UConn there was a kid in my dorm that looked just like McLovin, and everyone called him McLovin. There was a part of me that just always assumed you were him. And now I know you are definitively not him.

Reaction Score
He played really good defense yesterday taking Ware out of the game. I'm expecting the same thing from him tonight. Would love for him to have his breakout offensive game, though... I'd love to see him have a dominant offensive game against a high major opponent before that Kansas match-up next week. This is that chance.
Shedrick has a much more polished low post game, Ware really doesn’t. It will still be a tough task, just a different type. Clingan is stronger and bigger, but Shedrick was crafty with his finishing last night.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Great video, but can I just say, when I was a freshmen at UConn there was a kid in my dorm that looked just like McLovin, and everyone called him McLovin. There was a part of me that just always assumed you were him. And now I know you are definitively not him.
I wish you looked more like McLovin
Haha maybe next time I’ll put a McLovin face over mine for the boneyard version of this (I make these for Twitter but figure I’d post them here too, since why not).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom