Texas Pregame Notes | The Boneyard

Texas Pregame Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn will face No. 14 Texas on Sunday at Mohegan Sun Arena as part of the Jimmy V Classic. Tip-off is at 4 p.m. Sunday’s game will be televised nationally on ESPN with radio coverage on the UConn/IMG Radio Network.

UConn is undefeated 7-0 all-time against Texas and has defeated Texas in each of the last two NCAA Tournaments. The last four meetings between the Huskies and the Longhorns have been at neutral sites and five out of the seven overall meetings have been on neutral turf. Last time out, UConn defeated Texas 86-65 on March 28, 2016 in the Elite Eight of the 2016 NCAA Tournament.

Texas (2-3) is coming off 76-67 loss to No. 3 South Carolina on Thursday, despite only trailing by three points at the half. UConn is the fourth ranked opponent Texas will face this season. The Longhorns have recorded losses in all three previous match-ups with top-25 opponents, including Stanford, Mississippi State and South Carolina. Junior Brooke McCarty leads the Longhorns, averaging 14.4 points per game.

[LINK]

Reaction Score
Texas held their own against South Carolina for all but the last few minutes....if they had made even the majority of their foul shots they would have been much closer.......Texas has good size and Joyner Holmes has improved markedly since her first game...... if Texas can hit their threes (which they have not so far) they can make it a tough game for the Huskies.........this could be anywhere from a very close game to a total blow out..........as always, depends which teams show up

Reaction Score

Hey JavaMan: why aren't you showing a picture of the Huskies boarding a plane, too? How the UConn PR department can keep a straight face when they refer to Bridgeport and Mohegan Sun (aka Geno's Food Court) as "neutral turf" just shows how cynical PR departments have really become.

Reaction Score
Hey JavaMan: why aren't you showing a picture of the Huskies boarding a plane, too? How the UConn PR department can keep a straight face when they refer to Bridgeport and Mohegan Sun (aka Geno's Food Court) as "neutral turf" just shows how cynical PR departments have really become.
No! Their private plane for the short trip tomorrow was just spotted landing at Storrs International. They're good. :cool:

upload_2016-12-3_13-39-10.png

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
When Uconn plays all around the country there are very few non-home courts. Heck Rutgers used to have to block sales to CT addresses to insure a majority of the fans in NJ were wearing red! :rolleyes: And the NCAA teams all of those road games. As they consider Mohegan a neutral site. Bridgeport in season is actually designated a home court, but in tournament time it is deemed neutral because Uconn does not play three home games there in any year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Texas held their own against South Carolina for all but the last few minutes....if they had made even the majority of their foul shots they would have been much closer..Texas has good size and Joyner Holmes has improved markedly since her first game. if Texas can hit their threes (which they have not so far) they can make it a tough game for the Huskies....this could be anywhere from a very close game to a total blow out.....as always, depends which teams show up

The Huskies are trending right now. After the performance the UConn women treated the Gampel faithful to Thursday evening, it would be almost impossible not to be incredibly optimistic about the high level of their play and offensive production thus far. In their first 6 games this season, the huskies have thrown a "7" on their come out roll. UConn is showing steady improvement with each game. Because of the offensive outburst (108 points) DePaul scored against Syracuse at home 4 nights prior to Thursday's game, It would be natural for UConn and its fans to be a little apprehensive going in. 108 points in regulation should not be taken lightly.

Texas can only hope whatever "Mojo" UConn was blessed with Thursday, does not manifest itself again before (or during) their game tomorrow. No one expects UConn to hang another 37 point 1st quarter on the Longhorns, but if they did, or came very close, the fans and the coaching staff would not be opposed to it, as the Longhorns would spend the rest of the game trying to catch up.
The scary thing about that quarter was that UConn made it look easy. DePaul missed (1 and done) shots were going back the other way as fast break (many uncontested) baskets . It could have been a 45 point quarter if some missed open shots and a couple of bunnies underneath the basket were made. You know Texas watched the tape of that game, and no doubt came away with some concerns.

There were some posters here in the yard that predicted a DePaul victory. It will be interesting to see how many (if any) are predicting a Texas victory tomorrow. I'm certainly not. I like the Huskies to the tune of 83-69. While Jordan Holmes is enjoying early success in her freshman season, I'm not too concerned about her or (6'5") Sr. post Kelsey Lang doing any significant damage to the Huskies. Texas is not a team that shoots well from beyond the arc.

Texas is not ranked nationally in the top 50 in D1 WCBB in 3pt FG percentage. UConn is #3 at 44.7%, Notre Dame is #8 at 42.2%, DePaul is # 30 at 38.6%, Florida St. is #10 at 41.8%, Baylor is #11 at 40.9%. Southern California is 50th at 36.9%. Texas is somewhere below 36.9%. I don't look for the Longhorns to strike gold in the paint. The Huskies have not been very hospitable giving up lots of points in the paint lately, and defend it well. If the Longhorns can't dial it in from outside, it's going to be a long day for them. Go Huskies. :cool:

Reaction Score
Milestone Awaits For UConn's Samuelson

The next 3-pointer Katie Lou Samuelson hits will be the 100th of her career.

The sweet-shooting sophomore from Huntington Beach, California won't be the first Husky to reach that milestone but she will get there faster than nearly any other player.

Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis owns the mark for fewest games needed to reach 100 3-pointers as it took her only 40. Diana Taurasi is next with 43 and if Samuelson had drained one more 3-pointer against DePaul she would have tied Taurasi for second place in that category. Next up on the list is Maya Moore, who needed 54 games to get there so it seems like a safe assumption that Samuelson will be No. 3 on that list.

Complete Jim Fuller article [HERE]

Reaction Score
Looking at how hard it has been for Texas to put up points so far this year--about 65 points per game against their 3 quality opponents, I suspect UConn will win by more than 10. That said, Texas is a high quality team. I was looking at their recent recruiting success. One could argue, based on Hoopgurlz or Prospect Nation, that Texas has as much talent as UConn. In reality, I think Geno and his crew are better evaluators of talent then Hoopgurlz, and that they do a better job of developing that talent. The table below shows the Hoopgurlz rankings.
upload_2016-12-4_8-31-28.png

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Looking at how hard it has been for Texas to put up points so far this year--about 65 points per game against their 3 quality opponents, I suspect UConn will win by more than 10. That said, Texas is a high quality team. I was looking at their recent recruiting success. One could argue, based on Hoopgurlz or Prospect Nation, that Texas has as much talent as UConn. In reality, I think Geno and his crew are better evaluators of talent then Hoopgurlz, and that they do a better job of developing that talent. The table below shows the Hoopgurlz rankings.
In defense of Hoopgurlz and other services, if you put the right player in the wrong system, she's not going to play well. For example, a post player that doesn't want to run or pass will not flourish at UConn. I would rephrase your comment to say that Geno and staff are best at finding players who can and will play UConn basketball.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
View attachment 17353

Does anyone think that Nurse should truly have been #33? Had she played HS basketball in the US she would have been ranked much higher. She is a top 10 recruit, in reality.

Sutton is coming off a knee injury and is still not 100% and is getting very little playing time. Her ranking on that list is correct but doesn't reflect her current status.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Glenn - thanks. I knew Aston was doing a good job recruiting - nice to see it tabulated. Kia was 'disadvantaged' in terms of ranking because of playing mostly in Canada with less exposure.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Glenn - thanks. I knew Aston was doing a good job recruiting - nice to see it tabulated. Kia was 'disadvantaged' in terms of ranking because of playing mostly in Canada with less exposure.

And Aston keeps bringing them in. The addition of Booth and Patterson my result in Texas winning the Big 12. Baylor will still have the advantage in the paint and Wallace will still be one of the best players on the floor, but UT may have the advantage in other areas unless Richards, Morris and Ursin come in and don't play like freshmen.

Reaction Score
Is the Sword of Damocles Hanging over Our Head?

images

Texas? ND? Maryland? Mommy?

Reaction Score
Texas coach Karen Aston:

“When you play them you see how you have to play every single possession. The efficiency that they play the game with, that group in particular, you blink for a few minutes and they are on a 10-0, 15-0 run. I think the thing that we gained some confidence from last year’s game was that we were able to stymie some of their runs and not let it get completely out of hand like most of their games did. But you look at the game, and I have gone back and looked at it, we are still not where we need to be.”

“We have been talking about trying to schedule a game potentially at a neutral site or a home and home and I still think we are talking about a home and home,” Aston said. “We like to play competitive games. That is something we have always tried to do, if you look back at the last few years we have had games that have been highly competitive either on the road or on our home court and it is one of those teams that I think you want to measure yourself with as much as you possibly can. If we have a chance to play them in the next few years, I think that is a good thing for the both of us.”

Geno Auriemma:

“Their style of play is so different than what DePaul does and it is going to be a much different challenge. We may not be able to rebound the ball as well, we may not be able to force as many turnovers, we might have to attack them more with our half-court offense.”

[MORE]

Carnac

Reaction Score
No! Their private plane for the short trip tomorrow was just spotted landing at Storrs International. They're good. :cool:

Javaman, I love your unique sense of humor. I love your "concept" plane. A short plane for a short trip. Makes perfect sense to me. :)

If I knew how to use photo shop, I'd give you guys some pictures you wouldn't believe. :rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I love Geno's "Naah" when asked if there was going to be a letdown after Depaul before he "corrected himself" to be consistent
with his narrative of a immature and inconsistent team. Some underlying confidence I believe. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Based on recent events, If I were Notre Dame, I'd be concerned about UConn coming in Wednesday. Very concerned. :oops:

I like Geno's mindset going in to a game: we're not worried about them and what they do, they need to be worried and concerned about US, and what WE do.
What does he always say? "If we bring our A+ game, I think we'll win". He makes no mention about the other teams here, just his. I love his bravado. Heh heh heh. :p

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
UConn will face No. 14 Texas on Sunday at Mohegan Sun Arena as part of the Jimmy V Classic. Tip-off is at 4 p.m. Sunday’s game will be televised nationally on ESPN with radio coverage on the UConn/IMG Radio Network.

UConn is undefeated 7-0 all-time against Texas and has defeated Texas in each of the last two NCAA Tournaments. The last four meetings between the Huskies and the Longhorns have been at neutral sites and five out of the seven overall meetings have been on neutral turf. Last time out, UConn defeated Texas 86-65 on March 28, 2016 in the Elite Eight of the 2016 NCAA Tournament.

Texas (2-3) is coming off 76-67 loss to No. 3 South Carolina on Thursday, despite only trailing by three points at the half. UConn is the fourth ranked opponent Texas will face this season. The Longhorns have recorded losses in all three previous match-ups with top-25 opponents, including Stanford, Mississippi State and South Carolina. Junior Brooke McCarty leads the Longhorns, averaging 14.4 points per game.

[LINK]
Anyone know who announcers are for ESPN today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom