Texas @ Oklahoma - 12/28/17 | The Boneyard

Texas @ Oklahoma - 12/28/17

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Joyner Holmes debuted and drew 2 quick fouls. She may have played 50seconds.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I love games like this one. No matter who loses it will make me smile.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Texas leading early in the 4th 68-49. I wish this Texas team would have showed up in Knoxville.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Texas leading early in the 4th 68-49. I wish this Texas team would have showed up in Knoxville.
I'm still pissed at them for that. They have a lot of making up to do in my book.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Oh man, Texas again with there severe inbounding problems.

Atkins bounces one off the defender's knee because she can't find an open teammate. Then she gets intercepted under the basket and commits her 5th foul.

Luckily for Texas, this time it probably won't cost them the game. Texas is up by 11 with 1:24 to play.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Sherri Coale went small ball with a 5 guard line up and it absolutely took Texas out of anything offensively they were doing for the first 3 quarters. Maddie Manning is playing the 5 for them. OU is getting steals and deflections all over the court.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
So I am no coach. Don't want to be. I am best in the classroom inspiring young minds. That being what it is I don't understand Texas coaching in the 4th quarter. When OU went to the 5 guard lineup in the 4th Im scratching my head as to why Jatarie White stayed in the game. Texas needed 5 guards on the floor to stop the bleeding. They were up 20 and the Sooners took it down to 8 I believe. I mean Texas got the win but I didn't understand the coaching strategy or rather counter to what OU was doing.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Rellah Boothe is not proving to be the player she proclaimed herself to be. I can understand Holmes having an off night with it being her first game in months, but I expected more from Booth.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Rellah Boothe is not proving to be the player she proclaimed herself to be. I can understand Holmes having an off night with it being her first game in months, but I expected more from Booth.
She did get 2 points and 4 rebounds in only 6 minutes of play. On a per-40 basis, that's not too bad :)

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
At some point I think Holmes will help Texas.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
She did get 2 points and 4 rebounds in only 6 minutes of play. On a per-40 basis, that's not too bad :)

Shocking that a player who was ranked that high can barely get any playing time.

If the games are reduced to 6 minutes I want her on my team.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Rellah Boothe is so noticeable when she takes the court. She does some nice things. You can tell she is talented. Had she gone to a school that needed a 6’3 PF immediately i bet she would have some descent numbers.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
At some point I think Holmes will help Texas.

Texas is still a very dangerous team that I am concerned about. They have so much talent and eventually it will click and they will be a load to handle.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Shocking that a player who was ranked that high can barely get any playing time.

If the games are reduced to 6 minutes I want her on my team.
Not sure why it should be surprising. Texas already has a deep roster, and is it a shock that Boothe needs work on shot selection and team discipline?

I get that people are loving taking pot shots at her for mouthing off last year, but I actually like her moxie. It's way more interesting than all the mealy-mouthed cliches that we hear over and over again.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Texas is still a very dangerous team that I am concerned about. They have so much talent and eventually it will click and they will be a load to handle.
I agree. They are athletic and quick. Higgs had a good game tonight. They have a lot of players who can score.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Not sure why it should be surprising. Texas already has a deep roster, and is it a shock that Boothe needs work on shot selection and team discipline?

I get that people are loving taking pot shots at her for mouthing off last year, but I actually like her moxie. It's way more interesting than all the mealy-mouthed cliches that we hear over and over again.

If you think you are the best you say it, if you are the best you show it.

I have nothing against her for what she said. If I would have had my feet held to the fire for eveery stupis thing I said at that age I’d be walking around with no feet.

Reaction Score
If Texas continues to rely on guards to do all the work what happens when they play teams that have more complete scoring? UConn, Baylor, MSU to name a few. All can score anywhere from the floor. The key to take these teams down will be limit post touches, rebound, and get the ball in bounded.

Texas has some of the best post players and players in the country. However, what they show on the court isn't translating. I was expecting them to blow out teams left and right, but that just isn't the case. Is it coaching, chemistry, or a slump? Not sure but was very worried about them and now I'm wondering why I was so worried.

I think they looked better last year.

Reaction Score

I don't really care about her mouth ---- yet. She may never say another thing again etc. But . . . playing just 6 minutes -- and this season so far shooting 38.5% from the floor. Just because she makes a play or two in 6 minutes, this doesn't change the fact she is unimpressive at the moment. I think it is more than the UCONN fan that would say so far she has been unimpressive.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
From the little I saw of her, she is a bull in a china shop. Very strong body and tough attitude should make her a handful on the inside but she feels the need
to float on the outside trying to make guard moves and shooting 3's. Aston is trying to reign her in but she seems too stubborn.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
From the little I saw of her, she is a bull in a china shop. Very strong body and tough attitude should make her a handful on the inside but she feels the need
to float on the outside trying to make guard moves and shooting 3's. Aston is trying to reign her in but she seems too stubborn.

Agreed. Skillwise she has incredible upside. She has good handles, is very quick, left handed, strong as a bull and can shoot from the perimeter. Can't think of anyone in the women's game who has a skill set and body type like her. In terms of upside, I think her ceiling is higher than anyone I've seen from the 2017 class.

All that said, when she's on the floor she never seems to be in rhythm with her teammates. She has this look in her eye of "it's my time to shine" rather than run the offense that Aston wants them to. She takes a lot of shots and likes the ball in her hands most of the time. To me, her attitude was a huge red flag with how she was declaring herself the #1 player and that she'd score 45 points per game her senior year. Between that and how she's played so far this year, it appears she may have an "all about me" attitude rather than thinking about how she can help her team win and what role she can play in that. Not sure she recognizes that Aston is the one who decides on playing time so she needs to start buying in if she wants to see the court. Talent wise, she absolutely should be starting over Caron-Godreau.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
This game was a good example of how certain teams get up for UCONN. Manning did not look like the same player against Texas. She had fifteen points against UCONN in the first half but with six minutes to play in the third quarter, she was in single digits. I know she did not score at all in the second half. Oklahoma did not play as smart and did not give the same amount of energy against Texas. Everyone gets up for UCONN.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom