Texas musings | The Boneyard

Texas musings

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
  1. We won, so that's a good thing.
  2. Kind of shocked that we only had 13 assists. It seemed like more than that.
  3. It seemed like every time we got the lead to more than 2 buckets and were poised to put some breathing room between us and TX, we would shoot ourselves in the foot, and give up a couple posessions with either a turnover or a shot attempt so poor it might as well have been a turnover, letting them right back in,
  4. Miller definitely had his best game in quite a while.
  5. I was shocked to see Gibbs' line. It felt to me like he played a lot better than a 2/11 shooting percentage would indicate. Maybe the 4:0 dime to giveaway ratio had something to do with it.
  6. Shaka Smart was Shaka Dumb when he had them commit a foul before the inbounds pass at the end. Especially since they fouled Gibbs. Prevented him from getting his offensive players back in for endgame.
  7. I remember a couple games last year where Purvis shot FTs well. Sure wish he could find that stroke again, because other than that, he is a hellofa player.
  8. Early on, I think it was Facey that got a blocking call when he clearly had position before the offensive player made his move. That made me worry that the game would be called wth a lot more home cooking than it was.
  9. Facey had a good outing. Not spectacular, and he mishandled a pass or two that he maybe should have caught cleanly, but overall, I was more than satisfied with his 7 point, 8 board, 1 block, 1 assist performance.
  10. I thought we did a better job defending the 3 point shooters than we have all year. and probably all last year, too. TX has been strong from three, and they shot 26% tonight.

Reaction Score
I think in the long run the way this game played out will help more than a blow out would have. There is something to be said about winning a game where I believe the biggest lead either was six points (or around that). It builds character and toughness.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
@RichZ so would you say our perimeter defense was better tonight without Brimah in there :D

Reaction Score
I think in the long run the way this game played out will help more than a blow out would have. There is something to be said about winning a game where I believe the biggest lead either was six points (or around that). It builds character and toughness.
I meant "the biggest lead either team had". This is to correct a Woodford Reserve caused posting error.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I liked Gibbs' game last night.

He shot poorly and that will happen.

He didn't force shots. They were in the flow of the offense and were good looks.

He got to the rim and made his layups.

At the end of the game he was calm and made his FT's.

Going forward, the last two minutes will be Gibbs and Adams with Calhoun/Purvis subbing O/D due to Purvis' FT%.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
  1. We won, so that's a good thing.
  2. Kind of shocked that we only had 13 assists. It seemed like more than that.
  3. It seemed like every time we got the lead to more than 2 buckets and were poised to put some breathing room between us and TX, we would shoot ourselves in the foot, and give up a couple posessions with either a turnover or a shot attempt so poor it might as well have been a turnover, letting them right back in,
  4. Miller definitely had his best game in quite a while.
  5. I was shocked to see Gibbs' line. It felt to me like he played a lot better than a 2/11 shooting percentage would indicate. Maybe the 4:0 dime to giveaway ratio had something to do with it.
  6. Shaka Smart was Shaka Dumb when he had them commit a foul before the inbounds pass at the end. Especially since they fouled Gibbs. Prevented him from getting his offensive players back in for endgame.
  7. I remember a couple games last year where Purvis shot FTs well. Sure wish he could find that stroke again, because other than that, he is a hellofa player.
  8. Early on, I think it was Facey that got a blocking call when he clearly had position before the offensive player made his move. That made me worry that the game would be called wth a lot more home cooking than it was.
  9. Facey had a good outing. Not spectacular, and he mishandled a pass or two that he maybe should have caught cleanly, but overall, I was more than satisfied with his 7 point, 8 board, 1 block, 1 assist performance.
  10. I thought we did a better job defending the 3 point shooters than we have all year. and probably all last year, too. TX has been strong from three, and they shot 26% tonight.
1. Always
2. Okay. Seemed that a couple of Alley Oops went wrong.
3. Happens in every game so far. Turn overs, missed chippys. Actually trying to give the game away. Wife was upstairs and yelling back at me "are you okay"
4. Miller is a stud waiting to happen. Every game he improves. That one armed put back jam has to be Top Ten plays. He is a smart player underneath.
5. I agree. But I will remember Gibbs icing this game with his foul shooting. More on the charity stripe later.
6. Okay
7. More on the charity stripe. Here I will remember Purvis missing his free throws which would have increased the scoring but only to give Texas more chances to close the gap. Horrible. Even though Rodney scored big, I still remember more on the missed free throws. Same as #5 with Gibbs. Somewhat like Manning throws for 3 TD's and 400 yards. But throws a bad choice interception to lose the game. Which do you remember. That is just me.
8. Agreed
9. I agree 100%
10. Glad you looked at the stats Rich. I did not. I thought the percentage would of been higher. Sure seemed like at one point they knocked down 3 threes which put them ahead by 1. Mack did not have any trouble. I am still not happy with perimeter defense. The only contested three I saw was Felix throwing down one with a hand in his face.
In any case, a huge win,

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Early on, I think it was Facey that got a blocking call when he clearly had position before the offensive player made his move. That made me worry that the game would be called wth a lot more home cooking than it was.

I remember thinking that at the time, but after I saw the replay, you can see that Facey was just inside the arc where you can't take a charge. The ref even signals to the floor to specify that's what he was calling.

Reaction Score
It's getting to the point where Purvis can't be in the game when we're up in the final minute or so. The kid just cannot make his free throws, especially in a 1 and 1 situation with the pressure on.

That was a frustrating game to watch despite the win for a ton of reasons, but free throw shooting was the main concern I had. It wasn't just Purvis missing, it was a lot of people. When Gibbs stepped to the line to close it out I was very nervous.

We also turned the ball over way, way too much. At one point down the stretch we were called for 2 carries and someone stepped OB on 3 consecutive possessions. It was a great win, a win we needed, but we really could've blown them out on their own floor

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
@RichZ so would you say our perimeter defense was better tonight without Brimah in there :D

It was better tonight than it has been. Don't see that it has anything to do with Brimah's presence or lack thereof. I think it was just a matter of executing the game plan to shut down TX two primary 3pt threats (Felix & Davis Jr.) which we did. Taylor drove at will though, and that might have been less of a problem with Amida in there. We didn't account for Mack (26% from 3 before last night) suddenly finding his stroke, but the D was designed to limit the 3 point shooters that we expected to be a problem, not the one we were ignoring.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
...free throw shooting was the main concern I had. It wasn't just Purvis missing, it was a lot of people.

If you take away Rodney's 0 for 3, we were 11 of 14 (78.5%) and no-one missed more than one FT.

Reaction Score
It was better tonight than it has been. Don't see that it has anything to do with Brimah's presence or lack thereof. I think it was just a matter of executing the game plan to shut down TX two primary 3pt threats (Felix & Davis Jr.) which we did. Taylor drove at will though, and that might have been less of a problem with Amida in there. We didn't account for Mack (26% from 3 before last night) suddenly finding his stroke, but the D was designed to limit the 3 point shooters that we expected to be a problem, not the one we were ignoring.

Here's the issue with the "less of a problem with AB in there" - we have to also account for Facey's time and our rebounding would have been more of a problem with AB in there. So while yeah he would have altered another shot or 2 but maybe Facey's rebounding and keeping balls alive has to account for something too? Can't have both and I like what we got last night. It becomes even better when they both are playing in the game, and Kentan will get more minutes now.

Reaction Score
If you take away Rodney's 0 for 3, we were 11 of 14 (78.5%) and no-one missed more than one FT.
Guess it seemed worse than it was, but that still means that before Gibbs stepped up and made the last 4, we were 7 for 13.

And a lot of those missed were missed on the front end of a 1 and 1, right? That's as bad as missing twice

Reaction Score
Here's the issue with the "less of a problem with AB in there" - we have to also account for Facey's time and our rebounding would have been more of a problem with AB in there. So while yeah he would have altered another shot or 2 but maybe Facey's rebounding and keeping balls alive has to account for something too? Can't have both and I like what we got last night. It becomes even better when they both are playing in the game, and Kentan will get more minutes now.
I agree with you but objectivity goes out the window when it comes to you on Brimah.

Reaction Score
I agree with you but objectivity goes out the window when it comes to you on Brimah.

Out the window or not, I speak the truth here so I really appreciate the reply out of both sides of the mouth. Why even bother?:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom