Texas Home and Home Postponed a Year | The Boneyard

Texas Home and Home Postponed a Year

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That's Texas and Louisville postponing games. It's going to be even more difficult next year.

I don't think it's accurate to say Louisville postponed the game set to be played at Barclay's. Louisville was the first to announce the postponement.

And it was Walz on Wednesday who said that the game, which was expected to be part of an event scheduled for the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, will not happen in part due to the coronavirus pandemic.

In between, UConn and Louisville never signed a contract to play though there were talks between the schools over the past few months.

So any matchup between the former Big East and American Athletic Conference (for one season) foes will have to wait.

“Because of what’s going on right now it was probably going to be difficult to be able to get much of a crowd in there right now,” Walz said on a conference call that was replayed on the Louisville athletic website. “So instead of just doing a wait-and-see, I think we’ve agreed to push it back a year. So we’ll hopefully get it worked out for next year and be able to get that up and going again.”

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As Carl points out, UConn remains one game over the limit.

The delay also helps the Huskies as they now need to reschedule only one more contest to reach the NCAA limit for games in 2020-21. UConn’s move to the Big East and its 20-game league schedule compared to the American Athletic Conference’s 16-game league schedule had it over the limit.

The Huskies have contracts to host Arkansas-Little Rock, Dayton, Maryland, South Carolina, while visiting Baylor, California, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Virginia in 2020-21. They will also take part in the Hall of Fame Women’s Challenge at Mohegan Sun Arena. UConn will face in-state foe Quinnipiac on Nov. 28 and either Mississippi State or Maine the next day. The Hall of Fame Challenge is considered a Qualifying Regular Season Multi-Team Event, meaning that it does not count against the regular season schedule limit.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

The delay also helps the Huskies as they now need to reschedule only one more contest to reach the NCAA limit for games in 2020-21. UConn’s move to the Big East and its 20-game league schedule compared to the American Athletic Conference’s 16-game league schedule had it over the limit.

The Huskies have contracts to host Arkansas-Little Rock, Dayton, Maryland, South Carolina, while visiting Baylor, California, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Virginia in 2020-21. They will also take part in the Hall of Fame Women’s Challenge at Mohegan Sun Arena. UConn will face in-state foe Quinnipiac on Nov. 28 and either Mississippi State or Maine the next day. The Hall of Fame Challenge is considered a Qualifying Regular Season Multi-Team Event, meaning that it does not count against the regular season schedule limit.
That is one HELL of an OOC schedule. Most of those teams were at, or near, the top of their conferences. Virginia had a losing record and Cal was dead last in their conference, but I expect both teams to be better this year. Add to that the Big East - Depaul, Creighton, Seton Hall, SJU, Butler, and maybe a few others are far better than the middle of the American conference should make for an even more challenging schedule next season.

I will admit I'm not thrilled with having to play 20 big east games. But beggars can't be choosers.

Reaction Score

I say drop VA.... No Walker no need for that blow out win in OOC....

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I say drop VA.... No Walker no need for that blow out win in OOC....

Not going to happen. That would mean breaking a contract and paying whatever the damages are at a time when UConn is cutting sports. Better to work on rescheduling.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe a home and home with Yale..Head bang
That’s really not a bad idea, considering that in this post COVID-19 world, keeping air travel and hotel stays to a minimum is a good idea. Throw in a home & home with Quinnipiac and that’s a couple road games UConn can get on a bus, play the game and be back on campus the same day. Best of all, the games would probably be sellouts at Yale & Quinnipiac.....assuming fans are allowed......:(

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That’s really not a bad idea, considering that in this post COVID-19 world, keeping air travel and hotel stays to a minimum is a good idea. Throw in a home & home with Quinnipiac and that’s a couple road games UConn can get on a bus, play the game and be back on campus the same day. Best of all, the games would probably be sellouts at Yale & Quinnipiac.....assuming fans are allowed......:(
Or maybe Princeton??!!

Reaction Score

I would drop the Cal game at Cal - three time zones for what? Unless Stanford is on the "Left" coast trip, I don't see the value of that travel cost. Duke, NC State, Boston College, or Syracuse will be more challenging at this point...

Reaction Score
That is one HELL of an OOC schedule. Most of those teams were at, or near, the top of their conferences. Virginia had a losing record and Cal was dead last in their conference, but I expect both teams to be better this year. Add to that the Big East - Depaul, Creighton, Seton Hall, SJU, Butler, and maybe a few others are far better than the middle of the American conference should make for an even more challenging schedule next season.

I will admit I'm not thrilled with having to play 20 big east games. But beggars can't be choosers.
20 Big East womens' games is a small price to pay in return for 20 Big East mens' games. That trade-off is a no-brainer.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I would drop the Cal game at Cal - three time zones for what? Unless Stanford is on the "Left" coast trip, I don't see the value of that travel cost. Duke, NC State, Boston College, or Syracuse will be more challenging at this point...
Left coast games have a value beyond the games themselves. Going out there stirs up the recruiting base a bit and winning games underscores what the trade off might be for staying close to home. The team flies home to Storrs and a couple of the coaches make a few recruiting visits.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Left coast games have a value beyond the games themselves. Going out there stirs up the recruiting base a bit and winning games underscores what the trade off might be for staying close to home. The team flies home to Storrs and a couple of the coaches make a few recruiting visits.

Plus, "dropping" the Cal game would be in violation of the contract UConn signed. Remember Cal traveled to Storrs last season. UConn owes Cal a home game and just dropping that obligation comes with a financial penalty that UConn probably doesn't want to pay. It's better and cheaper to reschedule a game.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
First, second, of many...There's going to be lots of cancellations.
The whole sports thing is falling apart...
Djokovick, Phillies, 76-ers, Koepka...

People just having a hard time facing reality..

Record number of new cases....have to admit, I'm surprised.
Believed the propaganda that virus would wane; at least in the summer.
Silly, silly boy.

Stay safe...

7:23 AM: Cowboys-Steelers Hall of Fall Game called off

9:15 AM: Forward Jabari Parker and center Alex Len of the Sacramento Kings said Wednesday that they tested positive for the coronavirus.

10:51 AM (taking a break from the book I writing) Ezekiel Elliot frets about safety: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...e-updates-us/#link-GED7E2WLPRAFXN5AACQGSSYW24

12:13 (CNN)Executives from the Boston Red Sox, Detroit Tigers and Seattle Mariners have all announced positive coronavirus test results within their respective Major League Baseball organizations.

I imagine I've made my point. :)
Time to relent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Have to question whether this is really a target recruiting market. In the past ten years, we have two key recruits, KLS and KML. As two of the top players in the country, Geno would have been targeting them just as he did Paige in MN and Collier in MO. Particularly in the days of Covid, high travel games may not have a great return on investment.

Reaction Score
Does Jeff Walz think any college games will be packed? Not the way the virus keeps increasing around the country.

Reaction Score
Understand your point. Thanks for correcting me, I am stronger for it!

Instead of drop, go with reschedule Cal for for next year after Fall Final exams, and try to get Stanford and Oregon and/or Baylor in a holiday tournament such as "1100 win club [Geno/CD & VanDerveer] + Two Tournament" OR
have the Hall of Fame tournament held on the Left Coast [Stanford, Oregon, UCONN and throw in the highest ranked/2021 NCAA tourn. placer from Left Coast/west of the Mississippi River & have a 3rd/4th place game to have two games guaranteed] AND receive an exemption from total number of games from the NCAA {may need present administrators at the NCAA to retire first.... ; )} My real hope is that Stanford drops two games to pad Geno's lead over VanDerveer (which should be the fact by the time this tournament gets off the ground as Geno is only three games behind currently, and only 9 wins away from 1100 wins...)
Have it hosted at the highest place Left Coast School from the 2021 tournament - if eliminated at the same round, tie-breaker to final Coach's rankings prior to the NCAA tournament. My thought is Big Games early help show where strengths can be made stronger, and weaknesses can be shown and improved upon faster than the opponents can adjust. UCONN will always be better when we see those teams again when it really matters ==> Final Four AND the National Championship game, 2021!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom