Texas hires Louisville's HC Charlie Strong! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Texas hires Louisville's HC Charlie Strong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you have the chance to hire a guy who lost at home in a big game to a Paul Pasqualoni Uconn team, yuou do it. Especially when his one big plus, recruiting Florida, is not really that big a deal for your school and when that plus is tied to a guy known for illegal practices.

sounds like a home run hire

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I don't think I would discount Strong's chances. If he can't or doesn't bring Hurtt he would be able to bring in several TX equivalents on his staff at UT. The main concern would be can he handle the media spotlight, budget time for LHN, and handle the factional politics at UT, but those concerns apply to any candidate. Maybe a couple HC's at big SEC schools can point to their responsibilities... but Saban ain't walking through that door.

Reaction Score
Money is not a problem for Texas. That ain't it.
It was something related to tax implications of the buyout. A similar scenario kept june jones at SMU when Arizona State wanted to hire him, at least that is what I read on Twitter.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Following this news this morning has made me really see a hopeful parallel with UConn.

UL was 15-21 in 3 seasons under Kragthorpe, who followed UL's Orange Bowl appearance under Petrino. UConn went 10-18 in 2.5 seasons under PP, who followed UConn's Fiesta Bowl appearance. UL hired Charlie Strong, a young DC from a high profile school, who rejuvenated the team and in 4 years went 36-15 and landed them a spot in the ACC thanks to a strong football "presence" at the time. UConn hires Bon Diaco, a young DC from a high profile school, and hopefully we are successful and in four years are moving into a P5 conference and if Diaco moves on to a higher job, he has done his part.

It's really uncanny when you look at it. Hopefully Diaco can be our Charlie Strong.

Reaction Score
Sigh. If only the ACC's expansion had taken taken place a few years later, or a few years sooner. Or, if UConn had hired Herbst a few years earlier, or gotten rid of Hathaway. Timing is everything.

This. So many times this.

Paul, George, & Jeffy made us losers at the exact time we needed to be winners. 3 years either way, and the chips likely fall in a different direction.

It was the worst possible timing for us to be bad....and quite possibly the only time we COULDN'T be bad.....and we were.

Reaction Score
I don't think I would discount Strong's chances. If he can't or doesn't bring Hurtt he would be able to bring in several TX equivalents on his staff at UT. The main concern would be can he handle the media spotlight, budget time for LHN, and handle the factional politics at UT, but those concerns apply to any candidate. Maybe a couple HC's at big SEC schools can point to their responsibilities... but Saban ain't walking through that door.

Luck is the collision of opportunity and preparation. We had plenty of the former, and none of the latter. Warde still probably doesn't understand how he fits into the process.

Reaction Score
Is Hurtt the Louisville guy originally from the U who was suspended, or punished or what have u. Is he able to leave with Strong or is he stuck in purgatory right now by the NCAA?

He is and he now has a "Show Cause" anchor.

Reaction Score
Now that the rose bowl is over this is a "better opportunity" p5 move that Narduzi could make..... That would suck but I can see it happening.

I do not see Narduzzi going to Texas; but, I can see him taking over State if the rumors of Dantonio not being interested in Austin are false. Louisville or Miami coil be of interest to him if one or both open up.

Reaction Score
SIPeteThamel11:07am via Web
UPDATE: Terms set for Texas and Strong. Deep in negotiations. Buyout looms. No decision imminent.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-footba…

ericcrawford9:55am via Web
Source tells me Clint Hurtt definitely an issue.

“@schadjoe: Louisville assistant Clint Hurtt, excellent recruiter w NCAA findings, not expected to follow Strong to Texas.”

“@SIPeteThamel: SOURCE: Both sides working through issues in the Texas-Strong negotiation. A resolution is expected. Typical contract details.”

Coincidence?

Reaction Score
“@schadjoe: Louisville assistant Clint Hurtt, excellent recruiter w NCAA findings, not expected to follow Strong to Texas.”

“@SIPeteThamel: SOURCE: Both sides working through issues in the Texas-Strong negotiation. A resolution is expected. Typical contract details.”

Coincidence?

Excellent recruiter w/ NCAA findings = "He got caught". So he's an average recruiter when he doesn't cheat?

Why is there no problem while he's at UL but if he went to Texas there is an issue? (regarding his Miami cheating)

Reaction Score
... And away we go:

“@BFeldmanCBS: With Charlie Strong off to #Texas, I'd expect #Louisville to consider Pat Narduzzi, Tom Herman, Chad Morris, Kirby Smart & Pete Lembo.”

Edit add:
“@BFeldmanCBS: Another intriguing name to watch for at #Louisville: ULL's Mark Hudspeth, who is 93-33 as a HC & 27-12 (3-0 in bowls) at ULL”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It will always puzzle me how the ACC didn't add 3 state flagship institutions in UConn, Rutgers, and West Virginia.

Their football power Louisville just lost the two people that made them leap frog UConn.

Louisville is a very good program with elite hoops and while they are sitting on top of the world now, I'll always take the flagship state institution over the city school.

"state Flagship institutions"?

Great...What does that have to do with much?

I'd take FSU over Rutgers, Clemson over Rutgers, Miami over Rutgers...Notre Dame over Indiana, etc.

I'd rather have the better program then a meaningless title.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I get the feeling that Louisville will go with an offensive guy. FSU and Clemson run hyper offenses and I think UL will try to keep up.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Excellent recruiter w/ NCAA findings = "He got caught". So he's an average recruiter when he doesn't cheat?

Yup, that's what I got out of that tweet, too.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
So glad we have our guy locked up and aren't playing the Game if Coaches.
Because we all know that when you play the Game of Coaches, you either win....or stay in the AAC forever.

Reaction Score

Why is there no problem while he's at UL but if he went to Texas there is an issue? (regarding his Miami cheating)

“@BDavisAAS: Two sources tell @statesman that L'Ville asst Clint Hurtt will not be allowed to come to Austin b/c of NCAA show cause penalty. #longhorns”

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
"state Flagship institutions"?

Great...What does that have to do with much?

I'd take FSU over Rutgers, Clemson over Rutgers, Miami over Rutgers...Notre Dame over Indiana, etc.

I'd rather have the better program then a meaningless title.

No . Did anyone say UConn over FSU or Pitt over Miami.

The question was UConn over a Syracuse or West Virginia over Ville, etc.

The state flagship schools in the northeast have more staying power. Period.

Reaction Score
Looks like it is official:
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN2m
Charlie Strong informed UL AD Tom Jurich tonight he was leaving UL for Texas a source told @ESPN

Yup....
“@rickbozich: A source confirms to WDRB that Charlie Strong has told U of L AD Tom Jurich that he is leaving for the Texas football job.”

Let's see how Jurich spins this to Forde and McMurphy,

Reaction Score
Yup....
“@rickbozich: A source confirms to WDRB that Charlie Strong has told U of L AD Tom Jurich that he is leaving for the Texas football job.”

Let's see how Jurich spins this to Forde and McMurphy,
Yup...let's see how loud Louisville fans bitch when Jurich does this:

Jeremy Fowler ‏@JFowlerCBS41m
Hearing same. Surprised he hasn't gotten more HC looks RT @BFeldmanCBS Hearing a name to watch at #Louisville is #Stanford DC Derek Mason.

instead of their list of Narduzzi, Chad Morris, Kirby Smart, James Franklin...because you know they are a Top 25 job..one of THE top jobs in the ACC...LOL

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Better ACC jobs:

Notre Dame (if you're inclined to call it an ACC job)
Florida st
Clemson
Miami
UNC
UVA
Virginia Tech

They might be on the same plane as Syracuse, Pitt, NC State, Georgia Tech and BC.

Duke and Wake aren't very good jobs, IMO, regardless of how good Duke was this year.

Reaction Score
Cry me a river with this tweet:

• LouisvilleSportsLive ‏@LvilleSprtsLive3m
    The stress of Strong's decision was high, but the #UofL players deserved better than to find out through social media that he was leaving.

Tom Jurich spin factory in FULL effect!!!! Jurich "conveniently" got stuck in Steamboat Springs CO where he was on vacation.

Reaction Score
Cry me a river with this tweet:

• [ ] LouisvilleSportsLive ‏@LvilleSprtsLive3m
    The stress of Strong's decision was high, but the #UofL players deserved better than to find out through social media that he was leaving.

Tom Jurich spin factory in FULL effect!!!! Jurich "conveniently" got stuck in Steamboat Springs CO where he was on vacation.

So let me get this straight. Strong makes the decision to go to Texas. He tells a few close friends and family, Texas AD and BoT members leak it to a few media folks who in turn spit it out all over the internet.

Before Strong and can even get back to UL campus, the world knows about it AND HE is the reason social media told his players before HE did?

Really? :confused:

Reaction Score
So let me get this straight. Strong makes the decision to go to Texas. He tells a few close friends and family, Texas AD and BoT members leak it to a few media folks who in turn spit it out all over the internet.

Before Strong and can even get back to UL campus, the world knows about it AND HE is the reason social media told his players before HE did?

Really? :confused:
more like his AD was om vacation in CO..couldn't get a flight out so he had to wait to tell his team....TOATAL Jurich spin job here. He played his hand...went all in with UT and lost. Now this job is being touted as a top 25 job in the country. This search will be fun to watch. This recruiting class will get picked apart. From some of these kids tweets, they chose Louisville solely because of Strong.

Reaction Score
... And away we go:

“@BFeldmanCBS: With Charlie Strong off to #Texas, I'd expect #Louisville to consider Pat Narduzzi, Tom Herman, Chad Morris, Kirby Smart & Pete Lembo.”

Edit add:
“@BFeldmanCBS: Another intriguing name to watch for at #Louisville: ULL's Mark Hudspeth, who is 93-33 as a HC & 27-12 (3-0 in bowls) at ULL”

These "experts" kill me - his latest list:

“@BFeldmanCBS: With Charlie Strong off to #Texas, names to keep an eye on at #Louisville: Derek Mason, Pat Narduzzi, mark Hudspeth, Tom Herman, Chad Morris”

What happened to Smart and Lembo in 2 hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom