Texas Hires AAU Coach | The Boneyard

Texas Hires AAU Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
http://www.texassports.com/sports/w-...050112aaa.html

Texas hires DFW Elite coach George Washington. This will surely give Texas an "in" with some AAU players. Sound familiar?

Hoopgurlz lists Briana Turner's AAU team as DFW Elite Washington. I have no idea if there is a connection between the Washington portion of the team name. I believe that Turner is on UCONN's radar if I am not mistaken.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I posted last week that this would happen. Totally a shady move, albeit technically not a violation of any rules.

Reaction Score
http://www.texassports.com/sports/w-...050112aaa.html

Texas hires DFW Elite coach George Washington. This will surely give Texas an "in" with some AAU players. Sound familiar?

Hoopgurlz lists Briana Turner's AAU team as DFW Elite Washington. I have no idea if there is a connection between the Washington portion of the team name. I believe that Turner is on UCONN's radar if I am not mistaken.

Yes, he did coach her. Interesting video:

dfw elite - washington Skills training

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As I said previously the NCAA needs a simple rule preventing players from playing for a coach hired under such circumstances. These hires are happening far too often in an attempt to impact recruiting.

Reaction Score
As I said previously the NCAA needs a simple rule preventing players from playing for a coach hired under such circumstances. These hires are happening far too often in an attempt to impact recruiting.

Are you proposing that an AAU coach should not be able to coach on a team that has former AAU players? Or that if the coach moves to the college ranks from AAU that they not be able to recruit former players?

My only problem with the former is that it kills job mobility and job growth. College coaching is often rather lucrative and a blanket ban on moving to the college ranks seems rather extreme in my opinion.

For example say a young assistant coach gets a head coaching gig. I could see why they would want to hire an AAU coach as an assistant. They tend to be charismatic, know how recruiting works and know how to evaluate talent.

Also on the other side, look at the UK coach. I believe he got his start at the AAU level. It seems like that is a good place to start for a young coach. You get to work with talented players and network with college coaches.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't see this as a big issue - every coaching hire may bring certain 'ins' with players they have been involved with previously. And if we were to try and correct this, we would be screwing with peoples ability to make a living and with players ability to choose the college of their choice. Another huge advantage is for the coaches working the USA basketball teams - are we to say they cannot then recruit any of that talent? Or coaches that run camps?
The only issue I would have is if the hire ends up being short term - one year during a recruiting cycle for a single player and then gone. That would certainly smell bad!
In terms of hiring AAU coaches, they probably bring a high level of recruiting help because they have the most connections at the HS level, but the nature of most AAU set-ups mean that they may not have great teaching experience - they seldom get practice time with their teams so their ability is more game management than actual skills development.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I see no problem with hiring AAU coaches, unless as stated, the AAU coach is hired just long enough to pull in a top recruit and then is released. I see this as no different as hiring a top name coach that you think is going to bring in recruits based on name recognition.

UT hired Aston for her ties to Texas recruiting. I am sure that one of her key objectives was to bring in a staff that could help with that. DFW Elite is going to be a great connection for years to come and Aston struck while the fire is hot.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Trash: is it correct that Baylor loses nobody from its starting five next year? Maybe one loss from the bench regulars? I read somewhere that their recruiting class is a good one.....are any expected to crack the starting 5 or the regular rotation? It sounds like Baylor will be deeper than this past year?

Will they get any serious competition from the Big 12....Texas A&M? The gap between the Bears and everybody else in the league seems cavernous.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, that is exactly what I am suggesting. We worry to death over who is calling whom or who is tweeting whom or is friends on Facebook but then swallow the whole hog when it comes to allowing an AAU coach to join a staff and potentially bring a cluster of elite players with her or him. Hiring an AAU coach does far more to create imbalance in recruiting than any other single thing that can be done.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't think anything can be done. I don't even think it is unethical - provided the coach remains on staff - or moves on upwards. The closest I have seen to potentially unethical was when Andy Landers hired a recruits mother. She was around a couple of years and then gone. But she did have basketball experience and, after all, if he hired her then that was 1/3 his coaching staff for better or worse.

What would you do about the former Georgetown coach - forbid her from recruiting through her brother??? And if an Assistant / Recruiting Coordinator goes to a new school - do they have to turn in their list of contacts they were recruiting for their old school and agree not to try and recruit them to their new school.

Perfiddle. Life is not always fair.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Trash: is it correct that Baylor loses nobody from its starting five next year? Maybe one loss from the bench regulars? I read somewhere that their recruiting class is a good one.....are any expected to crack the starting 5 or the regular rotation? It sounds like Baylor will be deeper than this past year?

Will they get any serious competition from the Big 12....Texas A&M? The gap between the Bears and everybody else in the league seems cavernous.

TAMU will be in the SEC next year... Oklahoma and Kansas will probably be 2, and 3..... but the gap between 1 and 2 will definitely be bigger then in any other conference... just like this season.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Baylor returns the starting 5. Colndrey was a good player off the bench but incoming freshman, Prince, will fill that void. Pope will continue to come off the bench and look for Mariah Chandler, once the number 2 forward in her class, to return and log a lot of productive minutes. She's 6-2 and a great athlete. I'm very excited about her return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom