Texas gets big 2014 recruit | The Boneyard

Texas gets big 2014 recruit

Status
Not open for further replies.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
The state of Texas is loaded with some great guard talent in 2014 and 2015.

With McCarty playing the point, this probably knocks Texas out of contention for 2014 PG Recee Caldwell (have no idea how strong a player UT is/was).

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I have a feeling that Texas is going to climb higher in the Big 12 the next few seasons. They have the coach that's got the inside connections that GG couldn't get!

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Coach Aston definitely appears to have what it takes in hiring assistants who know how to recruit the state of Texas. So far, she has landed in-state commitments in the last few months from:

PG Brooke McCartey
W Jalea Bennett

SG Lashann Higgs (asst. coach's daughter)
PG Alyssa Dry
F Jordan Hosey (Brianna Turner's Manvel H.S. tammate)

She should obtain LOIs on Wendesday from four 2013 in-state kids. Not bad considering a late start.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Solid recruits. No game changers yet. Gail recruited better, for all the criticism she got. If Texas lands Turner, it would obviously be a coup and a game changer. And also somewhat shady as to how it was done (hiring her AAU coach is unseemly in my book).

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Solid recruits. No game changers yet. Gail recruited better, for all the criticism she got. If Texas lands Turner, it would obviously be a coup and a game changer. And also somewhat shady as to how it was done (hiring her AAU coach is unseemly in my book).
That doesn't seem to make sense to me (altho totally agree no game changers yet)... What top kids did Gail actually land? Cokie Reed? She was the only top 10 kid Gail landed in her 5 full years of recruiting at Texas, and Stafford was the only top 20 kid (going back to 2008 or so). Her top kids by year if my research is correct...
  1. 2008 Ashley Gayle #42 (18th ranked class)
  2. 2009 Cokie Reed #5 (13th ranked class)
  3. 2010 Tiffany Moore #22 (17th ranked class)
  4. 2011 Nneka Enampkali #32 (11th ranked class)
  5. 2012 Imani Stafford #11 (13th ranked class)
Now in reality, getting a class in the top 20 every single year since 2008 really should have put her teams squarely in the top 25. She certainly did not recruit as well as aTm or Baylor during the same time period, nor did her teams perform nearly as well - she never made it past the 2nd round in the NCAA's. In fact, after her first year as HC, she never made it past the 1st round...

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score

While 2015 is a ways off, Higgs and Dry are both national top 10 prospects, I believe. Hosey isn't far behind.

According to recruiting rankings, Coach G's signees may have been "better" (than the 2013 kids expected to sign on Wednesday). But, they didn't translate to all-conference players. Chassidy Fussell may end up being her best signee, and she was one of the least heralded.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Hiring AAU coaches is part of what new coaches do now. Would be stupid not to hire qualified coaches who also have connections. Her hires certainly put her a little closer to landing Turner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom