Texas fires Todd Orlando | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Texas fires Todd Orlando

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lashlee Offense was a Case Study in what can happen if one side never considers consequences. Sure Crocker used far more youth & things got worse in 2018.
Because they didn't burn clock?

Reaction Score
Because they didn't burn clock?

Yes

I know you hate to agree with Edsall. But we had a week Defense with scant amount of Depth. Lashlee rammed his Offense into this Program with no regard for the effect on (what we now know) a poorly constructed defense. Exhausted. I think if you go back & review that years games ... we were often gassed after halftime. And seriously diminished capability to stay at that pace ... and Win

clock management is part of the game.

John Dunn seemed to get the idea that one had to be related to the other.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
UConn's defense is tip top anyway. Don't need any help there.
I don't understand your sarcasm.

UConn needs help on offense AND defense. If we hire a coach that specializes in one or the other, I prefer it to be offense.

Reaction Score
Addiazzo and Orlando would be an improvement. Heck, Kermit the frog and Miss Piggy could coach better...

Huge improvement, but the AD will not have the balls to make this kind of move. The focus is basketball as of right now.

Reaction Score
Yes

I know you hate to agree with Edsall. But we had a week Defense with scant amount of Depth. Lashlee rammed his Offense into this Program with no regard for the effect on (what we now know) a poorly constructed defense. Exhausted. I think if you go back & review that years games ... we were often gassed after halftime. And seriously diminished capability to stay at that pace ... and Win

This take is WILD. Would kill to have Lashlee as HC, the guy is an offensive savant and made lemonade out of a heaping pile. He had a job here and did it extremely well. You are basically taking Edsall's problem/issue in his inability to change and adapt and blaming it on Lashlee.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I really don't want a DC as a head coach. UConn needs to hire someone on the other side of the ball.
I agree I want the other side of the ball, but for different reasons. The Defensive minded guys we've hired as coaches haven't worked out all that well. I want an offensive coach as a change and to modernize how we run things.

Reaction Score
Yes

Clock management is ONLY a part of the game at the end of half/end of game.

To tell an OC to design an offense that scores points but, also take 5 minutes to score is a ridiculous thought in today's football.

The game is played at a much faster speed now than it's ever been. Offensive Coordinators at ALL levels are trying to create quick score opportunities.

You chose to attack the poster for his dislike of RE, yet you created a laughable straw-man to defend him

Reaction Score
Yes

The offense scoring too quickly as a problem is both a puzzling and concerning take.

Reaction Score
It’s rare that an offense scores too quickly. The problem comes when it doesn’t score. Three and outs and other quick possessions with multiple incompletions don’t eat up much click nor give the defense enough rest while increasing the total number of possessions per half. They also often give the opposition prime field position. All of that increases the stress on the defense.

Reaction Score
The improvement in our offense with essentially the same personnel from Diaco's last year to the Lashlee's first and only year was nothing short of amazing. Lashlee's offenses do slow down and grind out clock when his team gets a decent lead in games. We didn't see it here because our defense couldn't stop anyone. In my mind he was the best offensive OC we have ever had had here. Go back and watch a few SMU games this year and compare them to some of our games. Tell, me you wouldn't want Lashlee here over what we have now.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I actually thought Texas was more relevant this year. Actually have OU a game. Now they are forcing another reset of assistants?

If I'm Herman, I take one of the open jobs this year. I think FSU would be a very good spot for him. Same level, but a longer leash. Otherwise, he'll likely get fired next season when it doesn't miraculously end in the CFP.

Reaction Score
Yes

That defense never stopped anybody. Last year's defense was worse and this year's while improved was still atrocious. I would not put any blame on the offense for their performance. The only chance they had were to outscore opponents to try and win. Winning still should be the objective no?

Reaction Score
Yes

Won 3 games with Lashlee (as many as since then and twice as many FCS games) and had 2 games where special teams gave away chances to win 5. UConn time of possession and scoring from 2017 to 2019

29.33 minutes 23.6 points per game in 2017
31.42 minutes 22.2 points per game in 2018
32.37 minutes 18.9 points per game in 2019

It wasn't the extra 3 minutes a game the defense had to play under the super (by HCRE2.0 standards) high octane Lashlee offense, it was all the extra exertion running 50 yards down the field to set up to defend extra point kicks after opponent long touchdown plays.

Reaction Score
Clock management is ONLY a part of the game at the end of half/end of game.

To tell an OC to design an offense that scores points but, also take 5 minutes to score is a ridiculous thought in today's football.

The game is played at a much faster speed now than it's ever been. Offensive Coordinators at ALL levels are trying to create quick score opportunities.

You chose to attack the poster for his dislike of RE, yet you created a laughable straw-man to defend him

Navy is currently 11th in the country in time of possession, and 9th in the country in points scored per game. And has a 9-2 record. And is currently ranked 24th in the country. And all these stats could, and probably will, get better after the Army game. Yet is seems that in every conversation here regarding their offense, it is written off as some kind of gimmick, and nothing worth emulating. With the better athletes that UConn could recruit, there is no reason that UConn couldn’t exceed Navy’s performance. Yet apparently 2-10 is less gimmicky than 9-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom