Texas fires Todd Orlando | The Boneyard

Texas fires Todd Orlando

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I didn't really see this one coming. Mack Brown on call haha.

Reaction Score
Granted, we'd be thrilled if our head coach went 7-6, 10-4 and 7-5 (so far), but if you're the Texas AD and you're tired of Oklahoma finishing ahead of you, and your head coach fires all the key assistants he brought in, do you say "nice try" and fire him too?
And do you tell Tom H that UConn should be his next stop as head coach?

Reaction Score
It doesn't hurt to ask Orlando.... You don't know unless you ask..maybe he'd like the challenge to coach up a defense.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I am surprised Herman hasn't done better at Texas. They have insane resources financially and recruiting. He better hope new coordinators gets him in or near the final four next year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Texas' success is dependent on the other Texas and nearby schools being bad. When Baylor, Texas Tech and TCU are good to competitive, Texas A&M is rising, and Oklahoma, LSU, Alabama and Auburn are national powers, there is not enough local talent for Texas to stockpile like it did 40 years ago. Texas prooduces a lot of FBS players, but it also gets recruited heavily by almost every P5 program.

Texas had a nice 9 year run under Mack Brown between 2001 and 2009, and a total of six 10 win seasons in the other 34 since Darrell Royal retired in 1976. Tom Herman may be heading into his last season next year. Texas is probably the toughest job among any of the football "blue blood" programs.

Reaction Score
Coach in Waiting. How does Edsall exit with pride & the hope of better days recruiting top northeastern kids & FL with everyone flowing back to 1998 feeling flushed ...

one year DC into HC - with someone with talent and far wider reach into modern CFB

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
rough salary history info on Todd Orlando.

I wouldn’t force out Spanos (and looks like edsall is staying), but if he had any inclination of leaving you have to try to get TO. I understand it’s a long shot - AD David Benedict will need to open up the check book.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I would kill to have Orlando back at DC. I fear we don't have the money or the challenge. If Edsall is going (which I don't see happening this year regardless of whether people think it should), wouldn't at all mind Orlando as head coach.
I really don't want a DC as a head coach. UConn needs to hire someone on the other side of the ball. UConn doesn't pay enough to have a DC as a head coach AND hire an experienced OC. If all the money is in the head coach, then I want a more offensive minded coach.

Reaction Score
The LSU STAR Offensive Coordinator is 30 years old. Let’s presume there is some 29 year old next star that will easily embrace $200,000. The modern Offense is all around. What’s key is Balance ... as we saw with Lashlee. You can’t have 40 second drives if you exhaust your defensive construct.

Reaction Score
Herman fired everyone
The OC Too?????? If so, THAT's actually where need a guy.... But somebody committed for a little while.. Not running away after one season...

Reaction Score
The LSU STAR Offensive Coordinator is 30 years old. Let’s presume there is some 29 year old next star that will easily embrace $200,000. The modern Offense is all around. What’s key is Balance ... as we saw with Lashlee. You can’t have 40 second drives if you exhaust your defensive construct.
With all due respect, your 2nd point is silly. The offense's job is to score points. The idea that Lashlee was somehow responsible for how bad the defense was when he was here is blown out the water by the fact that were infinitely worse when Dunn slowed things down the following year. Somehow Lashlee and his offense have not been bad for SMU.

Things certainly could have changed since he was last here, but i had been told back then TO had no interest in being a HC. Some guys like Bud Foster are perfectly happy being DCs.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I really don't want a DC as a head coach. UConn needs to hire someone on the other side of the ball. UConn doesn't pay enough to have a DC as a head coach AND hire an experienced OC. If all the money is in the head coach, then I want a more offensive minded coach.

UConn's defense is tip top anyway. Don't need any help there.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, your 2nd point is silly. The offense's job is to score points. The idea that Lashlee was somehow responsible for how bad the defense was when he was here is blown out the water by the fact that were infinitely worse when Dunn slowed things down the following year. Somehow Lashlee and his offense have not been bad for SMU.

Things certainly could have changed since he was last here, but i had been told back then TO had no interest in being a HC. Some guys like Bud Foster are perfectly happy being DCs.

with all due respect ...

first. Todd Orlando often gets asked whether he wants to be a Head Coach. I certainly read the same thing you did. But subsequently he has answered that differently; but cautiously. He’s still young. His primary pull for me - and us - is he knows how difficult this complex package of recruits, fans & University is. It’s the same thing as early aughts ... and that’s less learning curve. And 2 ... he would be embraced by the dwindling Connecticut football fans.

two. Lashlee Offense was a Case Study in what can happen if one side never considers consequences. Sure Crocker used far more youth & things got worse in 2018. Credit Diaco last gasp if you’d like. I simply think you need to fully sync that Offense with your defensive capabilities. Me? I want to see moving the chains; even better OLine; and TDS when we are in the Redzone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom