Texas athletic stipend .... $10,000. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Texas athletic stipend .... $10,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That sounds right- 525 athletes @ $10,000 per athlete is $ 5.25 million. Round it up to $ 6 million just in case.
85 football players @ $60,000 each, plus 15 mens BB players @ $50,000 each, leaves $150,000 to divide up among the other 425 student athletes = $352.94 each :D

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I don't think that is correct. There is no way to get to their projected figure of $6MN counting just football and mbb.

You're forgetting program administration overhead (R1 universities usually figure it at about 54%) --- and legal fees ;^)

Reaction Score
It could all backfire. What if nobody wants to play against UT's stacked deck? That could kill the cash cow and bring them back in line in a hurry. Yeah, I know. It was just a thought.

It wouldn't just be UT. All other P5 programs would pay a stipend hence triggering the "arms race" mentioned a couple of posts earlier.

Reaction Score
Well one thing is for sure - this will hasten Geno's departure from UCONN. I always thought he would stay with it as long as he felt passionate about it, was able to recruit great kids, and that recruiting was fair, even if it changed over time (ie. recruiting kids younger than junior year). But if Universities have to start paying kids and the recruits start saying "well Texas is giving me $25,000 additional per year - can you match that", I think Geno says goodbye.

The very best high school girls dream of maximizing their physical/mental BB skills in college, competing against top competition, becoming the best player they possibly can, and then hopefully achieving the ultimate dream- the WNBA. In spite of the obscene stipend money spread around like putrid fertilizer (and it will be hard to resist), I do believe there will be a few elite kids, those truly driven to excellence, who will instead opt for 4 years tutelage with the world's best WBB coach. And Geno being Geno, I think he will see all this as just another challenge for him, his superb coaching staff, his players and the university to overcome. Geno will never run from such crap.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The very best high school girls dream of maximizing their physical/mental BB skills in college, competing against top competition, becoming the best player they possibly can, and then hopefully achieving the ultimate dream- the WNBA. In spite of the obscene stipend money spread around like putrid fertilizer (and it will be hard to resist), I do believe there will be a few elite kids, those truly driven to excellence, who will instead opt for 4 years tutelage with the world's best WBB coach. And Geno being Geno, I think he will see all this as just another challenge for him, his superb coaching staff, his players and the university to overcome. Geno will never run from such crap.
While that may be true at first, the end game is the P5 will be the only place the elite athletes can play with and against elite competition, regardless of whether one of them happens not to need the money.

I'm thinking (hoping) that the NCAA values its March Madness asset, which is rife with "Cinderella" mystique, and tries to do something to separate BB from the same fate as P5 football. But nothing is forever. The "NCAA era" may be coming to a close, as did the previous era before that. I suspect basketball will survive and the world will not end.

Reaction Score
And if Texas thinks firing Mack Brown and buying football players at $10,000 a pop will return glory to Austin- nope. It will only exacerbate the stench and reaffirm the death of collegiate amateur athletics and the NCAA.

Reaction Score
The cost of not joining the P5 is future mediocrity of all big time sports programs. For better or worse, those programs are one of the biggest marketing tools of the university; it's the university's national brand. The entire school will suffer.

Puke5 :( Football revenue drives everything, so coach Diaco had better do some hellacious recruiting. NOW, dude.

Reaction Score
While that may be true at first, the end game is the P5 will be the only place the elite athletes can play with and against elite competition, regardless of whether one of them happens not to need the money.

I'm thinking (hoping) that the NCAA values its March Madness asset, which is rife with "Cinderella" mystique, and tries to do something to separate BB from the same fate as P5 football. But nothing is forever. The "NCAA era" may be coming to a close, as did the previous era before that. I suspect basketball will survive and the world will not end.

Hmmm. Not sure. Our conference competition is weak, yet Geno wisely schedules enough top tier outside opponents (Stanford, ND, Baylor, Duke, Maryland, Penn State) to keep his guys sharp, perfect their skills, and stay on top of their game. Not every game is a bruising battle, and that helps young women's bodies rest and recuperate. Though our conference situation is not by choice, until the Puke5 becomes a reality, I actually think UConn benefits from playing the assortment of cupcakes between the toughies. In football, you could never get to a BCS championship game playing a schedule filled with jellos. In basketball, men's and women's, you can.

Reaction Score
Geno will love coaching at Texas. Great place to live, very cosmopolitan and they love immigrants. Such great wine & dining, and they are just wild about short little Italian wise-asses down there.

My sides are aching. That's great! Hahahaha

Reaction Score
Correct. Texas' budget for this is $6 million/year, which covers 600 athletes. UCONN cannot pay 1 cent, even if they wanted and could afford to.

We could give each kid a $10,000 yearly gift certificate for pizza and pasta at Geno's joint.

Reaction Score
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspo...-start-paying-their-athletes-a-10000-stipend/

Texas is planning to give athletes a $10,000. stipend per school year. How many schools could afford this ?

Has this been approved by the NCAA ?

I don't see any school really being able to afford this kind of stipend to their players. I mean the programs that have deep pockets, Oklahoma, USC, Michigan, ND, Ohio State just to name a few could be able to handle this kind of money. The rest of the pack is going to be hurting.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Aren't the P5 conferences part of the NCAA still? If the NCAA tried stopping a school NOT in the P5 from doing it, I imagine lawsuits would ensue. Unless the P5 completely breaks away from the NCAA, I dont' see where that's an issue, or maybe I'm just not understanding the situation, which is highly possible!
I think this is what eventually will happen. I don't think a lot of schools outside the P5 could afford to pay all of their athletes $10,000 extra per year. The only other alternative is that some men's sports will be cut because Title IX will save most of the women's sports.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Ridiculous, absurd... what next, fake classes and make believe grades? Oh, wait...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom