LaJahna Drummer 2014
Ashley Hearn 2015
Michaela Onyenwere 2017

Ohio State 4
Sierra Calhoun 2014
Linnae Harper 2013
Stephanie Mavunga 2013
Kelsey Mitchell 2014
Off the top of my head, I'll take a stab at those who have become college AAs (1st team on a major 5- or 10-player team, not counting pre-season selections). Feel free to correct me.

Notre Dame: Turner

UConn: Samuelson, Collier, and Williams

Baylor: Brown

South Carolina: Wilson

We have 6 of 58 at the HS level, just over 10%, but 3 of 6 at the collegiate level, for 50%. (South Carolina was not included in the 58 tally.)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well, Westbrook played 37 minutes yesterday. She had 15 points but 7 turnovers and 4 fouls.
Now, Meg will not play 37 minutes in any game this year, baring some injury situation.
So, who made the better choice? Well, Westbrook will play a lot, lot more than Meg will this year.
But, who will turn out to be the better player? The answer is obvious. Does Tennessee know that you actually can run an offense, not just bomb away with bad shots? Plus, Meg is getting coached not just by Geno, but by Shea, who was an AA and won the MOP in the tournament in 2000. I saw Westbrook jacking up shots that would have put her on the bench if she were playing for UConn.
Meg went for the long term. Smart move, says I.
As I, and others, have said before, Meg is going to be really, really great.
Thoughts?
I'm not sure why a comparison of Westbrook to Walker is particular relevant.
I don't recall Westbrook having any interest in UCONN.
UCONN was not on Westbrook's first set of colleges when she down selected.
Don't recall UCONN ever expressing any interest (AAU, in home, HS games) in Westbrook either.
Westbrook is a SG/PG hybrid.
Megan is a forward.
All three of the TN freshmen have talent, Megan Walker has more talent to start with and is being coached by Geno.
I think I know how this movie is going to end.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Off the top of my head, I'll take a stab at those who have become college AAs (1st team on a major 5- or 10-player team, not counting pre-season selections). Feel free to correct me.

Notre Dame: Turner

UConn: Samuelson, Collier, and Williams

Baylor: Brown

South Carolina: Wilson

We have 6 of 58 at the HS level, just over 10%, but 3 of 6 at the collegiate level, for 50%. (South Carolina was not included in the 58 tally.)
Kelsey Mitchell

Reaction Score
I took a look at the 2012-2013 schedule, which was (I think) the last season that UConn was in the Big East. Texas A&M, Maryland, Penn State, Stanford, Duke & Baylor were on the OOC schedule. Those were some good to great teams for their respective conferences mixed in with the OLD BIG EAST conference schedule. For those that keep saying that P5 teams don't schedule tougher OOC opponents because they have a tough conference schedule.....:confused: Is that really the reason? I would like to see more marquee match-ups. Yeah, I know, the bulk of a team's schedule is done in advance. As most on the BY already know, Muffet and Dawn will play anyone at anytime.

Reaction Score
I took a look at the 2012-2013 schedule, which was (I think) the last season that UConn was in the Big East. Texas A&M, Maryland, Penn State, Stanford, Duke & Baylor were on the OOC schedule. Those were some good to great teams for their respective conferences mixed in with the OLD BIG EAST conference schedule. For those that keep saying that P5 teams don't schedule tougher OOC opponents because they have a tough conference schedule.....:confused: Is that really the reason? I would like to see more marquee match-ups. Yeah, I know, the bulk of a team's schedule is done in advance. As most on the BY already know, Muffet and Dawn will play anyone at anytime.

Of course that is how you progress your program forward..... I think of football, and programs like Boise State, and in the late 70s and 80s with Florida State and Miami.... they all had the thought.... "Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime!!!!!" It was also Geno's thought when he was establishing Uconn's program..... and Pat's as well They would not duck anyone

Reaction Score
Lots of observations - and reactions - to sunday’s Texas vs. Tennessee “basketball” game. For any who missed it and wish to watch and continue the conversation, it is available on WatchESPN.:confused:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
...I'm not sure why a comparison of Westbrook to Walker is particular relevant.
...I think I know how this movie is going to end.

I’m not sure about the comparison either, but here’s my guess. Megan was ranked #1 or #2, depending on the source. The same was true of Westbrook. It seemed that whenever one was mentioned, the other was never more than a sentence or two behind. Given the ratings, the question of “Who is better/Who would you rather have” was bound to come up last year, and for some reason it still does.

I am not ready to say how the movie will end, but with Megan in the cast it could be a thriller. The trailers have been interesting so far.

Reaction Score
These comparisons are really not fair. You have to believe that players know their individual makeups and what fits best. Westbrook for whatever reason felt UConn would not be a good fit. Not everyone has the makeup to go to UConn. The level of individual sacrifice is unmatched and not for most.

Also, it could be as simple as 'She was not recruited by UConn'. I do not think she was but I am not sure.

My only concern is that MW can continue to take the long view and handle what that means. It must not be easy when you look at players with half your talent getting starters minutes in top 20 programs.

Whether you are right or wrong on Westbrook being recruited--matters not---THIS IS A VERY NICE POSTING!!!

Reaction Score
I’m not sure about the comparison either, but here’s my guess. Megan was ranked #1 or #2, depending on the source. The same was true of Westbrook. It seemed that whenever one was mentioned, the other was never more than a sentence or two behind. Given the ratings, the question of “Who is better/Who would you rather have” was bound to come up last year, and for some reason it still does.

I am not ready to say how the movie will end, but with Megan in the cast it could be a thriller. The trailers have been interesting so far.
hit i

You hit a home run.. I don't know either player personally, nor am I entitled to know exactly what they do in practices---if any kid accepts the job at Uconn--she's my kid. Westbrook, is no less a kid WBB player. I wish her well.
None of that cost me one cent in money nor a ding on my ego.
Should Uconn play her team--my words shall sound decidedly different---I'm biased but I'm a WCBB fan.

Reaction Score
Just as most of the posters above, I'm uncomfortable with this for a variety of reasons detailed above:
  • kids make the choices they do and we hope they turn out well for them all--they are kids before they're ballplayers
  • after 8 or 9 games in their freshman year, who can really predict what of whom?
  • these 2 players in particular have vastly different burdens put on them because of what their teams currently need of them
But moving it away from a specific comparison of young athletes, this is a UConn board, and posters do like to point out that the rigorous discipline that Geno & Co. imposes on his players allows (forces!) them to develop their fundamentals and transition from being the absolute star of their high school team into an effective and efficient component of a larger enterprise. This is no small learning experience in sports or life. So, we like to remind ourselves of this occasionally (like several times/day).

I think exhibit A currently is Crystal, who is mind-blowingly improving game-by-game. Last year, she often channeled her I'm-in-high school-and-I need-to-do-this-solo routine. And a couple of times this year even, and Geno blew a fuse. Even the DePaul game, after draining 2 quick 3s, at the time out Geno talked to her about options she had passed up. This is what you get at UConn and, to that extent, nowhere else.

Crystal as is the case with Walker, AEH, Alexi, Mykala and the sophs---future is based on: Expectations, demands, effort. Danger is displaying the results of all three , currently. Megan is and the other Frosh are sitting on the tip of that iceberg---using the 3rd factor--she could exceed expectations as can any frosh or even soph. One critical factor not stated above is the factor that determines how far the first 3 shall take you--TALENT.

Reaction Score
I have a list but unfortunately these list tend to raise more questions than it answers mainly because there are so many AA teams out there. For this example I only focused on McDonalds and Parade and used the Coaches Poll week 4.
My conclusions:
1) UCONN is doing just fine with getting it's share of HS AA talent.
2) Texas should be doing much better because it has gotten more than it share and could field two FULL starting teams with AA players.
3) These AA list do not tell the full story (or maybe they do) because some of the most impactful talent in WCBB do not appear on these list. Three quick examples: Kia Nurse, Monique Billings, & Tyasha Harris.
View attachment 26869
Thanks CocoHusky!

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Given that there are more HS All Americans than can fit on a UConn team, of course other teams are going to land excellent talent.

But of course, not every HS All American is the same. Depending on the year, there can be a huge difference between even #1 or #2, or little difference between #20 and #7.

That being said, what has made UConn different from the other teams, even if they don't have the MOST All Americans, they seem to have the MOST ELITE All Americans.

Sure, y'all "only" have six HS AAs this year, but KLS and Walker were both the #1 recruits in their class, Williams was ranked as high as #2, Dangerfield was ranked #3 (and the top PG) and Collier is bringing up the rear at #6. (All Hoopgurlz rankings)

To break this down even more exclusively, I'd say there are very, very few UBER ELITE talents in women's basketball every year. UConn gets a disproportionate amount of them (and these women are UBER ELITE coming out of HS). Some examples:

Brianna Stewart
Maya Moore
Candace Parker
Brittany Grinier
EDD
Seimone Augustus
Diana Taurasi
Tamika Catchings
(Just off this list IMO: Tina Charles, Sylvia Fowles, Skylar Diggins, Ogwumikes). Shockingly, these are all Olympians.

Stewart/Moore/Taurausi are responsible for 9/11 UConn championships.

Reaction Score
Given that there are more HS All Americans than can fit on a UConn team, of course other teams are going to land excellent talent.

But of course, not every HS All American is the same. Depending on the year, there can be a huge difference between even #1 or #2, or little difference between #20 and #7.

That being said, what has made UConn different from the other teams, even if they don't have the MOST All Americans, they seem to have the MOST ELITE All Americans.

Sure, y'all "only" have six HS AAs this year, but KLS and Walker were both the #1 recruits in their class, Williams was ranked as high as #2, Dangerfield was ranked #3 (and the top PG) and Collier is bringing up the rear at #6. (All Hoopgurlz rankings)

To break this down even more exclusively, I'd say there are very, very few UBER ELITE talents in women's basketball every year. UConn gets a disproportionate amount of them (and these women are UBER ELITE coming out of HS). Some examples:

Brianna Stewart
Maya Moore
Candace Parker
Brittany Griner
EDD
Seimone Augustus
Diana Taurasi
Tamika Catchings
(Just off this list IMO: Tina Charles, Sylvia Fowles, Skylar Diggins, Ogwumikes). Shockingly, these are all Olympians.

Stewart/Moore/Taurasi are responsible for 9/11 UConn championships.
Bingo! Very astute observation. No substitute for having the best player. (Not even sure I'd put EDD, Augustus or Catchings on the top list. Parker & Griner, yes, for sure.). KLS?? M.Walker?? C.Williams?? S.Brunelle?? P.Bueckers? A. Fudd?

Reaction Score
Personally I think it is incredibly silly to pass judgement on where a HS hoops player "should" attend school.... it definitely cannot be broken down by numbers..... it is not as simple as..... do i want to win a championship, do i want to stay chose to home, do i want good academics...... do i want good coaching... etc etc.....

Choosing a college, and associated basketball program, is a very personal choice..... I seldom think it is absolutely wrong for a recruit to choose the school they ultimately choose.....

Last year a guy down south...... got admitted to all 8 ivy league institutions...... his final choice.... University of Alabama..... he is one of six kids..... and was thinking of his parents pocketbook.... he got full scholarship offer, whereas he would have to pay part tuition at any of the ivies.... and he is going to grad school anyway.... many thought he was a dope for making this choice... I didn't think so

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Wonderful game. It was as if Kevin McGuff was coaching both teams simultaneously during a fever dream. Ugly shirts against really ugly shirts.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Westbrook impressed me... thrown in the fire early, thats a good thing #growningpain while playing

Reaction Score
SHE SAID IT: ''If that was the No. 2 team in the country, where do we stand now?'' Tennessee senior Mercedes Russell asked after the win over Texas. ''82-75. There's your answer right there.''
Be careful with what you ask for Mercedes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom