Texas and Cal have most HS players in Sweet Sixteen | The Boneyard

Texas and Cal have most HS players in Sweet Sixteen

Reaction Score
Using each schools official stats and rosters I compiled a list of every player who has at least played one minute this year AND is listed as being on their current roster (this would exclude players listed on the roster who are red-shirting or who transferred, etc.). The range for each school was from 10-14 players.

I also made a smaller list of the more "significant" players on each team. For this I just included those players who played at least 10 times as many minutes as the teams total games. For instance UConn has played 34 games so the "significant" players had to have played at least 340 minutes. Using UConn as an example, this includes their top 7 players by minutes played ( the starting five plus Azura and Meghan). The range from each school was 6-9 players.

The state I used was the hometown listed on the roster page. It didn't always coincide with the state of the HS (ex-hometown DC, HS-Mary). I also included the countries for the foreign players even if they had a US HS listed (like IMG etc).

TOP STATES (OR COUNTRIES) FOR CURRENT ROSTER OF SWEET SIXTEEN TEAMS:

TEX (25) CAL (18) MICH (14) NC (11) GEOR (9) AUSTRALIA (9) NY (8) CANADA (8) FLOR (7) IND (6) WASH (6) ILL (5) OHIO, ARK, PENN, MO, MISS and NJ (4).

Michigan's high total is due to 13 of their 14 kids being from Michigan.

TOP STATES (OR COUNTRIES) OF "SIGNIFICANT" PLAYERS IN SWEET SIXTEEN:

TEX (17) CAL (12) NC (7) AUSTRALIA (7) GEOR (6) MICH (6) IND, ILL, NJ, NY, WASH (4) ALAB, FLOR, MISS, NEV, ORE, CANADA (3).

I was expecting Texas and California to be the top 2 states in these categories and they were. UConn, Duke and Louisville were the only teams to not have a "significant" player from their home state. Uconn the only team not to have anyone from their home state. The teams most top heavy with in state "significant" players were Central Michigan (all 6), Baylor, Texas and UCLA (all with 5 in state significant players). And finally i don't know if this whole thing means anything...but I did it anyway. Sorry if I wasted anyone's time! :(

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Washington w/ 6 total and 4 significant contributors. Let's see if I can figure this out. McPhee/Stanford, Pivec and Corosdale/Oregon St., Giomi at Oregon as a non significant contributor...blanking out on anymore.

I know the 3 from Oregon--Bando/Oregon and McWilliams and Goodman/Oregon St.

Australia is well represented.

That must've taken a while to compile this!

Reaction Score
you're going to have to revisit your research in the next couple of years.........Texas appears to have fewer ranked players in the upcoming few years while Tennessee moves up close to the top

Reaction Score
Washington w/ 6 total and 4 significant contributors. Let's see if I can figure this out. McPhee/Stanford, Pivec and Corosdale/Oregon St., Giomi at Oregon as a non significant contributor...blanking out on anymore.

I know the 3 from Oregon--Bando/Oregon and McWilliams and Goodman/Oregon St.

Australia is well represented.

That must've taken a while to compile this!
The other 2 players from Washington are Oti Gilson (Oregon U) and Anna Wilson (Stanford).

It took quite awhile to do. It would of been easy just taking everyone on each teams roster but it includes all the red shirts and some who never played this year.

Reaction Score
you're going to have to revisit your research in the next couple of years....Texas appears to have fewer ranked players in the upcoming few years while Tennessee moves up close to the top
Could be but I feel Texas and California have consistently been the top states. A while back I researched all the college all-Americans from like 1975 to the present and Texas and California were well ahead of every state

Reaction Score
Could be but I feel Texas and California have consistently been the top states. A while back I researched all the college all-Americans from like 1975 to the present and Texas and California were well ahead of every state

definitely and they probably always will based on population and the popularity of WBB in those two states...........still if you look ahead at ranked players in the next few years you'll see more talented kids coming from Tenn, GA, MD and even NY and NJ then in the past few years when Texas had a total stranglehold on the most talented players

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The other 2 players from Washington are Oti Gilson (Oregon U) and Anna Wilson (Stanford).

It took quite awhile to do. It would of been easy just taking everyone on each teams roster but it includes all the red shirts and some who never played this year.
Wilson lived in Virginia until she moved to be with her NFL brother in/near Seattle.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks for the nice work! Texas, California, and Georgia don’t surprise me. Australia and Canada are noteworthy. I hope we have our own Aussie next year and another Canadian the following year.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

Doh! I know both of those players. Although it's Gildon, not Gilson.

Agree w/ above poster, I think Anna Wilson was only at Bellevue, WA for one season after moving from Virginia. Kind of a stretch for WA to get credit for her. Unfortunately two of the Washington players are currently sitting out w/ injuries--Wilson and Giomi.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Also there are at least 2 Germans--Gulich w/ Oregon St. and Sabally w/ Oregon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom