Texas A & M Williams suspended indefinitely | The Boneyard

Texas A & M Williams suspended indefinitely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Indeed. It is happening all over the place.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Makes you about the wonderful young woman of the University of Connecticut
that Geno recruits and that the staff and the U assist in becoming splendidly behaved, articulate, well-educated adults.
We rave about our great D and offensive sets.
I think this sets us apart, even more from other more highly rated U's.
Kudos to Notre Dame and Stanford for similar scholar-athlete development, probably DePaul is another.
Can't think of many more big-time programs.

Reaction Score
Well every Tennessee alum has graduated. The four suspended athletes are honor roll students. Our suspensions are a product of the decades old rules in place of miss a class you miss a game. It was not because of questionable character. I'm pretty sure 99% of WCBB programs do not enforce a rule like that, including UConn. Walker from New Mexico just got arrested for assaulting her boyfriend and her coach remarked that she will for sure miss the exhibition game. If that was a Tennessee player she would be done for the year at the very least.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
How much does any1 want to bet that Courtney is reinstated prior to the start of the SEC Regular Season? A&M plays Duke on Nov 30th, might happen then.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
dang... I like Williams, hopefully everything works out

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I believe the classic case of a coach enforcing rules was when Bear Bryant made Joe Namath sit for a year to make his point.

We all know how that turned out.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Makes you about the wonderful young woman of the University of Connecticut
that Geno recruits and that the staff and the U assist in becoming splendidly behaved, articulate, well-educated adults.
We rave about our great D and offensive sets.
I think this sets us apart, even more from other more highly rated U's.
Kudos to Notre Dame and Stanford for similar scholar-athlete development, probably DePaul is another.
Can't think of many more big-time programs.

I can

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I get a little worried about 'holier than thou' sentiments related to this unspecified team/AD rules. These are 18-22 year old kids who are obviously highly motivated, but still liable to make a few mistakes. The fact she is allowed to practice with the team suggests to me that she has had an academic hiccup not dissimilar to what happened at TN, or what happened with Dixon at Uconn a few years ago when she did not travel with the team for games. I am not talking about the arrest for assault case which at least we know something about - the rest of these discipline cases are rightfully kept private.

Reaction Score
I believe the classic case of a coach enforcing rules was when Bear Bryant made Joe Namath sit for a year to make his point.

We all know how that turned out.
A year...I thought it was the last game of the season and the Sugar Bowl...the rest of the year?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
A year...I thought it was the last game of the season and the Sugar Bowl...the rest of the year?

I stand corrected.

Bryant suspended Namath for the last game of the 1963 season, which was won by Alabama on the road, 17-12. The team was led by backup QB Steve Sloan.

Next they played Ole Miss in the Sugar Bowl (with snow in New Orleans!) and won, 12-7.

Bryant never said why he suspended Namath and he was apparently unconcerned about possible fan backlash for sitting a star of Joe's magnitude.

The Bear was a tough disciplinarian, to be sure, but imperfect as a coach. He did have one losing season (in 38 years of college coaching).:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I stand corrected.

Bryant suspended Namath for the last game of the 1963 season, which was won by Alabama on the road, 17-12. The team was led by backup QB Steve Sloan.

Next they played Ole Miss in the Sugar Bowl (with snow in New Orleans!) and won, 12-7.

Bryant never said why he suspended Namath and he was apparently unconcerned about possible fan backlash for sitting a star of Joe's magnitude.

The Bear was a tough disciplinarian, to be sure, but imperfect as a coach. He did have one losing season (in 38 years of college coaching).:rolleyes:
I was too young to have been aware of this when it was happening, but I have heard the story through an old friend of mine, Jim Dent, author of The Junction Boys. Joe never complained about his punishment which, apparently, was for drinking beer during training...he respected tha Bear that much.

Reaction Score
I was too young to have been aware of this when it was happening, but I have heard the story through an old friend of mine, Jim Dent, author of The Junction Boys. Joe never complained about his punishment which, apparently, was for drinking beer during training...he respected tha Bear that much.
And the punishment worked so well that Joe never drank another drop.

Ooops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger