Texas A&M vs. Oregon St. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Texas A&M vs. Oregon St.

Reaction Score
Oregon St. came in a week early and obviously spent too much time on the beach. They did not look that in sync against Eastern Washington but they were just so much better that it made a difference against them. Oregon just looked flat and not ready to play at the start at the game and dug themselves a hole they had trouble getting out of. They also shot the three as badly as in recent memory. Still despite that they could have pulled it out had they shot key foul shots better. But again basketball is a game of timing and matchups. TAM dominated the paint until Oregon responded with their much maligned 6'8" post who controlled the paint when she was in and that was instrumental in their comeback.

In respect to Slocum, she is not that great a defender. People always assume that if you are quick you are a good defender. If Oregon St ever has to play TAM again, I am sure will come up with a better defense for Carter. Players like her are also either hot or not. He would also start and play Grymek more.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I thought they looked unfocused to start both games and also wondered about too much fun and sun maybe being a problem.

Against EWU they only played well about 5 minutes of the first half, played fairly well in the second half and won by almost 50. I don't think you learn anything in a game like that.

Reaction Score
Alot of players wear those sleeves. I was thinking of buying one myself to wear to the gym. Wish they had them around back in the day when I used to play sports.

you better be able to ball if you're going to wear one of those......................:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Just watched the game on Facebook. OSU has serious issues at the 5. Without a 5 that can defend and rebound, its going to be difficult for OSU to shut down teams defensively. Jo Grymek is not, and will not, be the answer. Rueck needs to punt on JG. He is better off going with his 6' 7" freshman, and getting her some serious minutes. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening. I trust the OSU coaching staff, they always surprise to the upside. GO BEAVS!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I know you don't like Grymek LOTRADER, but I don't think she was the problem last night. In fact it sounds like she gave them a lift. Corosdale isn't producing much, she should be better than this. Slocum had a bad game. Tudor wasn't her usual self and had a poor shooting game. Pivec couldn't hit a FT to save her life. Defense on the perimeter was terrible in the first half, Carter was scoring at will. There were a number of reasons OSU lost the game, singling out Grymek doesn't make sense to me.

Reaction Score
I know you don't like Grymek LOTRADER, but I don't think she was the problem last night. In fact it sounds like she gave them a lift. Corosdale isn't producing much, she should be better than this. Slocum had a bad game. Tudor wasn't her usual self and had a poor shooting game. Pivec couldn't hit a FT to save her life. Defense on the perimeter was terrible in the first half, Carter was scoring at will. There were a number of reasons OSU lost the game, singling out Grymek doesn't make sense to me.
My comments re: JG are not just about last nights game. They are an accumulation of every game I have seen JG play. I don't see the improvement, and given she is a senior, it is time to cut and run on JG and invest in their athletic freshman, Trish Morris.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I watched the game live last night..alone as I was abandoned by so someone :rolleyes: and I would say, yes Grymek is limited BUT serviceable. There is NO WAY Rueck will cut bait on her now, he is too loyal AND LOGICAL to do that.

A&M were hot shooting in the first half and hit clutch free throws at the end. I thought Tudor, Slocum, Grymek and Williams all tried but struggled, Corosdale was not existent not really trying to do much of anything. I kept going to the Beaver season stats to see who were the players that usually perform.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
My comments re: JG are not just about last nights game. They are an accumulation of every game I have seen JG play. I don't see the improvement, and given she is a senior, it is time to cut and run on JG and invest in their athletic freshman, Trish Morris.

Okay. To me there are going to be limitations no matter who Rueck plays at the 5. There have been fluctuations from game to game, Washington, Thropay, Grymek and Morris have all had some moments but none of them are really who you'd like to have as a starter. One of them has to be though (unless you go really small, but Corosdale isn't wowing me this year as I noted and I don't think you want her all alone battling in the front court).

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I'm a little concerned about that as well. Part of the problem is they've played so many bad teams, Rueck has played the bench a ton of minutes and has experimented with just about every combination of players possible. I don't think they know what their rotation is yet. Starters have gotten limited minutes. Slocum has been productive in most games but it seems like she's not quite finding the balance between play making and taking over and scoring so far. In Friday's game I thought she got frustrated in the first half when the offense wasn't clicking and went into a bit of hero ball mode.

I wonder if one problem regarding scheduling is the fact that (from what I can tell) OSU won't have played a true away game until the second week of January. Playing on a hostile court would lessen the team's comfort level, likely require more minutes from the starters, and so might help determine what groupings work and what ones don't.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
That's a good point jonson. A couple of tournaments at neutral sites but yeah, you have to play on the road eventually, why wait 2 months.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom