OT: - Texas 105 DePaul 62 10/30/2022 | The Boneyard

OT: Texas 105 DePaul 62 10/30/2022

Reaction Score
The stats are on the DePaul Blue Demon web page
DePaulbluedemon.com FG% .323 to Texas. 569
three point % .083 (no, not a misprint) to Texas .250
29 turnovers for DePaul, full court press by Texas. Aneesha
Morrow a double double: 20 points 16 rebounds.
Half time score: 58 - 27 A lot to think about!
A better link might be to GOOGLE: "DePaul Falls
to No. 3 Texas in Charity Exhibition Game"

Reaction Score
Will you look at that, a double double in a losing cause. It wasn’t so long ago — less than a few months — that ever so many BYers were insisting that this was impossible.

Reaction Score
Texas's shooting percentage isn't a surprise as Depaul has never been known for defense. However, they usually are a much better shooting team and that's how they win. Also, they usually take care of the ball better (29 turnovers), not as good as Villanova, but usually good. Not sure if Depaul is that bad or Texas is that good, maybe a little of both.

Reaction Score
I suspect the loss of Lexie Held and Sonya Morris was part of the problem with shooting for DePaul.
Having those two, I hope, would have improved the shooting a little bit. Morris did well for Texas in this game against her former team. Texas adding Shaylee Gonzales, just kicks their offense up a notch and their overall chance of playing for the NCAA title that much better. She is WNBA ready.

Reaction Score
One thing that catches my eye is Morrow's double double even when DePaul has no perimeter shooting. This suggests Texas has no strong presence in the low post. They may be weaker in that respect than I'd thought.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Will you look at that, a double double in a losing cause. It wasn’t so long ago — less than a few months — that ever so many BYers were insisting that this was impossible.
Jimmy Fallon What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Reaction Score
We will find out very early in this season how our guards handle pressure.

Only can find 4Q clip. Both teams looked punchy by that time.

Thanks for sharing this clip with us. I agree. we will find out how our guards respond to the in-your-face pressure defense teams like to play.

Reaction Score
One thing that catches my eye is Morrow's double double even when DePaul has no perimeter shooting. This suggests Texas has no strong presence in the low post. They may be weaker in that respect than I'd thought.
TX 6’4” transfer, Taylor Jones, is out with an injury and may be back before their next exhibition game. She’s expected to be their starting center with Khadijah Faye, also 6’4”, as the backup center. Khadijah had a double-double (11/10) in only 14 minutes of play today. If those two get going it will be tough going for a lot of teams.

Reaction Score

Yes, it looked like an exhibition game ( by the time it got to the 4th ).
Texas, easy baskets, DePaul with POOR passing and poor ball handling and no height??.
I guess at that time of the game, both coaches wanted to see what their respective benchs
could do ? But Rori Harmon and A. Morrow were still in there??
Two weeks until Texas vs UCONN!

Reaction Score
She also had 6 steals per the box score. Hope I can make time to watch what's on YouTube to see what happened.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How soon we forget.
Most adults can store between 5 and 9 items in their short-term memory. I still have no idea what you are talking about and this conversation is about to become item # 93 on my short term memory item list unless you care enough to refresh it.
BTW the most recent UCONN player to record a Double Double in a loss was ONO vs Georgia Tech if you need evidence to the contrary.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
DePaul lives and dies at the 3-pt line. All you need to know about this game is that the Blue Demons were 2/24 (8%) from the arc. :confused:

Reaction Score
Most adults can store between 5 and 9 items in their short-term memory. I still have no idea what you are talking about and this conversation is about to become item # 93 on my short term memory item list unless you care enough to refresh it.
BTW the most recent UCONN player to record a Double Double in a loss was ONO vs Georgia Tech if you need evidence to the contrary.
I don’t need any evidence to the contrary. That was the point of my adolescent snark — others had worried the rest of us to death in the summer’s many transfer portal threads about Morrow’s double doubles against us. This was thought to be catastrophic even though we won those games. No amount of evidence to the contrary could quiet the fears of opposing posts given our supposed dreadful weakness. Thank you for providing even more evidence to the contrary.

Reaction Score
I had the privilege of watching the game on the LHN and Texas was impressive! Faye was impressive and rebounded the ball with some fight that Texas usually is missing from their post! Morris was pretty impressive to against her old team! They will give UConn a fight for sure!

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score

Depaul, did not show much on defense, or offense. Hard to judge how good Texas is, playing against very little defense.

Reaction Score
I rewatched the Stanford Texas tournament game again last night to see how they managed Harmon’s pressure. She posed a constant threat. But they did two interesting things.

First, they again had Jones or one of the Hulls bring the ball up. This wasn’t foolproof and their offense was considerably disrupted. But Vic didn’t put Harmon on someone so much taller. Matharu or Allen-Taylor or Warren ended up assigned to press.

Second, they packed the paint on D and Texas got numerous uncontested 3s. This also had mixed success. But it reduced Texas’s ability to get points in the paint. Stanford also benefitted from some poor officiating. There was some flopping. Ebo in particular was especially frustrated by this and her temper almost got the better of her on a couple occasions.

I doubt we’ll let Texas have uncontested 3s, especially with Morris there. We’ll probably have Nika guard Harmon, and we may need a plan to handle their press. But I don’t expect they’ll have an answer to our perimeter shooters, and I think we’ll have a significant advantage in the post.

Reaction Score
First, Martinj481 stated it was a privilege to have watched Texas / Depaul on the LGN. I watched it also and privileged is not the word I would use, as we pay to have that service. There is nothing here to scout, as this was similar to a street pickup game , with neither team playing def. If Muhl guards Harmon, she'll foul out by the 2nd quarter.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Depaul exhibited a lot of charity in allowing Texas all those points!
A lot of “catch and shoot” baskets for Texas in the short clip I saw. Players left alone behind the arc were able to receive a pass and get off a set shot before anyone could contest the shot. I hope we defend better than that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom