Terry Larrier VCU Game Film | The Boneyard

Terry Larrier VCU Game Film

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Took what was available on ESPN3 and put together some clips of Terry Larrier in game action at VCU. These clips include as much as possible, from made shots to missed shots, and rebounds, assists, steals, etc. Quality is a little shoddy because of the internet connection while capturing the ESPN3 stream (watching in 720p or 1080p will help with this), but this should give us an idea of how he played at VCU.

The following games that are included: Villanova, Oregon, Virginia, Cincinnati, @Saint Louis, Richmond, @George Washington, Massachusetts, @Richmond, Dayton, @Davidson

The compiled stats from these 11 games:

Minutes: 16.64
FG/FGA: 17/54 (31.4%)
2P/2PA: 11/22 (50%)
3P/3PA: 6/32 (18.75%)
Total points: 49
Total rebounds: 26
Assists: 8
Steals: 6
Turnovers: 11

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You get one official Boneyard gold star for this... you know what, make it two but don't spend it all in one place.

Reaction Score
I truly believe that TCF highlight videos should be referenced during recruiting. What kid doesn't want to imagine himself as the guy making the passes/shots/blocks/other great plays that we sit at our desks gushing over, years after they happened?

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Nice job compiling the video! I was looking for some in-game play from Larrier.

Reaction Score
So he definitely had some shot selection issues last year. A red-shirt will probably be hugely beneficial in allowing him to work on his shooting, get stronger, and work on his bball IQ. That being said, he could make a hell of a stretch four if KO lands one of the big SF targets in 2016. Definitely see the court vision and athletic ability.

Reaction Score
He seems like a really raw version of Daniel Hamilton. A year of heads up practice should do him a lot of good.

Couple that with slightly more athletic from a dribbling/crossover/weaving/off the ball movement perspective, I think you nailed it. A year in the gym working on that jumper, watch out.

Reaction Score
His game looks a lot like Deandre Daniels without a consistent 3 point shot (kind of what Deandre was as a freshmen). It looks like he needs to add bulk and play the stretch 4 (not the wing 3) where he can use his talent to finish at the rim, rebound, and keep defenses honest with his 3 point shot. Based on highlights, it looked like VCU gave him the green light as a wing to shoot from deep. I do not expect that to happen at UCONN unless he is wide open. Similar to Deandre, he will expected to play as a big and take a 3 when defenses collapse and he receives a kick out pass from our guards. To me his commitment helps us shore up the front court experience in 2016, but we will absolutely need to recruit a 2/3 guard/wing in the 2016 class to replace the loss of Calhoun and possibly Hamilton. I think his commitment finishes our front court recruiting for 2016 (Diarra / Larrier) and now the staff will focus on securing a 1/2 guard (Gilbert or alternate) and a 2/3 guard (VJ King or alternate) to finish the class.

Reaction Score
His game looks a lot like Deandre Daniels without a consistent 3 point shot (kind of what Deandre was as a freshmen). It looks like he needs to add bulk and play the stretch 4 (not the wing 3) where he can use his talent to finish at the rim, rebound, and keep defenses honest with his 3 point shot. Based on highlights, it looked like VCU gave him the green light as a wing to shoot from deep. I do not expect that to happen at UCONN unless he is wide open. Similar to Deandre, he will expected to play as a big and take a 3 when defenses collapse and he receives a kick out pass from our guards. To me his commitment helps us shore up the front court experience in 2016, but we will absolutely need to recruit a 2/3 guard/wing in the 2016 class to replace the loss of Calhoun and possibly Hamilton. I think his commitment finishes our front court recruiting for 2016 (Diarra / Larrier) and now the staff will focus on securing a 1/2 guard (Gilbert or alternate) and a 2/3 guard (VJ King or alternate) to finish the class.
I think this is a very good comparison with a little more bulk that DD.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
So he definitely had some shot selection issues last year. A red-shirt will probably be hugely beneficial in allowing him to work on his shooting, get stronger, and work on his bball IQ. That being said, he could make a hell of a stretch four if KO lands one of the big SF targets in 2016. Definitely see the court vision and athletic ability.

First phrase that came to my mind: shot selection. A lot of rushed 3's.

The talent is there, no question.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score

Definately the three point shot selection contributed to the low percentages. Only Bazz would have been able to hit them consistently.

Reaction Score

Not sure if I can separate if that's a Larrier issue or just a consequence of the VCU style of play. Talent is there. Not often you can add a 3/4 that can speed up our offense on the break. This kid can RUN. Also had some great outlet passes off the rebound which will fit nicely with what I expect our play to be next year.

Reaction Score
Having the year to gain strength and improve his shooting is just what he needs at this point, plus next year he gets the minutes he needs. He gets to work out and scrimmage with the team. Does he get to travel for away games?

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Having the year to gain strength and improve his shooting is just what he needs at this point, plus next year he gets the minutes he needs. He gets to work out and scrimmage with the team. Does he get to travel for away games?

He's in same situation as Purvis was the prior year. Purvis didn't travel, but was on the bench at home games.

Reaction Score
From the VCU board's Larrier thread, apparently unaware of this thread:

He's working on making a brand, but he's not there yet. That happens on the court. You never see a missed shot on a mix-tape either. The guys all shoot 100%:D

Reaction Score
is larrier really capable of playing the 4? per 40 minutes he attempted 7 threes a game while blocking .3 shots. seems like more of a wing player/guard (i've noticed media outlets call him a guard). daniels as a frosh only played 12 mpg but per 40 minutes blocked more shots and rebounded better. either way he'll play a ton and i'm interested to see who KO adds to the 2016 class.

Reaction Score
Looks more like a 3 than a 4, for sure, like Hamilton. His handle isn't as good as Hamilton's, but I like his aggressiveness pushing the ball up the floor. He clearly trusts his handle, something we haven't gotten enough of at the 3 over the previous 7-8 years (Robinson, Roscoe, OC). The shot selection will have to improve, and the turnovers will drop with experience.

Major props to tcf for putting together a vid showing both his positive and negative plays -- helps get the whole picture of what he does well and why he struggled.

For the rest of our 2016 recruiting, if we can get Gilbert at PG (replacement for Gibbs), a stud SG (understudy and replacement for Purvis), and maybe another big (understudy/replacement for Brimah/Nolan), we'll be in great shape.

Reaction Score
is larrier really capable of playing the 4? per 40 minutes he attempted 7 threes a game while blocking .3 shots. seems like more of a wing player/guard (i've noticed media outlets call him a guard). daniels as a frosh only played 12 mpg but per 40 minutes blocked more shots and rebounded better. either way he'll play a ton and i'm interested to see who KO adds to the 2016 class.

Yeah, I like the "raw Hamilton" comparison above better than the DD comparisons. DD was more of a presence in the defensive post than we tended to give him credit for, not sure that's going to be Larrier's game (though in fairness, not sure I would have expected it out of DD after his freshman year either).

On the flip side, Larrier looks a lot more fluid with the ball than DD.

I'm sure there will be times we move Larrier to the 4 like we do with DHam, but to me he looks more like a Hamiltonian 3 than a DD 4.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I see the Daniels comparison. DeAndre was able to both rebound and protect the rim at a high level thanks to his wingspan (7-foot-2) and standing reach (8-foot-10.5). He's also 6-foot-9 in shoes; Larrier is 6-foot-7 with a 6-foot-10 wingspan.

I don't really see the Hamilton comparison either. If anything, I think Larrier is most like Niels - a jack-of-all-trades forward who can help on the boards, hit open 3s, finish straight-line drives and (hopefully) defend 2s, 3s and some 4s at a high level.

Obviously he's got a lot of potential, but he also has a lot of improving left to do. In a best-case scenario, he turns into the next Scott Burrell - a true SF who just destroyed teams defensively thanks to his athleticism, and over the years turned into a reliable scorer and facilitator.

Reaction Score
From watching about a minute of that video, Larrier is definitely ahead of DeAndre (as a freshman) and arguably Hamilton in terms of ball handling . Hamilton was not as consistent/smooth and DeAndre was not as confident/skilled as freshmen. Hamilton seemingly handed the ball to defenders when crossing over in transition very frequently and DeAndre was nearly as bad as Rashad at putting the ball on the floor (definitely improved over time)

DeAndre was a spot-up SF as a freshman and slowly developed into the 2-4 positions over the course of 3 years, whereas Hamilton last year was a point-forward capable of playing positions 1-4 on the court.

Regardless, I think Larrier has the potential to take over the point-forward role that Hamilton made for himself this past year (if Hamilton leaves after this season), in addition to playing a stretch-4 in certain sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom