Terrific game from Kiah | The Boneyard

Terrific game from Kiah

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
For sure had some offense on her mind.
Had a big effect in turning the game into a laugher.
A nice mid-range to start
A couple of traditional post-ups for bunnies (which she made).

And: the play of the game, perhaps her career:
A wonderful baseline move on a pick and roll.
Classic!

With the entire Boneyard behind her
One senses the complete game is within reach.
(Some neat passes too and ho-hum, the usual blocks to join the 50 club)

Yeah!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I think we are slowly seeing Kiah evolve into a solid post player.

Watching the game tonight, she was definitely comfortable in the offensive flow of the game. She worked hard down low to get position. It was difficult because of Memphis' zone, which was fairly good.

Geno has often said post players take a couple of years to develop.

Reaction Score
At 1:23 left, Kiah put a perfect judo move on #21 of Memphis. Stepped on her foot, rotated and brought up her shoulder and threw the young lady 10 feet through the air, all the while spinning away from the victim. Perfect.
I was impressed by Kiah before, but now I am simply amazed. :)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Kiah's play takes on more importance with the uncertainty surrounding Morgan. Let's hope she continues to take advantage of the opportunity to play important minutes and impact the game. She's playing well.

Reaction Score
Yub! was very happy to see her made them bunny shots. Oh yeah! And the classic give and go scored!
She's solid!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Loved her game and loved the passes that found her. She has been so much more solid on offense this season even when she hasn't scored. She looks like she knows what is happening at that end, unlike some games in previous years.

Reaction Score
At 1:23 left, Kiah put a perfect judo move on #21 of Memphis. Stepped on her foot, rotated and brought up her shoulder and threw the young lady 10 feet through the air, all the while spinning away from the victim. Perfect.
I was impressed by Kiah before, but now I am simply amazed. :)

The only thing that would have made that perfect, is if the ball handler would have found her for the layup after she became wide open!!!

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Loved her game and loved the passes that found her. She has been so much more solid on offense this season even when she hasn't scored. She looks like she knows what is happening at that end, unlike some games in previous years.

Still some inconsistency, but you can see she is starting to move without the ball better. There have been games where she stood around on offense and her teammates never passed it to her except once in a while at the top of the key. When she was moving well last night, her teammates found her except when Stef through it over Kiah's head but then MoJeff got it to her. Let's hope that sets off a lightbulb.

I think there are things the team can do this year especially in blowouts this year to help set up Kiah for success next year. For example, it would be nice to see some set plays run for Kiah where she has to postup. She nice did that nicely a time or two. If she can do that consistently, some of the outside shooters will be even more wide open. I think she also has a chance to develop into a really good passer. Wouldn't surprise me if she takes on some of Stef's passing role up top (though that is a long time away).

P.S. I loved the give and go play. Can't think of a time where she moved like that before. As I have said, because of her refusal to quit, she is my favorite story this year of many great ones.

Reaction Score
Couldn't be happier for Kiah right now. Through hard work and determination she has gone from mop up minutes to 6th man. She is a DOMINATE defender and rebounder with an offensive game that is getting better and better. If she stays confident the sky is the limit for her and the Huskies.

HuskyPup

Dislikes Notur-Daim
Reaction Score
Yeah KIAH! ....Welcome to the 50 -50-50 block party! Keep up the great work! The triple towers are fun to watch!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
clouds-parting-m.ashx_.jpeg

Reaction Score
Still some inconsistency, but you can see she is starting to move without the ball better. There have been games where she stood around on offense and her teammates never passed it to her except once in a while at the top of the key. When she was moving well last night, her teammates found her except when Stef through it over Kiah's head but then MoJeff got it to her. Let's hope that sets off a lightbulb.

I think there are things the team can do this year especially in blowouts this year to help set up Kiah for success next year. For example, it would be nice to see some set plays run for Kiah where she has to postup. She nice did that nicely a time or two. If she can do that consistently, some of the outside shooters will be even more wide open. I think she also has a chance to develop into a really good passer. Wouldn't surprise me if she takes on some of Stef's passing role up top (though that is a long time away).

P.S. I loved the give and go play. Can't think of a time where she moved like that before. As I have said, because of her refusal to quit, she is my favorite story this year of many great ones.
Next year yes, but next month first. Can she do it against the better teams?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Next year yes, but next month first. Can she do it against the better teams?
Of course she can. She already has.

10 points, 13 rebounds and 6 blocks against Stanford.

With Tuck out, Stokes will get the minutes she needs to continue her progress and become more consistent.

Reaction Score
The Big 3 post players completely change what Geno will do going forward. Kiah make UCONN an impossible team to guard and we will see the difference against Louisville on Feb 9th

GO KIAH!!!!!

Reaction Score
Last night's game gave an indication why Geno recruited Kiah. Long time coming, but outstanding all around game. As an earlier poster mentioned, the fact that she has hung in there through what must have been a disappointing 2 years has made her a favorite player to root for. A couple of her scores last night had me jumping out of my seat.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
I still believe,knowing Stef will be a pro next year,that Kiah and her father will be working on her offense the coming summer,preparing for a larger role offensively on the team next year.It will not completely surprise me,with the confidence she is building presently,and the dedication to improve the coming summer,that she becomes a consistant good offensive player for the team next year,to go with her defensive prowess.She may not reach all american,but I can see her becoming a complete player,that the team will need.It is impossible,IMO,to not root for this young lady,and hope that success becomes her trademark her senior year.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

With Tuck out, Stokes will get the minutes she needs to continue her progress and become more consistent.

and more confident :cool:

Reaction Score

what about the other 6 big games: Maryland, Penn State, Baylor, Ohio State, Duke, Cal?
Not so much!
What she can do and what she actually does are not the same.

Reaction Score
The offensive game seems to slowing down for Kiah. She has always had the strength and athleticism and a decent shot. The problem has been she was not comfortable in the flow of our offense. Now she is getting it.

Geno's motion offense requires individual players to respond (read and react) in a extremely dynamic team situation. We fans have been blessed to see the beauty of our team making these decisions at what often appears to be an intuitive level. It is not intuitive because because with the exception of some players who have a savant basketball IQ and athleticism,(we have had some) it comes from constant practice so muscle memory, familiarity and trust makes that our team's play appear reflexive and beautiful.

We have heard coach refer to "players thinking too much". I believe that it may not really be thinking too much but its fear keeping them from doing what they need to do. The fear may arises from the intense spot light, unfamiliarity, self doubt, pain or any number of things.

We all are familiar with this emotion and know the "should haves" it brings. The flip side is when we have a comfort level, self assurance, and skill it allows us to do things easily that others find frightening, difficult or even impossible. We do what we have to do efficiently, quickly without any visible trepidation. It is natural. Then if its focused, the adrenaline that arises from competition, makes perception so acute that things in real time appear in slow motion and our actions become reactions. Where we need to go and do is clear,"the game slows down".

Watching it happen with our team, evident in the play of Moria and Kiah is truly delightful. The genius of Geno and his staff is facilitating this for our players and team.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
what about the other 6 big games: Maryland, Penn State, Baylor, Ohio State, Duke, Cal?
Not so much!
Well, considering that the post I responded to asked if she can do it doesn't matter how she did against the other teams.

But thanks for pointing that out in a thread started to praise Stokes.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The offensive game seems to slowing down for Kiah. She has always had the strength and athleticism and a decent shot. The problem has been she was not comfortable in the flow of our offense. Now she is getting it.

Geno's motion offense requires individual players to respond (read and react) in a extremely dynamic team situation. We fans have been blessed to see the beauty of our team making these decisions at what often appears to be an intuitive level. It is not intuitive because because with the exception of some players who have a savant basketball IQ and athleticism,(we have had some) it comes from constant practice so muscle memory, familiarity and trust makes that our team's play appear reflexive and beautiful.

We have heard coach refer to "players thinking too much". I believe that it may not really be thinking too much but its fear keeping them from doing what they need to do. The fear may arises from the intense spot light, unfamiliarity, self doubt, pain or any number of things.

We all are familiar with this emotion and know the "should haves" it brings. The flip side is when we have a comfort level, self assurance, and skill it allows us to do things easily that others find frightening, difficult or even impossible. We do what we have to do efficiently, quickly without any visible trepidation. It is natural. Then if its focused, the adrenaline that arises from competition, makes perception so acute that things in real time appear in slow motion and our actions become reactions. Where we need to go and do is clear,"the game slows down".

Watching it happen with our team, evident in the play of Moria and Kiah is truly delightful. The genius of Geno and his staff is facilitating this for our players and team.
Excellent post. You need a handle. Robert Wordell just doesn't cut it.

How about ilovedoggydaddy?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Not so much!

44…your words about Kiah in this thread, OP designed to point out positive change, have awakened the juvenile muse in me…this one's 4 and about you

I’m a smarter poster,
Than all of you,
Any player I can roast her,
Watch my keyboard spew

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics