Terribly Unfair | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Terribly Unfair

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think Geno learned the hard way what he now speaks about openly: that elite players often aren't interested so much in championships as in personal goals.

That may be true of a few but not that many. Most of these fine, young ladies go to their respective universities with the same goal, which is to win a championship. But some go to help build programs and lead their teams to things that have not been accomplished before. That should be applauded.

Reaction Score
That may be true of a few but not that many. Most of these fine, young ladies go to their respective universities with the same goal, which is to win a championship. But some go to help build programs and lead their teams to things that have not been accomplished before. That should be applauded.
They're all fine young ladies, but they may have different goals. Absolutely nothing wrong with the much lamented (painful even to mention) Elena D.D. who perhaps quite nobly chose something other than pursuing a championship. And while others may WANT a championship, that might not be their very highest aspiration. I'm not a mind reader, however.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Geno & assistants judgment; Didn't they recruit, 2 years ago, some girl with two busted knees with a reputation for high jumping & some limited basketball playing experience. Hum, I wonder what happened to that girl ? Doubt that she would ever make the starting five ?
dont know about the starting 5 but she could be a Jackson 5
11362955.jpeg
jackson5-1.jpg

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
They're all fine young ladies, but they may have different goals. Absolutely nothing wrong with the much lamented (painful even to mention) Elena D.D. who perhaps quite nobly chose something other than pursuing a championship. And while others may WANT a championship, that might not be their very highest aspiration. I'm not a mind reader, however.
EDD wanted a conference championship and a National championship... what other reason is there to play college basketball. no kid is going to make it all the way to title game and say nah I'm not playing cause I don't wanna win a championship.

if EDD didn't want a championship she shouldn't have signed up with the Blue Hens... go to the Y and play pick-up!

Reaction Score
Who is saying anything like that about our incoming players? Stewie, Tuck, and Mo they will never be, but I doubt they will be failures, whatever that means.
Come on, there is an innuendo that we are not getting high quality kids recently or there wouldn't be so much CONCERN about the near future of the program. The only reason that this type thing is being brought up is the that the two recruits mentioned might fall short of being big or significant contributors. This is a big DUH! I totally agree that people are making assumptions that these kids won't be high level players by people who don't have anything to base that on but second hand information. Meanwhile I can recall that teams like Notre Dame have gotten kids that didn't have much of a reputation over the years that ended up being major contributors so why isn't it possible or maybe even likely that either one or maybe even both of these kids will do the same for the Huskies???? Was Jennifer Rizzotti highly rated coming to UConn. NO! Was Maria Conon? NO! Why isn't it possible that these girls might come in and kick some serious butt! Geno has a system and has won repeatedly with teams composed of girls that on paper seemed to be less than stellar and I'm confident we'll be fine.

Reaction Score
Come on, there is an innuendo that we are not getting high quality kids recently or there wouldn't be so much CONCERN about the near future of the program. The only reason that this type thing is being brought up is the that the two recruits mentioned might fall short of being big or significant contributors. This is a big DUH! I totally agree that people are making assumptions that these kids won't be high level players by people who don't have anything to base that on but second hand information. Meanwhile I can recall that teams like Notre Dame have gotten kids that didn't have much of a reputation over the years that ended up being major contributors so why isn't it possible or maybe even likely that either one or maybe even both of these kids will do the same for the Huskies???? Was Jennifer Rizzotti highly rated coming to UConn. NO! Was Maria Conon? NO! Why isn't it possible that these girls might come in and kick some serious butt! Geno has a system and has won repeatedly with teams composed of girls that on paper seemed to be less than stellar and I'm confident we'll be fine.

Thank YOU for your positive comment on Connecticut born and bred Maria Conlon (for it was Mary mary long before the fashions came--but with society, propriety it became MARIE/Maria)
If Uconn has 2 of the 3 as we were led to believe in their skill sets by the media---Uconn won't be in great hands but they will be better than many expected them to be. If Chong and Ekmark become as they were in HS Geno will be dancing again (if he ever did)..

Reaction Score
EDD wanted a conference championship and a National championship... what other reason is there to play college basketball. no kid is going to make it all the way to title game and say nah I'm not playing cause I don't wanna win a championship.

if EDD didn't want a championship she shouldn't have signed up with the Blue Hens... go to the Y and play pick-up!
You are correct NO ONE goes all the way to the title game then rejects the Championship.
For a few stupid years, I was unhappy with Elena Delle Donne of Deleware--I made her leaving ME personal to me. STUPID!! She is a wonderful young woman who comes from a fantastic family. Her mom is one of the classiest people in this wide wide world. If she followed her mom's values in leaving Uconn when she did--she had her head on straight--if not --I NOW prefer to think of it that way. I'll enjoy watching the best WNBA player and hoping to see how she does as an Olympian.

Many who don't make it to the title game--play at the Y or in the play ground---many high quality players who didnt make the NBA ---are now playing in the parks for FREE!! Just think million dollar talent playing for FREE. What a great country , huh?

Reaction Score
Geno & assistants judgment; Didn't they recruit, 2 years ago, some girl with two busted knees with a reputation for high jumping & some limited basketball playing experience. Hum, I wonder what happened to that girl ? Doubt that she would ever make the starting five ?
I've read what you wrote a dozen times--Hunter? Certainly not Stew. Who then are you writing about? Most likely my ignorance or my tired OLD OLD OLD brain. Hunter was a talent--with limited time due to knees operated on by Uconn--Geno loved her game..

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I've read what you wrote a dozen times--Hunter? Certainly not Stew. Who then are you writing about? Most likely my ignorance or my tired OLD OLD OLD brain. Hunter was a talent--with limited time due to knees operated on by Uconn--Geno loved her game..
The key phrase you missed is "2 years ago", so he was talking about Gabby Williams. But Williams was far more highly regarded than Irwin and Bent. She was ranked 14th by Hoopgurlz, 18th by Prospects Nation, 6th by Blue Star, and I believe 2nd by ASGR. Geno also rolled the dice a couple years earlier than that with some woman from Illinois named Tuck, who was very highly regarded but had knee issues. That seemed to work out well for both parties.

Reaction Score
The key phrase you missed is "2 years ago", so he was talking about Gabby Williams. But Williams was far more highly regarded than Irwin and Bent. She was ranked 14th by Hoopgurlz, 18th by Prospects Nation, 6th by Blue Star, and I believe 2nd by ASGR. Geno also rolled the dice a couple years earlier than that with some woman from Illinois named Tuck, who was very highly regarded but had knee issues. That seemed to work out well for both parties.
Thanks--I missed a lot in that--but I forgot Gabby had bad knees --she was so perfect this year. Hard for me to think anyone on the team these past couple of years could meet his definition.
Thanks for clearing up my fuzzy brain!!
Geno has "rolled the dice" a number of times with players with knee issues--he's won more than he lost. Even Hunter was a WIN--not huge but a WIN. Gabby was a BIG win.

Reaction Score
I've tried to refrain from commenting on the many posts in numerous different threads moaning and groaning about how we are being out-recruited by ND, Baylor, So. Car and other top programs. These posts can't be referring to the 15-16 class because we all agree that by the time Lou and Napheesa are seniors this will prove to have been a terrific class. It also can't be referring to the 17-18 class as that class is shaping up nicely with Lexi and AEH commits and possibly MW. Thus, while no one came out and explicitly said this the neccessary implication of those posts is that..... while Crystal Dangerfield is probably going to be a great pg, Molly and Kyla are going to be failures or at best ordinary role players.
While that may turn out to be true I think it is terribly unfair to Molly and Kyla to make that sort of judgement or prediction before they have played a single minute in a UCONN uniform just because they weren't highly rated in the HS rankings. In fact IMO we won't be able to make an informed judgement until at least the end of their soph year or the middle of their junior year.I understand the the purpose of this board is for us to express our opinions and make predictions but what are those predictions based upon? How many games have these posters seen Molly and Kyla play? Who really can make an informed judgement that these kids don't have the potential skills, grit, determination, BBIQ or intensity to emerge into players far better then the HS rankings suggest. Geno has a pretty good track record and he, at least, sees something in Kyla and Molly.Would I trade Klya or Molly right now for Ionescu or Holmes, or Cox, or Boley or Young....yes I would but I am not prepared to make judgement that Molly orand Kyla are not going to turn out to be terrific players.

This was a good post until you blew it out of the water, no bashing here, all love and kindness to a fellow fan. :) Having said that, you pile praise and kindness on the incoming players, this to protect them from those that may have said something a little less than complimentary. ( I am not one) You captured the emotion with your prose, I was hearing the UCMB playing the fight song in the back ground as you expressed confidence in any choice of the staff. AND THEN...Would I trade Klya or Molly right now for Ionescu or Holmes, or Cox, or Boley or Young....yes. OUCH! BOOM, POW, poof, the band stopped playing and everything you said previous went out the window. :( No slander here as you say we all have opinions and a right to them but on this occasion you have a bit of a contradiction here, you can't have it both ways sad to say. ;)

Reaction Score
This was a good post until you blew it out of the water, no bashing here, all love and kindness to a fellow fan. :) Having said that, you pile praise and kindness on the incoming players, this to protect them from those that may have said something a little less than complimentary. ( I am not one) You captured the emotion with your prose, I was hearing the UCMB playing the fight song in the back ground as you expressed confidence in any choice of the staff. AND THEN...Would I trade Klya or Molly right now for Ionescu or Holmes, or Cox, or Boley or Young....yes. OUCH! BOOM, POW, poof, the band stopped playing and everything you said previous went out the window. :( No slander here as you say we all have opinions and a right to them but on this occasion you have a bit of a contradiction here, you can't have it both ways sad to say. ;)

Actually---Really--you can have it in as many ways as you choose to you submit your OPINION--no one has to agree with it but --and opinion is an opinion which means it is something I personally think, believe, contrive, or modify and state as MY OPINION!
I for one, at this time in the process, would not trade Irwin or Bent for those that you mention. Foolish? Maybe, but only time (next fall) will tell--we shall see what we shall see!1

Reaction Score
For the next 2 years, 4 of your starters getting a lot of minutes are, Kia, Gabby, KLS, and Collier. You also have a great point guard coming in who needs minutes to get better, you don't need superstars as recruits, but people who can give quality minutes from the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom