Term Limits for the Olympic team | The Boneyard

Term Limits for the Olympic team

Reaction Score
One writers seems to think it's a good idea

I happen to be of the opinion that taking turns is for rec leagues, and I have a hard time imagining this suggestion being made seriously on the men's side. The best players in the country represent us at the Olympics, period.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I want to ask Sue Favor would she dare to ask Lebron and Stephen to play only 2 times in Olympic.

The best players, doesn't matter age, play the Olympic for their country.

And, is this a age discrimination?

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
One writers seems to think it's a good idea

I happen to be of the opinion that taking turns is for rec leagues, and I have a hard time imagining this suggestion being made seriously on the men's side. The best players in the country represent us at the Olympics, period.

Most on the men side who have played for 2 Olympic teams pass the torch to others after their second appearance. Of course there are exceptions .... Anthony played on 4 teams....... Robinson, James, and a few others played on 3 teams.

Yeah, I want to ask Sue Favor would she dare to ask Lebanon and Stephen to play only 2 times in Olympic.

The best players, doesn't matter age, play the Olympic for their country.

And, is this a age discrimination?

Curry has never played on an Olympic team. I assume you were talking about Stephen Curry

Reaction Score
Most on the men side who have played for 2 Olympic teams pass the torch to others after their second appearance. Of course there are exceptions .... Anthony played on 4 teams.. Robinson, James, and a few others played on 3 teams.

Curry has never played on an Olympic team. I assume you were talking about Stephen Curry
The NBA players played more than 2 terms are not less than WNBA players.
So you think Curry will not play in the next 2 Olympics?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
There's no math to determine that player A, ranked by humans or computer, is better than player B. This is not science. Given the large pool of very good players, who can demonstrate that taking turns is a deficit?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I think people are just mad that the roster is dominated by UConn players.

It's not that the roster is dominated by UConn players. It's that the roster has been dominated by the same players for a long time. Whalen & Augustus would be two non-UConn examples. I wish some of them would retire from international play though they should by no means feel obliged to.

Bird and Taurasi are legitimate living legends but if they are on the team again in 2020...

I feel like we're getting to a point where a whole generation of guards has been completely blocked from the national team. You could say it's up to them to be better and force their way into the team. But Vandersloot has been better (statistically, at least) than Whalen and Bird in recent seasons and eventually saw the writing on the wall and started playing for Hungary. Diggins didn't get picked for 2014 worlds after an all-WNBA season.

It's a lot harder to get a spot on the team than to keep it. It seems like favoritism hiding behind the guise of "experience".

Reaction Score
No..... I never make shush misteaks when it comes to English. I always proveread tree or fore times before I heat the send button
Sorry, your jokes are not appreciated at all ....

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Sue Favor is a dishonest and hypocritical hack with a thinly veiled orange agenda.

A few weeks before the Rio Olympics, she advocated for kicking Taurasi off the Olympic team because she had received several technical fouls in the WNBA season.

On Sunday night, after her beloved Lady Vols picked up multiple technical fouls for taunting against Texas, she made no effort to conceal her giddiness, praising the team for playing "cohesively and aggressively."

Reaction Score
Did President Carter think about the athletes when he pulled out of the Moscow Olympics? Some of those athletes never got another chance. Geno was not picking the team; there was a committee that pick the players, with I'm sure input from Geno, Doug, Sue, Dawn and Cheryl.

Reaction Score
Going to the Olympics is not a right. It is an honor given to the top players who in a team sports can comprise the best team. The concept of limited number of times a player can be an Olympian is ridiculous and comes only because some people are unhappy with the number of UConn players on the team. As long as DT and Bird are considered good enough to go, they should and same with any others. It is very possible that by 2020 some players slowed down and other players are better and than those should be considered.
In regard to the college players on the team! It's clear their chances are slim to none to make the 2018 team but this is a good way to prepare a backup for the time they will be needed to step up and be on such a team.

Reaction Score
There's no math to determine that player A, ranked by humans or computer, is better than player B. This is not science. Given the large pool of very good players, who can demonstrate that taking turns is a deficit?
A) Players are objectively better or worse than each other. If we could do a statistically large sample of games, you could identify the best combination of players.
B) Obviously, in a real life case, there's no way to do that. But, as long as the estimation of the selection committee of what is best for both the short and long term success of the Olympic team is even slightly better than chance, then taking turns will come at a deficit to performance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One point Sue misses is that USA basketball rewards players that have involved themselves in their program. There are several players in the W who declined to play USA ball or declined the opportunity to participate in years when only a world championship was at stake and only showed up in Olympic years.

I might add that unlike most I see the Olympics as little more than a marketing event that exploits nationalistic fervor while enriching construction companies while bankrupting many of the nations whose leaders put tens of billions in debt on the backs of their citizens. I'd much rather see the Olympics ban any display of flags on their grounds and return the games to their original purpose which was to identify and honor the best athletes. In my Olympics any group of say, 10, could form a basketball team and try to qualify for the games through qualifying tournaments. Instead of allowing any nation to field a team, no matter how marginal they are, the competition would actually feature the best players in the world and those watching could honor the winners instead of participating in jingoistic chanting.

Rant over.

Reaction Score
This idea only comes about when you’re winning all the time. As soon as the team lost a game, everyone would realize that you needed to have the best players.

The selection committee should consider longevity as one of many factors. If the 12th slot is between a 40 year old and a 20 year old, I would hope they would recognize that selecting the 20 would help down the road.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom