Tennessee women pause basketball activities... | The Boneyard

Tennessee women pause basketball activities...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Lady Vol hoops pausing team activities

Next 2 games postponed. Not sure if it was a player or just someone affiliated with the program. Apparently the team went to their homes for Christmas. Hopefully this won't impact the UCONN - Tennessee game Jan 21 in Knoxville.

Just goes to show another difference between UCONN and other teams - the players all chose to stay on campus for the holidays in spite of the fact that it was a harder personal choice - they prefer to be able to play basketball. Good for UCONN.

Reaction Score
That state is a viral rampage right now and they let spectators into the games. UConn should seriously consider cancelling that game; it’s not safe to travel and/or play there under current conditions.

Reaction Score
Tennessee and Alabama are in rough shape Covid wise right now. They are right behind California. I just read, this past Sunday saw the most airline passengers in one day, since this crazy pandemic started.

Reaction Score
I wish the Tennessee women well. It's the luck of the draw with the virus. UCONN may be next.

I recall the Clint Eastwood character in the movie, "The Unforgiven":

A young cowboy, talking about someone who has just been shot, says, "He had it comin.'

Clint Eastwood responds, "We've all got it coming', kid."

Reaction Score
That state is a viral rampage right now and they let spectators into the games. UConn should seriously consider cancelling that game; it’s not safe to travel and/or play there under current conditions.
Texas is not any better

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
TN limits fans to approximately 10% capacity at Boling Arena, they are required to wear masks, and they won’t be sitting directly behind UConn’s bench. Whenever UConn travels they observe strict protocols whether it’s on the plane, bus, hotel or in the arenas they play in.

Outside of the UConn travel party, the only interaction of any kind is with the 5 players on the opposing team during the game itself. Basically, there is no greater risk traveling to TN then traveling to Villanova or Seton Hall.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Tennessee and Alabama are in rough shape Covid wise right now. They are right behind California. I just read, this past Sunday saw the most airline passengers in one day, since this crazy pandemic started.

Some Californians (not all) are still refusing to wear a mask in public, and refuse to acknowledge that the pandemic exists and can be deadly.

There is a state wide “stay-at-home“ order that few people are adhering to. Many here chose to fly home for Christmas believing it was safe, and they were not in danger.

We are already at 100% capacity of ICU rooms. Many large hospitals have erected temporary ER triage and ICU facilities in their parking lots. It’s bad out here. :(

We just lost another California resident this morning to COVID-19 complications. Former TV star Dawn Wells (Mary Ann of Gilligan's Island). She was 82. :(

Last edited:
Reaction Score
TN limits fans to approximately 10% capacity at Boling Arena, they are required to wear masks, and they won’t be sitting directly behind UConn’s bench. Whenever UConn travels they observe strict protocols whether it’s on the plane, bus, hotel or in the arenas they play in.

Outside of the UConn travel party, the only interaction of any kind is with the 5 players on the opposing team during the game itself. Basically, there is no greater risk traveling to TN then traveling to Villanova or Seton Hall.
Hope you're right. BTW I think it's 18% at TBA (=~4000), but whatever. Whichever it is, there are 2200 or 4000 fans yelling in an enclosed building together for 2+ hours. Similar situation at Baylor. Not seeing how this can't be riskier than limiting attendance to zero fans, only team and staff who are tested multiple times per week.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hope you're right. BTW I think it's 18% at TBA (=~4000), but whatever. Whichever it is, there are 2200 or 4000 fans yelling in an enclosed building together for 2+ hours. Similar situation at Baylor. Not seeing how this can't be riskier than limiting attendance to zero fans, only team and staff who are tested multiple times per week.
You may be correct on attendance. I just noted that for all their home games, LV attendance has been consistently around 2100 fans.

Certainly there is less risk with zero fans, but in a cavernous arena, with a limited number of masked fans separated, and seated no closer than 20-30 feet from the court, there is relatively little risk of airborne transmission from fans to players.

Reaction Score
You may be correct on attendance. I just noted that for all their home games, LV attendance has been consistently around 2100 fans.

Certainly there is less risk with zero fans, but in a cavernous arena, with a limited number of masked fans separated, and seated no closer than 20-30 feet from the court, there is relatively little risk of airborne transmission from fans to players.
This article may be outdated (Nov 5), or maybe fan interest hasn't been over 2100...?? @stwainfan - help?

Reaction Score
Tenn and Baylor list their home attendance so far this season around 2100-2200. Louiseville around 2600. SC lists an even 3500 for every home game

I just shut CNN off. They listed the estimate for the original number of vaccines in US by the end of 2021 at 200 million then it was dropped to 40 million, now at 20 million. They had hoped for 20 million vaccinations before the end of 2020, and they have only 2 million. They are just numbers and the source is questionable. I do hope and expect the pace to quicken.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Of course there is greater risk. The virus is more prevalent there and even people wearing masks indoors will spread the virus over a three hour period. Not to mention going through the airport and staying in a hotel where a large segment of the the local population doesn’t really accept the fact that anything is wrong. Programs are starting to shut down and Tennessee is currently on hiatus. They shouldn’t play that game, and most likely won’t.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Of course there is greater risk. The virus is more prevalent there and even people wearing masks indoors will spread the virus over a three hour period. Not to mention going through the airport and staying in a hotel where a large segment of the the local population doesn’t really accept the fact that anything is wrong. Programs are starting to shut down and Tennessee is currently on hiatus. They shouldn’t play that game, and most likely won’t.
I think it’s important to understand the nature of the risk. In a cavernous indoor arena with hepa filters recirculating air and limited attendance, with fans segregated from players well beyond CDC recommended social distancing guidelines, there is almost no chance that players can be exposed to a viral load factor from fans sufficient to transmit the disease.

In addition, I believe that temperature checks are also performed on everyone entering the arena. As for the players and coaches, the NCAA requires that they are tested a minimum of 3 times per week, including 48 hrs prior to game time. While temperature checks and nasal swabs are certainly not foolproof, they do provide some measure of security.

As for the airport, UConn WBB flies via a small chartered jet. Other than the crew, the only passengers are the UConn WBB travel party. They board and deplane through isolated private terminals, thereby avoiding the crowds at major
passenger terminals. Buses to and from airports are the same deal.

As for the hotel, all checkin and checkout is done remotely. The keys are waiting for the team and coaches when they arrive. There are no team meals in the hotel restaurant. Everything is boxed and delivered to the players and coaches to eat in their room.

Is there risk?
Yes.

Can the risk be managed and minimized?
Also yes.

Will we make it to the end of the basketball season, through and including the Big Dance?
I really don’t know.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I am bummed. My St. Louis Billikens men's and women's teams are on pause. This is one of the best men's teams St. Louis has ever had. I really hope the UConn season and whole basketball season will not be cancelled. However, I don't think it will happen, not with the way the country is lagging behind on administering vaccines and so many people getting infected. This new strain is not helping. It's a good thing UConn has no seniors.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom