Tennessee wins at Vanderbilt | The Boneyard

Tennessee wins at Vanderbilt

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Tennessee 65 Vanderbilt 51. Tennessee 16-1 on the season.
Horston a double double. Burrell 11 points.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Vandy held their own in the 2nd half. Just outsized. Good discipline by Vandy getting alot of steals and not TO themselves but poor Commodores couldn't see the bucket although undersized team on the Offensive glass was cool. Shea's team fought hard.

Horston looks pretty good. She used to let her shooting woes and TO's affect other parts of her game but not now.

Reaction Score
I watched part of the game...I was surprised that Key didn't attempt more shots. There were plenty of opportunities around the basket that I thought she should have attacked the basket instead of making a pass. She's like 5" taller than Vandy's tallest player.

Reaction Score
The LVs are getting there and this could be their best team since the first year or so of the HW era. There are still gaps but whereas these would previously cause them lose games, now they are compensating for them in other areas.

Horston is still not a great shooter and too often forces the issue. There are still too many turnovers and the half court offense isn't always pretty but they are finding ways to win. What is obvious is Harper has turned the corner with them on chemistry and cohesion.

Harper may never win a NC but she has for now cleaned up a pretty bad mess.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I knew Tennessee was gonna be dangerous. But they are now being more consistent.

I’m happy for them.
LSU is well equipped to wipe the floor with Tennessee. Speedy guards and the big bodies to box out. Key is a non factor in games with people her height or weight. Horston will get a double double against LSU guards....10 points...10 turnovers.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I would be interested in some idea of this article about DShea Ralph from the Tennessian (behind a paywall)

Reaction Score
LSU is well equipped to wipe the floor with Tennessee. Speedy guards and the big bodies to box out. Key is a non factor in games with people her height or weight. Horston will get a double double against LSU guards....10 points...10 turnovers.
LSU is not wiping the floor with Tennessee. Tennessee is a much better team on the boards than us. SC exposed our posts outside of going beyond Aifuwa. But Tennessee is much better matchup for us than teams like Missouri who have speedy players who jack up 3's like there is no ones business. The last game of the year should be exciting. LSU finally has an offense for a change.

Reaction Score
LSU is not wiping the floor with Tennessee. Tennessee is a much better team on the boards than us. SC exposed our posts outside of going beyond Aifuwa. But Tennessee is much better matchup for us than teams like Missouri who have speedy players who jack up 3's like there is no ones business. The last game of the year should be exciting. LSU finally has an offense for a change.
I don't see Tennessee matching up well with the speed of Cherry, Morris and Pointer. Vandy pressing gave the TN guards fits. And Key will foul out having to guard Aufuwa and Gusters...plus trying to keep LSU guards out of the paint. LSU can pack the paint because TN isn't a great shooting team. And in a close game...LSU has the option of fouling. TN as a team...shoots 62% and their PGs are two of the worst. The game is at TN so...there's the phantom fouls to be conscious of. Ask Texas. Even TN fans admitted the refs were awful. Maybe Burrell puts up 25-30?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I knew Tennessee was gonna be dangerous. But they are now being more consistent.

I’m happy for them.
Was kind of agreeing, until the last sentence.

Yep Yes GIF by State Farm

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The Lady Vols are quietly going about their business. This team is going to be tough to beat.
The drought is over at Tennessee. Coach Kellie Harper has done what her predecessor Holly Warlick could not do. Return the Lady VOLS to national prominence and a top 5 ranking. They have been quietly going about their business. They are 16-1 with wins over 3 top 25 teams (UCF, Texas & Texas A&M). Their only loss was to #3 Stanford 74-63. They will be a tough out come March. UConn will see just how tough they are on Feb 6. at the XL Center (Fox) Normally UConn is the BIGGEST game on their schedule. This year, it's #1 South Carolina followed by #3 Stanford. A Sunday afternoon nationally televised game, should be a good one.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I don't see Tennessee matching up well with the speed of Cherry, Morris and Pointer. Vandy pressing gave the TN guards fits. And Key will foul out having to guard Aufuwa and Gusters...plus trying to keep LSU guards out of the paint. LSU can pack the paint because TN isn't a great shooting team. And in a close game...LSU has the option of fouling. TN as a team...shoots 62% and their PGs are two of the worst. The game is at TN so...there's the phantom fouls to be conscious of. Ask Texas. Even TN fans admitted the refs were awful. Maybe Burrell puts up 25-30?
Darby, Puckett and Walker are all between 34-35% from deep. Not great, but they can hit shots. I think it'll be a good game. Tennessee's guards aren't as quick as LSU's but they have lenght and will murder you on the glass. If Burrell returns to form (she still doesn't look like she's in game shape yet) they're going to be really really dangerous IMO. They don't blow teams out but they can hang with anyone and aren't going to get rattled even if the opponent goes on a run.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom