Tennessee thread | The Boneyard

Tennessee thread

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
No thread for the LVs? Amazing.

Anywho, here’s a late Christmas present for you. I will be watching Montverde next month when they play IMG Academy. There’s a UConn commit on IMG and one person of interest on each team.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Maybe if Tennessee can go on a strong run of games, interest in the LVs will pick up but considering they were down by 17 to Kentucky at home before storming back to win by 11, I think the TN fans want to keep a lower profile.

Reaction Score
Maybe if Tennessee can go on a strong run of games, interest in the LVs will pick up but considering they were down by 17 to Kentucky at home before storming back to win by 11, I think the TN fans want to keep a lower profile.
They looked terrible vs a bad Auburn team as well and basically played most the game behind before coming back in the 2nd half, and this is with Rickea being back...

2-0 is 2-0 but TN is going to have to pick up their level of play if they want to finish high as they want in the SEC standings and with their NCAAT resume... these type of performances are going to lead to many losses down the road in conference play if they don't get it together.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
For the record, there WAS a Tennessee thread:

It had simply fallen way down because no one had posted there for a few weeks.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What’s the issue with the LVs - coaching, talent, chemistry…? Any thoughts?

Reaction Score
What’s the issue with the LVs - coaching, talent, chemistry…? Any thoughts?
For me, one of the biggest problems during Kellie's reign has been turnovers. 16.7 per game this year has them ranked at around 211th . That's gonna cost you games that you should win. They also lead to dejection in spirit

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
For me, one of the biggest problems during Kellie's reign has been turnovers. 16.7 per game this year has them ranked at around 211th . That's gonna cost you games that you should win. They also lead to dejection in spirit
To me, that’s another way to say poor chemistry

Reaction Score
Maybe its me but TN's D has also been not very good this year.

Turnovers are a glaring issue at times. I think they miss Horston (who is tough to replace) but the chemistry just isn't there right now watching them play. When they get to the better teams in SEC play (SC, LSU, etc) they are going to need much more than just Rickea putting up 20-30 points, they are going to need to take care of the ball, rebound and play better D

Reaction Score

I watched some of the game Sunday. The announcers said she was okay with all the turnovers because they were playing a fast tempo pace. Clearly, some of it is coaching

Reaction Score
Wasn’t Tennessee suppose to make a run at a final 4?
Dunno about that. Pre-season rank was around 12-15.

Started off decently. Beat Okla. Lost close one to ND. Then ...

Rickea got hurt and missed 8 games.
Wells, their assist leader, got injured and is out for the season.
Plus, Key is nowhere near what she was pre-injury.

And they've played like crud in the first half of many games. Saved only by strong comeback in the 3rd.

Reaction Score
I thought they would be better. Rotation seems to be long at this point in the season. Jackson back at 100% conditioning wise? I'm guessing, no.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I haven't watched Tennessee recently as I've been focusing on ACC ball and the whacky Pac-12...but I did watch the Lady Vols a few times in the early part of the season. My impression is that Jewell Spear is being poorly utilized; she was a great long-range threat at Wake Forest but the few times I saw Tennessee, there wasn't much effort put in trying to isolate her so she could shoot the THREE.

Spear also committed some uncharacteristic turnovers when I watched her...so not only was she not scoring like she is capable, but she was turning the ball over, too. But if she were used like she should be, then the turnovers wouldn't be an issue.

JMHO.

Reaction Score
I've watched a few UT games including the one yesterday.

The LVs are incredibly slow. Speed hasn't been a UT staple but this team looks even slower on the court than usual. They also turn the ball over far too much to be a competitive team. This lack of speed and chemistry results in defensive lapses that happen far too often.

RJ was off yesterday, not sure why but she just didn't have it. Spear has been pretty good a few games this year but also seems to struggle handling the ball. Powell has improved somewhat over last year but she sometimes fails to make good decisions.

I respect and admire Key for going out there to play but she is very limited in what she can give (not her fault, just the reality). Hollingshed confuses me as someone that athletic should be more fluid on the court. Striplin has come a long way but she too struggled yesterday.

The LVs have some individually talented players but right now the pieces aren't fitting. I was generally supportive of Harper as a good, not great, hire, but it's evident she isn't going to put the LVs back in the position of being a nationally competitive program, which is what the fans truly want and expect. Right now they will be lucky to get in the tournament even as a low seed.

Reaction Score
I haven't watched Tennessee recently as I've been focusing on ACC ball and the whacky Pac-12...but I did watch the Lady Vols a few times in the early part of the season. My impression is that Jewell Spear is being poorly utilized; she was a great long-range threat at Wake Forest but the few times I saw Tennessee, there wasn't much effort put in trying to isolate her so she could shoot the THREE.

Spear also committed some uncharacteristic turnovers when I watched her...so not only was she not scoring like she is capable, but she was turning the ball over, too. But if she were used like she should be, then the turnovers wouldn't be an issue.

JMHO.

I was listening to the analyst in their previous games. They said coach Harper can live with the turnovers because they want to run the ball. Speed the game up. I’m not sure what coach would say that but….

Reaction Score
I was listening to the analyst in their previous games. They said coach Harper can live with the turnovers because they want to run the ball. Speed the game up. I’m not sure what coach would say that but….
Years ago Hatchell said that when she had Latta as her PG. Those UNC teams were very good but had way too many turnovers.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Kentucky is not very good.

Reaction Score
Agree on Kentucky. Terrible. They offered little resistance to what we wanted to do offensively. On the other hand, SC was clicking.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Back to Tennesse- they are 10-6 with a #32 Massey and #64 NET. The Massey predictor has them going 6-6 the rest of the season to finish, 16-13 and 9-7. Not counting the usual 1-1 SECT result for Kellie, is that enough to get them in the NCAAT? If Tennessee loses to any ot their “expected wins“ (2 w/Vandy, Georgia, Arkansa, Missouri , Texas A&M) they could be in real troubl. Heck even going 6-6 could doom them and the NCAAT streak….

Reaction Score
Back to Tennesse- they are 10-6 with a #32 Massey and #64 NET. The Massey predictor has them going 6-6 the rest of the season to finish, 16-13 and 9-7. Not counting the usual 1-1 SECT result for Kellie, is that enough to get them in the NCAAT? If Tennessee loses to any ot their “expected wins“ (2 w/Vandy, Georgia, Arkansa, Missouri , Texas A&M) they could be in real troubl. Heck even going 6-6 could doom them and the NCAAT streak….
It shouldn't be. They're 64th in the Net right now and lost almost every OOC game that mattered. They need Oklahoma to go nuts in the Big 12, and even that might not be enough at 17-14

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom