Tennessee Postgame thread | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Tennessee Postgame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Where do we go to see the +/- on the year? I really would like to see the data.
Got to the UConn wbb site, click on schedule, scroll down to an unplayed game, click on “live stats”, scroll down to last game played (in this case Tennessee), click on final stats, click on home team, click on season. +/- is on the far right.

Reaction Score
Got to the UConn wbb site, click on schedule, scroll down to an unplayed game, click on “live stats”, scroll down to last game played (in this case Tennessee), click on final stats, click on home team, click on season. +/- is on the far right.
Thanks!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Umm... As I pointed out, concussions are often not properly diagnosed by staff of athletic teams. It's a scandal, actually. So I'll stock with my opinion that she should be careful. Wouldn't you if your child had been whacked in the head repeatedly? Or doesn't it matter?
They’re not diagnosed or misdiagnosed because athletes underreport them or give answers they think will let them get back on the field or court sooner. There’s been an actual study.

After Geno lost a Sweet 16 game vs Iowa State years ago when Svet Abrosimova didn’t report her sore foot, a stress fracture, he’s not taking any risks that the athlete will hurt themselves or the team by playing hero.

Reaction Score
Mixed feelings on Horston and especially Key. Horston was unstoppable the 2nd half on her midrange shots while Key just seemed to stand there on offense. If Tenn had even an average point guard who could move the ball, suspect both would have been better. Not sure if due to coaching or player brain farts, but letting virtually all the UConn guards shoot open 3's the 2nd half also seemed one of the keys to the game. Tenn bigs did not seem to know what to do when ONO and Edwards proved they could guard them one on one. 1-2 new players next year for Tenn could make a big difference.

Reaction Score
Nika Muhl hit the 'kill shots' in the 3rd quarter to give us a 21 point lead. Azzi scored 16 second-half points after we had that twenty point lead. Need I say more? And wasn't it Nika Muhl who selflessly dished to Azzi to hit that final 3-ball that made the fans go wild? End of story.
Fortunately, there were multiple "kill" shots in this game. Some included:
-Evina came off bench and immediately hit a three when UConn could not make a shot and the score was going back and forth. Followed up with another critical 3 a few minutes later and the game still close.
-Muhl hit two wide open 3s to extend UConn's lead. Equally important was the signal that Tenn could no longer just pack it in, doubling our bigs.
-With Tenn having cut 26 point lead down to 13 and UConn struggling to do anyone on the offensive end, Edwards hit long 3. Besides helping many cardiac doctors expand their practices, seemed to take air out of Tenn.
-Prior to her end of game hot streak, Azzi made a few shots, extending UConn's lead. May have been more important at the time than the exceptional hot streak she got on in 4th Q.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It's on another thread from today. On youtube.

Love this highlight clip for Azzi today:

FUDD NAMED BIG EAST FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK

Thanks for posting this highlight video, I loved it. What we saw Sunday was just the tip of the iceberg. The more Azzi plays, the more comfortable she will become with her teammates and THEIR game. It will be interesting to see if Geno starts her again tomorrow against Villanova. One thing we found out Sunday, Azzi is a bucket!! ;)

Whether she starts or not, she should get starter's minutes.
On nights when Azzi, Christyn and Caroline are all hot from from behind the arc, teams won't be able to pack it in which means no double teams on ONO. One-on-one, Liv should be able to dominate any post player in the Big East. Those of you lucky enough to attend this game may want to take an umbrella with you. At some point during the game, the forecast calls for rain. It should be raining threes on UConn's end of the court. :)

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Horston is shooting 37% for the year, 22% from 3. She is shooting the bulk of their shots and leading the team in rebounding...etc. Green was shooting 55%. Losing green dropped the scoring efficiency of the team a lot. Green's shots are now largely Horstons shots and Horston isn't converting at the same rate. Also Key is getting fewer shots now and she is shooting at a very high percentage. Losing Green was the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't blame Horston but they need an offense, not 2 players only scoring.
I've not read any analysis that says losing Green is the reason for any drop in Tennessee's scoring efficiency, let alone by a lot. Green played 14 mpg and averaged 4.5 FGA per game. At 55% she made just under 2.5 FGs per game. As for Green's shots now "largely" Horston's shots, the numbers don't bear that out. Horston's FGAs per game have increased about 1.6 since Green's injury. It looks like Green's 4.5 shots per game are being made up by players other than just Horston. Tennessee's scoring efficiency was an issue even with Green playing. You are correct that Key is taking fewer shots per game, a trend that started early January. That's a problem and one that Harper needs to address.

What has been reported is that Green was the team's emotional leader and that void has not been filled. The Vols have enough veteran players and they should eventually be able to overcome that loss.

Reaction Score
Why on earth don't they include that in the regular box scores?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What has been reported is that Green was the team's emotional leader and that void has not been filled. The Vols have enough veteran players and they should eventually be able to overcome that loss.
Did Tennessee ship the kid off to Siberia or something? Can’t she be an emotional leader from the bench? I’d think if she were that vital to the team’s psyche, she could inspire them by cheering them on from the sideline.

If the team is that mentally fragile, they can kiss their championship aspirations good bye

Reaction Score
Did Tennessee ship the kid off to Siberia or something? Can’t she be an emotional leader from the bench? I’d think if she were that vital to the team’s psyche, she could inspire them by cheering them on from the bench.

If the team is that mentally fragile, they can kiss their championship aspirations good bye
Kind of like Paige has done for UCONN... We all know that despite only being a Sophomore, Paige is the emotional leader of UCONN WBB... and she has done everything she can to do that from the Bench. Yes, the Huskies had their one game "meltdown" after Paige's injury, but rebounded from that to have a pretty good season. One would think a Senior (Super Senior??) could do the same?

Reaction Score
I've not read any analysis that says losing Green is the reason for any drop in Tennessee's scoring efficiency, let alone by a lot. Green played 14 mpg and averaged 4.5 FGA per game. At 55% she made just under 2.5 FGs per game. As for Green's shots now "largely" Horston's shots, the numbers don't bear that out. Horston's FGAs per game have increased about 1.6 since Green's injury. It looks like Green's 4.5 shots per game are being made up by players other than just Horston. Tennessee's scoring efficiency was an issue even with Green playing. You are correct that Key is taking fewer shots per game, a trend that started early January. That's a problem and one that Harper needs to address.

I'm not sure where to look but are we sure the shots are even being "made up"? Could it also be that the total number of shots are down 2.9 shots per game?

Reaction Score

Tennessee's post bench behind Key makes Piath and DeBerry look like All Conference performers this year. They are just not ready for prime time. The loss of Green has made Tamari Key more tentative in the last few games...maybe because she's afraid to get in early foul trouble. That pretty much negates her. She's not a great offensive threat unless she gets the ball in the right spot, but she can single handedly wreck teams on defense. Alexus Dye was also a non-factor. Not sure if she's suffering from injuries, but she's part of their rebounding wave. She barely played after the first half.

To @HuskyNan 's question, I've said the same thing. Keyen isn't dead. She can still be a leader from the bench. Granted, she wasn't at the game on Sunday, but you guys lost Caroline at the last minute and did just fine. They need to get over it and figure out how to get the most of their rotation.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
:eek:I’m concerned about the amount of sound free advice that both @HuskyNan and @UConnCat is offering the Lady Vols in this thread. I realize that you are both only pointing out the obvious but somethings you just gotta to figure out for yourself. Besides Lady Vols have Coach Jumper on retainer.

Reaction Score
Can everyone remember it is a team sport! All these athletes are playing their hearts out. It has been a tough season with all the different combinations of line ups and substitutions! EVERYONE has contributed in some way in each game. I find the negativity towards any of our players annoying and just wrong! Let's support our entire team and coaches!

Reaction Score
Umm... As I pointed out, concussions are often not properly diagnosed by staff of athletic teams. It's a scandal, actually. So I'll stock with my opinion that she should be careful. Wouldn't you if your child had been whacked in the head repeatedly? Or doesn't it matter?
again, you are assuming that she wasn't looked at/or assessed by physicians. Time to move on.

Reaction Score
Mixed feelings on Horston and especially Key. Horston was unstoppable the 2nd half on her midrange shots while Key just seemed to stand there on offense. If Tenn had even an average point guard who could move the ball, suspect both would have been better. Not sure if due to coaching or player brain farts, but letting virtually all the UConn guards shoot open 3's the 2nd half also seemed one of the keys to the game. Tenn bigs did not seem to know what to do when ONO and Edwards proved they could guard them one on one. 1-2 new players next year for Tenn could make a big difference.
Hoppy- kinda like Pistol Pete—Let him fire away. He’ll get his 30 or 40.
We still win.

Reaction Score
Did Tennessee ship the kid off to Siberia or something? Can’t she be an emotional leader from the bench? I’d think if she were that vital to the team’s psyche, she could inspire them by cheering them on from the sideline.

Keyen has knee surgery the Tuesday before the game. ACL repair. She wasn't on the bench Thursday at Florida or Sunday at Connecticut.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Keyen has knee surgery the Tuesday before the game. ACL repair. She wasn't on the bench Thursday at Florida or Sunday at Connecticut.
The Huskies found out Caroline Ducharme wasn’t available right before the game.

My point remains - teams lose players to illness or injury. Teams need a certain mental toughness to keep going. I’m not seeing in Tennessee so far.

Reaction Score
It's right there in the numbers. Tennessee has lots of players shooting less than 40%. Losing anyone shooting 55% is a big deal even if it is only 7 points a game. As a team they are shooting around 41% and if you take Key's scoring out of that mix they can't score well. Pucketts a good shot but she's not good at anything else. They are a paper tiger now. Burrell is shooting 40%. Horston shooting 37%. Jordan Walker 33%. Darby 33%. Miles 36%. All these players are playing approximately 20 minutes or more per game. They can't score. I hope to God we face them again in the playoffs. Shutting down Key was the "key" to winning this game. They can't score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom