Tennessee parts ways with Kellie (Jolly) Harper [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tennessee parts ways with Kellie (Jolly) Harper [merged thread]

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Trying to repeat history is a difficult task. While TN once dominated both the SEC and WBB, those days are long gone. SC, LSU & TX will be the new powerhouse teams in the SEC for the foreseeable future.

Whoever the new HC is in Knoxville, they will have an enormously difficult task, not simply to field a competitive team, but to also meet the lofty and often unrealistic expectations of a fan base that believes that TN can return to the glory days that once existed under Pat Summit.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Trying to repeat history is a difficult task. While TN once dominated both the SEC and WBB, those days are long gone. SC, LSU & TX will be the new powerhouse teams in the SEC for the foreseeable future.

Whoever the new HC is in Knoxville, they will have an enormously difficult task, not simply to field a competitive team, but to also meet the lofty and often unrealistic expectations of a fan base that believes that TN can return to the glory days that once existed under Pat Summit.
+1. I was never sold on KJH as a second coming of Pat, but I also think the program needs to adjust its expectations - consistent 20-win seasons + multiple Sweet Sixteens is pretty solid, especially now that she's in conference with Dawn, Kim, et al. And I think with the right assistant coaches, KJH could have kept the program as a top 10 contender. It'll be really interesting to see who they get, because I'm having a hard time envisioning who's available, interested, and would be fairly certain to do significantly better than her record over five seasons, other than Kara. - whose interest and availability is unknown.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It's not easy taking over for a legend, and TN is now two coaches away from Summitt. Wondering if that will still be an almost impossible job to fill, considering Pat's heavy legacy and the rabid fanbase of expectations.
It's not exactly comparable, but UCLA is still struggling and probably never will find a coach to fit the bill since Wooden retired. How many decades has that been?

Reaction Score
As my avatar title states "I may not be the sharpest...", so how did Harper come to be known as Jolly?
Reading the thread title, I had no idea who was let go.
Jolly is her maiden name, and she was known as Kelly Jolly while in school. Her married name is Harper. Sometimes she referred to as Jolly, and sometimes, Harper.

Reaction Score
No worries. Shea has a double dose of UConn and Vanderbilt dislike of UT. She is quite fond of Kellie Harper, though, and has spoken several times about how much she loved competing against her in their youth. I'm also a Harper fan. I would love to see her land somewhere that she can enjoy coaching again.
This!!

Reaction Score
Sounds like Harper could have stayed had she agreed to part with Staff. She declined. Not sure which staff member(s).
Reading this tells me she’s a loyal, honorable person. It’s too bad she’s relieved of her duties as the Vols’ HC.

Reaction Score
Tennessee must be going Big Game Hunting for a new coach to compete with Mulkey, Staley, and Vic Schaefer in the SEC.
While he is newly hired, leaving out Brooks is a mistake. Believe you'll see Kentucky giving Staley fits as soon as year 2-3. Believe it or not, the template for hiring an outstanding coach is already there. Set by Wes Moore, Kenny Brooks, and as he's showing at W. Va, Mark Kellogg. And, one might say, Carla Berube. And, of course, there are others. Take a coach that's proven to be an enormously successful coach at smaller schools, and base the hire, beginning with an outstanding track record coaching. Then look at the other factors you view as "must haves".

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I understand your point. However, in my opinion, they were more trying to repeat history by hiring someone that either played there, or was a long time assistant. Very few programs have the right mixture to be incredibly successful. For example, Alabama in football tried to keep it in the family for many years before finally going for the absolute best coach out there. Tennessee has all those same ingredients to make a similar impact.

Reaction Score
+1. I was never sold on KJH as a second coming of Pat, but I also think the program needs to adjust its expectations - consistent 20-win seasons + multiple Sweet Sixteens is pretty solid, especially now that she's in conference with Dawn, Kim, et al. And I think with the right assistant coaches, KJH could have kept the program as a top 10 contender. It'll be really interesting to see who they get, because I'm having a hard time envisioning who's available, interested, and would be fairly certain to do significantly better than her record over five seasons, other than Kara. - whose interest and availability is unknown.
She also helped to develop two players currently in the WNBA in Burrell and Horston. And in both situations, they could have opted to go with a different program because of the coaching change. It's a tough business, especially when the program has a legacy it wants to get back to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom