Tennessee, no great shakes against James Madisoin | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tennessee, no great shakes against James Madisoin

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Mizzou has lost two of it's top six players for the season due to injury. A tough break after a breakout season last year and the first pre-season ranking in decades. Mizzou had some depth and put some teams away in the fourth quarter last year. Not sure they'll be able to do that this season.
Frankly with their average recruiting season they really don't look like a top 25 team to me, and for the next 3 seasons.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Gwatney did not play in this game...if you read I said Hall. She was out all last year after being named Preseason Conf POY. She was named the same this year. I'm not dumb...I know their conference isn't the best. But they were/are a respectable team. And never have I said my team is the best, gloated or should be viewed in the same realm of UCONN, Baylor, TX, etc this year. All I said was our defense was bad and needed to improve and highlighted some of the improvements over last years 14 loss team. That's it.
Also let me say if you've read my previous posts, that I am not one of the Vol haters here. I am one of the Warlick "dislike-ers" however.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
Also let me say if you've read my previous posts, that I am not one of the Vol haters here. I am one of the Warlick "dislike-ers" however.

Lol...well there's a ton of those, including in our ranks! Looking forward to watching y'alls first game.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Mizzou has lost two of it's top six players for the season due to injury. A tough break after a breakout season last year and the first pre-season ranking in decades. Mizzou had some depth and put some teams away in the fourth quarter last year. Not sure they'll be able to do that this season.
Missouri did win the game.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Lol...well there's a ton of those, including in our ranks! Looking forward to watching y'alls first game.
I finally got to watch UT against JMU. About that 1 and 4 you spoke about. In essence they played this exclusively maybe about 25% of the time. Most of the time they either played the double post or they played this "sliding" type double post where after a few seconds of ball possession a forward would linger inside the arc then slide into the second position. However, even when they played a 1 and 4 their spacing was rarely good. The bottom line, a talented UT team struggled against a moderately talented JMU using essentially an antiquated offensive scheme.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is very early in the season so it is hard to really tell much - TN has a recent record of throwing in some early season clunkers and JMU may be just a continuation of that - we'll see. They have a talented team and have maintained the level of talent well since the end of Pat's reign and with the 2017 class signings that appears to be continuing. They have also had a fairly constant string of injuries which happens to most teams, but seems to have perhaps nicked the top of their talent more than 'average' in the women's game. All that said ...
I have not seen anything from Holly and her coaching staff that suggests to me that they are very good - it seems that for all her years in the profession and working with Pat, the extent of her take-away is 'Intensity and commitment' win games - listening to her, she just doesn't seem to have very good analytic skills. That may just be that she is not a good public speaker, but watching her teams play, and her own performance on the sideline with substitutions and game management doesn't contradict that impression. All of last year her team appeared to have no clue how to run offense against a zone, and it was never dealt with even after it led to some losses. That to me is an indictment not just of her, but of the whole coaching staff.

TN will win games and advance in the NCAA based on talent alone, but unless something freakish happens in the bracket, I will be surprised if their talent alone is sufficient to get them to a FF. By the second weekend of the NCAA the talent of the coaches and the teams remaining poses a real challenge for a team coached by Holly. And TN for the foreseeable future will still have enough cachet to attract top end talent which will likely keep Holly employed.

Reaction Score
It is very early in the season so it is hard to really tell much - TN has a recent record of throwing in some early season clunkers and JMU may be just a continuation of that - we'll see. They have a talented team and have maintained the level of talent well since the end of Pat's reign and with the 2017 class signings that appears to be continuing. They have also had a fairly constant string of injuries which happens to most teams, but seems to have perhaps nicked the top of their talent more than 'average' in the women's game. All that said ...
I have not seen anything from Holly and her coaching staff that suggests to me that they are very good - it seems that for all her years in the profession and working with Pat, the extent of her take-away is 'Intensity and commitment' win games - listening to her, she just doesn't seem to have very good analytic skills. That may just be that she is not a good public speaker, but watching her teams play, and her own performance on the sideline with substitutions and game management doesn't contradict that impression. All of last year her team appeared to have no clue how to run offense against a zone, and it was never dealt with even after it led to some losses. That to me is an indictment not just of her, but of the whole coaching staff.

TN will win games and advance in the NCAA based on talent alone, but unless something freakish happens in the bracket, I will be surprised if their talent alone is sufficient to get them to a FF. By the second weekend of the NCAA the talent of the coaches and the teams remaining poses a real challenge for a team coached by Holly. And TN for the foreseeable future will still have enough cachet to attract top end talent which will likely keep Holly employed.

And who are we to argue?:)

JordyG

Reaction Score

My problem with the double post or the "sliding" double post they used against JMU is UT's predictability makes it much more difficult to beat these long armed ladies that play the 2/3. The effective ways to beat that zone: flash to the high post, flood an area, skip passes, quick passes around the perimeter etc., are difficult to effect if two of your forwards are anchored. It puts a lot of pressure on your guards to do too much. Of course your point totals are going to be low, and games are going to be close. But this type of offense isn't merely Holly and crews bread and butter, it's all they know. Credit Dawn for thinking outside of the SEC box.

Reaction Score
Tennessee just beat Navy 85-55.

Good job STF!!!! Didn't see the game, but geez louise!!! 12-14 3 pt shooting, good rebounding , and 20 assists...... it is Navy, but a good show nonetheless.... hope for more of the same this season for u... Congrats....

Reaction Score
Tennessee just beat Navy 85-55.
It's hard to learn anything about Tenn from this game. Navy is ranked 240th in the nation and is now 0-2 having lost to 233 ranked Holy Cross. Navy has one player who is 6 feet tall and the remaining starters are all 5'8" or shorter.

Middleton put on a show with her accuracy and 3 point shooting. She's the star so far this year, Her best game ever. Russell had only 10 rebounds in a game where her height should have been a major factor. And so far, Diamond hasn't lived up to her pre season NPOY expectation.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It's hard to learn anything about Tenn from this game. Navy is ranked 240th in the nation and is now 0-2 having lost to 233 ranked Holy Cross. Navy has one player who is 6 feet tall and the remaining starters are all 5'8" or shorter.

Middleton put on a show with her accuracy and 3 point shooting. She's the star so far this year, Her best game ever. Russell had only 10 rebounds in a game where her height should have been a major factor. And so far, Diamond hasn't lived up to her pre season NPOY expectation.

Tennessee looked sluggish the entire first half and didn't get any separation until the 3rd quarter. Russell was almost a foot taller than any of the opposing players on the floor. If I'm looking for signs that Tennessee has put its underachieving ways behind it, I didn't see them in this game against a team that last year went .500 in the Patriot League and finished #238 in the RPI.

But hey, don't tell that to Maria Cornelius, who will still say this is the toughest schedule in the country.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Good job STF!!!! Didn't see the game, but geez louise!!! 12-14 3 pt shooting, good rebounding , and 20 assists. it is Navy, but a good show nonetheless.... hope for more of the same this season for u... Congrats....
Thanks. The JMU win was a quality win. This game went as expected. How about Middleton so far this year. I can tell one difference from last year. Is the outside shooting has been much better so far. That should give Russell a little more room inside.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
nice to hear The LVs hung on to secure the win... we need the BIG DOGS to continue being the BIG DOGS and battle it out in March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom