Tennessee: and, the numbers don't lie | The Boneyard

Tennessee: and, the numbers don't lie

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
1579837896185.png

Great comeback, while shooting very poorly. Griffin will get serious minutes off the bench from now on; what an athlete and what a lift she gave the team. I expect to still see Irwin for the first 3 or 4 minutes in games as it lets the team settle down.

Reaction Score
View attachment 50184

Great comeback, while shooting very poorly. Griffin will get serious minutes off the bench from now on; what an athlete and what a lift she gave the team. I expect to still see Irwin for the first 3 or 4 minutes in games as it lets the team settle down.
Why settle down when you can explode out of the gate??

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Why settle down when you can explode out of the gate??
What are you doing?...Poor Mick was completely accosted by the BY faithful after posting this observation a couple of games ago! Don’t take the bait @Big Mick go easy there big fellow...stay the course. ;)

Reaction Score
Geno said at halftime he told CD that they’ve gotta get Aubrey ready for the tournament, they’re going to need her then. Expect a lot more minutes from here on out...

Reaction Score
It bothers me; Geno did not see what Griffin could do after months of practice??
Or it takes months of practice for a freshman to be ready to play. She was wonderful and Geno knew exactly how and when to use her. What is irresponsible is to throw a young player into a game too soon and destroy their confidence. And Aubrey is still learning. I think Geno knows exactly what he has in Aubrey. She came out for the last few minutes because the game was at a point where a different style of play was required. I mean the man has coached over a 1000 wins and developed dozens of great players. There’s a chance he knows what he’s doing.

Reaction Score
Or it takes months of practice for a freshman to be ready to play. She was wonderful and Geno knew exactly how and when to use her. What is irresponsible is to throw a young player into a game too soon and destroy their confidence. And Aubrey is still learning. I think Geno knows exactly what he has in Aubrey. She came out for the last few minutes because the game was at a point where a different style of play was required. I mean the man has coached over a 1000 wins and developed dozens of great players. There’s a chance he knows what he’s doing.
Even when I think he’s (Geno) made a mistake I don’t say it out loud.

Reaction Score
It bothers me; Geno did not see what Griffin could do after months of practice??

Just guessing the staff knew from the first week of practice what AG could do, as well as what she wasn’t capable of doing at this early stage of her career. A lot of posters have stated that the other team only had to guard 4 players with our starting lineup, and with AG in the lineup they still have to only guard 4, at least outside the lane area. In no way does this diminish what AG brought to the game- energy, enthusiasm, athleticism, and a relentless rebounder. The Lady Vols left her defender in the lane, baiting her to fire from the perimeter. The 2 reasons, at least in my opinion, that caused that strategy to blow up in their face was that when she set screens they couldn’t hedge, help, or switch, and when the shot went up she got a running start to the boards with no one near to get a body into her. Trying to block out a player with AG’s athleticism and motor who has a head of steam built up is nearly impossible, and she came from a long ways out on the floor to get several boards. As her game develops, if she adds a solid perimeter threat to her offensive arsenal, she will be an almost impossible matchup. JMO

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
As an example of what happens when a very athletically gifted player gets too many minutes before she knows what she is doing at the college level, please see "Horston, Jordan". Tonight, she had 4 points and 6 turnovers (but to her credit she did have 5 rebounds and 4 assists). The comments on VolNation included the observation that she has (as I recall) 81 turnovers in 18 games (that's just her individually, not the team).

If Aubrey had gone to Tennessee, that could have been her. If Jordan had come to UConn, she probably would have had a much more productive game with many fewer minutes than she actually had. At the beginning of the season, Kyla probably would have played ahead of Horston, just as she actually did play ahead of Aubrey.

But Big Mick would have been telling us that Horston should have been getting 30 minutes a game, so she could commit 80+ turnovers by the middle of the season.

Reaction Score
Geno said at halftime he told CD that they’ve gotta get Aubrey ready for the tournament, they’re going to need her then. Expect a lot more minutes from here on out...
Aubrey needs the pull-up jumper which she had in high school..

Reaction Score
Just guessing the staff knew from the first week of practice what AG could do, as well as what she wasn’t capable of doing at this early stage of her career. A lot of posters have stated that the other team only had to guard 4 players with our starting lineup, and with AG in the lineup they still have to only guard 4, at least outside the lane area. In no way does this diminish what AG brought to the game- energy, enthusiasm, athleticism, and a relentless rebounder. The Lady Vols left her defender in the lane, baiting her to fire from the perimeter. The 2 reasons, at least in my opinion, that caused that strategy to blow up in their face was that when she set screens they couldn’t hedge, help, or switch, and when the shot went up she got a running start to the boards with no one near to get a body into her. Trying to block out a player with AG’s athleticism and motor who has a head of steam built up is nearly impossible, and she came from a long ways out on the floor to get several boards. As her game develops, if she adds a solid perimeter threat to her offensive arsenal, she will be an almost impossible matchup. JMO
Aubrey doesn’t deserve that 4 on 5 crap. Gabby couldn’t shoot from the outside either. NO ONE ever suggested that UConn was playing 4 on 5 when she was on the floor.

Reaction Score
Aubrey doesn’t deserve that 4 on 5 crap. Gabby couldn’t shoot from the outside either. NO ONE ever suggested that UConn was playing 4 on 5 when she was on the floor.

I didn’t post that it was 4 on 5, I posted that Tennessee only guarded 4 outside the lane area, which really didn’t change much whether it was AG or ONO in the lineup. Maybe you saw the defensive game plan the Lady Vols employed differently, which is fine, but if you are implying that my post was in any way putting “crap” on AG’s performance, you are mistaken. I meant it to be very complimentary, and only posted what I saw from a BB standpoint. Teams were forced to guard Gabby as her perimeter game progressed, and I’m guessing the same will happen with AG, since it’s obvious she wants to play and improve.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I do not know for sure what other posters said about Aubrey and "that 4 on 5 crap". But I suspect that at least some of that argument could have centered around her play in some games. She is a remarkable athlete and an enthusiastic player. In games like last night, against teams that are also athletic and play an uptempo style of ball, Aubrey thrives. She is quick and fast and can interrupt the flow of an opponents fast offense. She gives us fast break opportunities when poor passing , undisciplined offenses try to "run" UConn to death. But in games where half court offense is the best approach it is not her lack of shooting prowess that matters most. It is ,IMO, that she just does not yet know how to execute the offensive flow that Geno desires to have. I am not arguing against her, and I firmly believe that she will learn how to cut, and set picks, and create space. But if she has a weakness now, I feel that is it. Surely she will get better and better and earn her time on the floor. She was a wonderful player last night for sure.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Even when I think he’s (Geno) made a mistake I don’t say it out loud.

I have no problem speaking up when I think Geno makes a mistake, but last night was brilliant coaching. They beat a ranked team by double digits on a night when their two best players shot 9-35, making great halftime adjustments. The two freshmen were tremendous, but my personal favorite performance was ONO, responding to spending time on the bench by coming in and being an absolute game changer on both ends. I'm often a glass half empty gut, but my glass is completely full on this one, because Megan and Crystal will make shots most nights.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
He’s okay, I guess.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Speaking of Aubrey, Geno said, "What can she do? She can screen and rebound and they weren't guarding her. Which meant that when she set a screen there was no one to switch and we got open shots. So we told her, 'Set screens and go get rebounds.' And that is what she did."

Aubrey had a great game. She made play after play. But she is still limited in the ways you can use her. Last night was a perfect storm for Aubrey and she came through.

It would be unwise to think she is a prime time player right now. She will still have those 'deer in the headlights' moments. She isn't at the place where the coaches can trust her completely YET. From Geno's comment to CD, he thinks she can be ready for the tournaments in 5-6 weeks.

I think that the next few games we will see Geno stay with his current pattern; Kyla starts, Anna first off the bench. By March 1 a change will be complete; Anna starts, Aubrey is first of the bench, and Kyla will be used to give Liv and Meg a breather.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
When Gabby was a starter she developed a foul line jumper, had actually pretty good form, never got it out to the 3 point line, that would have opened the floor, more.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Somehow our program managed with Kelly Faris, rarely a scoring threat. But she did play with loaded teams.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
...... Big Mick would have been telling us that Horston should have been getting 30 minutes a game, so she could commit 80+ turnovers by the middle of the season.

And here I thought that you know your basketball.

Griffin should have been getting 25+ minutes a game all along.
Mind boggling to only see 5 minutes vs Memphis and 4 minutes vs UCF, in recent games.

It's a miracle that she was still able to come in last night vs Tennessee, set an example by totally lifting the team and winning the game for us. Totally unafraid and a major, major player.

...Aubrey doesn’t deserve that 4 on 5 crap..

@Jordy - no one was saying it was 4 on 5 when Aubrey was in the game. It was about Irwin and her non existent offensive game.

Reaction Score
I think he saw what she could do but wasn't seeing it consistently enough to give her more minutes. Practice is everything to Geno, we saw that last year with Olivia.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
When Gabby was a starter she developed a foul line jumper, had actually pretty good form, never got it out to the 3 point line, that would have opened the floor, more.
Somehow our program managed with Kelly Faris, rarely a scoring threat. But she did play with loaded teams.
You also have to remember about Faris and GWilliams that they helped, tremendously, the offense operate. Faris ended up with 545 assists which put her in the top 10 all time for UCONN. Williams had 190/191 assists her Jr/Sr years, leading the team. So while neither one were great shooters, the offense certainly didn't suffer with them on the floor.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You also have to remember about Faris and GWilliams that they helped, tremendously, the offense operate. Faris ended up with 545 assists which put her in the top 10 all time for UCONN. Williams had 190/191 assists her Jr/Sr years, leading the team. So while neither one were great shooters, the offense certainly didn't suffer with them on the floor.
Yes, but the point is the need to be guarded . It looks like AG can’t be totally ignored even if she never becomes an assist machine. Just move without the ball and she can score. She’s not a horrible foul shooter, so I’d guess (hope) she’s capable of making jumpers once she settles down.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And here I thought that you know your basketball.

Griffin should have been getting 25+ minutes a game all along.
Mind boggling to only see 5 minutes vs Memphis and 4 minutes vs UCF, in recent games.
Not mind boggling if you know basketball and Griffin. Memphis/UCF games where very different from the Evil game. Griffin's skill set (at this point), athleticism, chaos, disruption, were perfect for the Evil game. The Memphis/UCF games needed players who could run a half court offense. Not her skill set, yet. I think she'll get there though. Just give her some more time. Running and jumping are different then thinking and precision execution.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom