Tenn UConn Reboot | The Boneyard

Tenn UConn Reboot

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
History:

Future??

What To Expect From ESPN's 'Pat Vs. Geno'

"ESPN's new documentary series, “Basketball: A Love Story,” includes a 25-minute segment on the relationship between Pat Summitt and Geno Auriemma and the Tennessee- UConn rivalry.
The segment, titled “Pat vs. Geno,” touches on the Auriemma’s early years at UConn, his relationship with Jim Calhoun and how the UConn-Tennessee rivalry came to be. It ends with a tribute to Summitt, who died in 2016."
“There was nobody in the women’s basketball world that was ever going to think of Connecticut like they thought of Tennessee ever, ever, ever, and we were pissed about that,” Aurriema said when recalling the first national championship.

UConn defeated Tennessee in their first meeting, and then again later that season for the national title. After a few more years of beating Tennessee and continuing to solidify their reputation, UConn was making a name for itself.

“I think they realized we weren’t going away, and that didn’t go over well with them,” Auriemma said.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So, with that in play, wander over to ESPNland and :

Book excerpt: "Basketball: A Love Story" chapter details Pat vs. Geno, icons divided

"Phil says, "I really want to coach men." In that instant, Geno walks in. He's in short shorts, an Italian T-shirt, high socks with three stripes. He had been teaching basketball outside all summer. He's got these beautiful blue eyes and this brown hair that's getting a little bit of blond streaks in it, and Phil, in typical Philadelphia fashion, goes, "Yo, Geno, you wanna coach at the University of Virginia?" And Geno says, "I don't know. Let me call [my wife] Kathy." He ends up going to Virginia for $10,000. And, as they say, the rest is history."

Diana Taurasi: We can go 22-0, and you don't feel good. We watch film, we've just beaten Virginia Tech by 40, and it's, "You missed that block-out." Or "Diana, you can't keep anyone in front of you." I'm like, "C'mon, it's just one play." But to Coach, one play is everything."

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
When UConn makes the trip to Knoxville, in a couple of years, will Geno be staying in this suite?
They're Playing Basketball: The Tennesseean Hotel opens Pat Summitt Suite to benefit iconic coach’s foundation
Patsuite1.jpeg

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
History:

Future??

What To Expect From ESPN's 'Pat Vs. Geno'

"ESPN's new documentary series, “Basketball: A Love Story,” includes a 25-minute segment on the relationship between Pat Summitt and Geno Auriemma and the Tennessee- UConn rivalry.
The segment, titled “Pat vs. Geno,” touches on the Auriemma’s early years at UConn, his relationship with Jim Calhoun and how the UConn-Tennessee rivalry came to be. It ends with a tribute to Summitt, who died in 2016."

“There was nobody in the women’s basketball world that was ever going to think of Connecticut like they thought of Tennessee ever, ever, ever, and we were pissed about that,” Aurriema said when recalling the first national championship.

UConn defeated Tennessee in their first meeting, and then again later that season for the national title. After a few more years of beating Tennessee and continuing to solidify their reputation, UConn was making a name for itself.

“I think they realized we weren’t going away, and that didn’t go over well with them,” Auriemma said.

History--HIS story! Always depends upon who is writing it.

In the first few paragraphs a misconception of what happened before Calhoun and Geno--there was basketball in Storrs. Really good basketball and attended to the extent the field house would accept.

Jim Calhoun, for better or worse, put Uconn Men's basketball on the National map. Geno had much less to work with and there was no belief in what women's basketball could become by many who followed the Men's game.

I enjoyed most of the article. I don't buy into Geno's prostestations he and Uconn respected Tenn and Pat after the Tenn Tattling incident. If that were the belief why did he until only currently accept to play the "Evil Empire" again. I thought that more of a: Let sleeping dogs lie.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
History--HIS story! Always depends upon who is writing it.

In the first few paragraphs a misconception of what happened before Calhoun and Geno--there was basketball in Storrs. Really good basketball and attended to the extent the field house would accept.

Jim Calhoun, for better or worse, put Uconn Men's basketball on the National map. Geno had much less to work with and there was no belief in what women's basketball could become by many who followed the Men's game.

I enjoyed most of the article. I don't buy into Geno's prostestations he and Uconn respected Tenn and Pat after the Tenn Tattling incident. If that were the belief why did he until only currently accept to play the "Evil Empire" again. I thought that more of a: Let sleeping dogs lie.

Pat is Jim:

Geno took the high ground and never left it. Also like that old song about OK, you're the winner.

Reaction Score
Pat is Jim:

Geno took the high ground and never left it. Also like that old song about OK, you're the winner.

Relatives have always said: "Don't speak ill of the dead". Of course they were more superstitious than you are I would assume. Geno rarely named Pat in his anti-Tenn rants but he was not very fond of them. Here on the BY until the recent announcements, if a poll were taken, it seems evident that Tenn would not be on their schedule.

Reaction Score
IMO this is reason #1 why the reboot won't work the way those who pushed for it hope it will work- at least 50% of the rivalry was Geno vs. Pat. Sadly Pat is no longer with us and Holly Warlick isn't Pat Summitt by any stretch of the imagination. She simply does not inspire the response (good & bad) that Pat did with Geno, UConn and UConn fans.

By all means honor Pat's memory with a UConn/Tennessee game that benefits her foundation. But people need to stop fooling themselves that this is the rebirth of that rivalry. It simply cannot be done.

Reaction Score
IMO this is reason #1 why the reboot won't work the way those who pushed for it hope it will work- at least 50% of the rivalry was Geno vs. Pat.

By all means honor Pat's memory with a UConn/Tennessee game that benefits her foundation. But people need to stop fooling themselves that this is the rebirth of that rivalry. It simply cannot be done.
Nope, but beating them by 70 would still feel pretty good

Reaction Score
IMO this is reason #1 why the reboot won't work the way those who pushed for it hope it will work- at least 50% of the rivalry was Geno vs. Pat. Sadly Pat is no longer with us and Holly Warlick isn't Pat Summitt by any stretch of the imagination. She simply does not inspire the response (good & bad) that Pat did with Geno, UConn and UConn fans.

I like the way you say it! Whether it will work or not I have no thoughts on that. But the certainty of Geno Vs a tough minded, determined, relentless, hard playing tactitian isn't in Holly's jeans. (take that any way you want to). Holly has not shown to be one tenth the coach Pat was nor have I illusions that she will ever become Pat.
The knock heads, verbal jabs, the Southern Bell against the the Philly tough Yankee is gone.
For the foreseeable future Geno shall rule that roost. The closest the GAME comes to having that back and forth, talent vs talent, coaching vs coaching is with ND's Muffet and it still doesn't get my blood churning as the Pat/Geno games once did.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Welllllll, there is one way that the rivalry could be reborn. Consider if you will, what would happen if UT actually won a game of the 2 game series, what that would do to each fan base (shudder). Vol Nation would be dancing on the ceiling and the Boneyard would be on suicide watch. That would be right out of the twilight zone.
Before you guys burn me in effigy or reality, it was a nightmare for me to even imagine such a scenario. Does anyone know a good therapist? :(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom