Tenn-Miami -- great start! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tenn-Miami -- great start!

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
TN returns everyone and added Ariel. They SHOULD be good, finally. It shouldn't take 3 yrs for their level of talent to gel. Interested to see what happens vs. BU and Stanford.

This is true, but when you don't have a PG, it's damn tough to gel.

Ariel will be a real boon for them. Unfortunately for TN, I don't see a freshman PG leading them to a NC. Not a knock on TN, just the state of things. In March, freshman PGs rarely get it done. It really hurt both UConn and Baylor last year to be starting a freshman at the point.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
During those stretches, Ariel was on the bench in foul trouble. First half, she only played 6 minutes. She will need to be available for big minutes. Last night, she hit the wall and Meighan was able to close out the game, but the reality is that the team just runs better when Ariel is on the court.

This remains the real problem for TN, imo. Not so much foul trouble, but that you are dealing with a freshman PG. As I said above: "Ariel will be a real boon for them. Unfortunately for TN, I don't see a freshman PG leading them to a NC. Not a knock on TN, just the state of things. In March, freshman PGs rarely get it done. It really hurt both UConn and Baylor last year to be starting a freshman at the point."

I'm trying to think of a freshman PG in the last 25 years or so that has lead a team to a NC. There must be at least one, but I can't think of any.

I've no doubt TN will win a lot of games, and be in the hunt come the NCAAs, but it will be difficult to get over the hump with a frosh at the point.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I'm trying to think of a freshman PG in the last 25 years or so that has lead a team to a NC. There must be at least one, but I can't think of any.
Kristi Tolliver?

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
This remains the real problem for TN, imo. Not so much foul trouble, but that you are dealing with a freshman PG. As I said above: "Ariel will be a real boon for them. Unfortunately for TN, I don't see a freshman PG leading them to a NC. Not a knock on TN, just the state of things. In March, freshman PGs rarely get it done. It really hurt both UConn and Baylor last year to be starting a freshman at the point."

I've no doubt TN will win a lot of games, and be in the hunt come the NCAAs, but it will be difficult to get over the hump with a frosh at the point.

Toliver at Maryland in 2006

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
This was type game I expected. I think Miami is good. Tennessee has more speed and athletic ability. Now a true pg to run the show. Spani has looked real good.

Hey, your avatar got me thinking - what is the latest on Catch? Did she decide to get surgery on the foot in the off-season or is she going to try and just let it heal up? I seem to remember it was a pretty bad tear, so I would guess surgery once the playoffs were over, but I don't remember anything more after that.

And yes, Spani looked good - but Glory was possessed

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
We still won more titles during that span than Stanford, and while yes making the final four is great, and Tennessee's lack of presence in them recently is something defining this senior class, I don't think it means one team is better than the other. We beat y'all 2 of those 3 years we were home.

I love it - a little back-and-forth between Stanford and UT fans on the Boneyard - Just gimme some popcorn ;)

0653_homer-eating-popcorn-small-c78.jpg

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Toliver at Maryland in 2006

Yep good call guys. I'd also say that that particular tournament lined up for Maryland. They got the right draw, got hot at the right time, and then the right opponents lost before having to play them. I'm thinking particularly about TN and LSU. Both teams would have beat Maryland that year. MD caught lightening in a bottle.

Anyhow, it is a rare occurrence indeed.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
If memory serves Tolliver hit a 3 at the buzzer (against Duke?) to put the game into OT and Maryland went on to win.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
If memory serves Tolliver hit a 3 at the buzzer (against Duke?) to put the game into OT and Maryland went on to win.

Yep. That was one incredible game. She hit a falling/drifting 3-ball near the right baseline at the end of reg.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Hey, your avatar got me thinking - what is the latest on Catch? Did she decide to get surgery on the foot in the off-season or is she going to try and just let it heal up? I seem to remember it was a pretty bad tear, so I would guess surgery once the playoffs were over, but I don't remember anything more after that.

And yes, Spani looked good - but Glory was possessed
I haven't heard about Catchings. I hope she does the best thing for her.

Reaction Score
To be honest, I never thought of Bobbitt as a true point guard. She was short, could pass, and could shoot when open (especially the corner three), but she was not a true playmaker from the position. She couldn't run an effective pick and roll (in part because of her size). And she struggled with bigger, quicker guards. When Duke went to Knoxville in 2007, Harding ate Bobbitt alive, so they switched her to Abby Waner, who also scored at will over and around her. TN ended up using a lineup of Hornbuckle and Spencer as the default backcourt to combat Duke's guard strength. Bobbitt had the luxury of playing with Parker, who could create for herself but also could create for others because of the amount of attention she demanded. Bobbitt also had the benefit of playing with Anosike who, in college, was a very good passer for a post player.

Massengale is a true playmaker, something Tennessee has not had for a very long time.

excellent post

Reaction Score
We still won more titles during that span than Stanford, and while yes making the final four is great, and Tennessee's lack of presence in them recently is something defining this senior class, I don't think it means one team is better than the other. We beat y'all 2 of those 3 years we were home.

gee, I wonder why?.....

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score

gee, I wonder why?.....
The same reason Stanford beats good teams at home. Always nice to have the home court advantage with the fans and the refs.

Reaction Score
Also, I don't know how big her scoring or minutes were, but Marion Jones for NC in '94(?).

Marion Jones played significant minutes in 1994 and was a very good point guard. IIRC, it was Jones who inbounded the pass to Charlotte Smith that Smith drained for the winner against Lousiana Tech in the national championship game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom