Ten Steps To Next Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ten Steps To Next Year

Reaction Score
Presumably there were NBA scouts at the game last night. Relatively safe to assume that UConn via KO or others can provide the NBA scouts feedback to Messrs Adams & Larrier. I am not one of those NBA scouts, but abundantly obvious that UConn didn't have an NBA level player out there.

Reaction Score
Jalen and Terry are gone after this year.
To where exactly? The G League? I think it's laughable that it's a foregone conclusion that both are surefire NBA players next year. Larrier was on a lot of NBA front office radars last season but as he gets more exposed, that may not be the case anymore. Jalen is a combo guard right now and doesn't possess great size for the NBA if he's not a true PG. No disrespect towards either but I wouldn't be surprised if one or the other is back next year.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
To where exactly? The G League? I think it's laughable that it's a foregone conclusion that both are surefire NBA players next year. Larrier was on a lot of NBA front office radars last season but as he gets more exposed, that may not be the case anymore. Jalen is a combo guard right now and doesn't possess great size for the NBA if he's not a true PG. No disrespect towards either but I wouldn't be surprised if one or the other is back next year.
There is a big difference between saying Jalen/Terry are surefire NBA players next year, and saying that they don't want to come back next year and would rather cash in on their ability, whether that be in Myanmar or the G league or the end of an NBA roster. I don't think anyone has made the argument that they are surefire NBA players next year(?)

DeAndre Daniels was not an NBA player when he left UConn, but that didn't stop him from leaving.

Also, not to put too much stock in social media, but Larrier did post on IG, right before the season, a picture of his jersey with the caption "Last go at it". Or something like that.

But yes, from here until April it's all speculation.

Reaction Score
Neither are NBA players but I would be pretty damn surprised if either is back next year.

Reaction Score

I think anyone suggesting that they're going is figuring they go to Europe. Larrier especially doesn't figure to have any chance at the NBA, why not start making money a year earlier?

Reaction Score
I think anyone suggesting that they're going is figuring they go to Europe. Larrier especially doesn't figure to have any chance at the NBA, why not start making money a year earlier?
I think that's a rhetorical question and you don't want the answer, but obviously the reason is making the NBA is > 2 years of Europe ball. Europe is gotta be like 99% a black hole for American players going there without being drafted or playing in league and then coming back to play in NBA.

So reasoning is that if your dream is to make the NBA and you KNOW your chances of getting drafted are slim to none you keep pursuing your dream. I'm not saying that's going to happen or should happen, and nobody saying he's gone knows either (despite the false certainty of the 'he's gone', 'I'd be shocked' etc. posts). But that's the basic reason to stay.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

Not only that, but the specter of not getting drafted doesnt seem to really matter these days to kids when they make the jump. That is 1990's thinking when someone says "hes not NBA ready" . Kids used to take that advice much of the time. in todays day and age they seldom if ever do. We have dozens of examples every year.

Reaction Score
I think that's a rhetorical question and you don't want the answer, but obviously the reason is making the NBA is > 2 years of Europe ball. Europe is gotta be like 99% a black hole for American players going there without being drafted or playing in league and then coming back to play in NBA.

So reasoning is that if your dream is to make the NBA and you KNOW your chances of getting drafted are slim to none you keep pursuing your dream. I'm not saying that's going to happen or should happen, and nobody saying he's gone knows either (despite the false certainty of the 'he's gone', 'I'd be shocked' etc. posts). But that's the basic reason to stay.

There's no need to mention Larrier and the NBA together. It's not like these guys don't get feedback and know where their likely future lies.

Also there's no need to act like getting paid to travel around Europe and hoop is a bad thing.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I like how the thread about who we could get as our next coach gets deleted but garbage like this is allowed to exist. Some serious agenda pushing here.

Try reading the board before posting. There are endless discussions about who may replace Ollie if Ollie leaves. There is no need for another.

Reaction Score
If Adams and Larrier leave without being drafted, that may be the final nail in the coffin in terms of KO's ability to attract elite recruits.

He's gotten one 1st-round pick in 6 years.

Reaction Score
There's no need to mention Larrier and the NBA together. It's not like these guys don't get feedback and know where their likely future lies.

Also there's no need to act like getting paid to travel around Europe and hoop is a bad thing.
Somewhat agree, except that to most college players 'Europe' isn't even a safety school. If its so attractive why don't any high school kids go to Europe? There are plenty of stories with paycheck issues, and the transition of being so far from friends and family & language issues can be daunting, difficult and flat out untenable for some. I'd take it in a heartbeat, but lots simply don't like it.

Do you think Devendorf and McNamara ended up on the Syracuse bench b/c they loved overseas basketball and made a fortune?
Read links, these don't sound like stable European careers, both quit numerous teams and kept trying to chase that NBA dream even if it meant less money. Ukraine doesn't sound good to me at all, likewise Israel might be a tense gig, good luck in Venezueal, but big thumbs up on Australia & New Zealand. Bottom line is they all want the NBA most of all which is why they are in college in the first place, name AMERICAN* kid EVER saying he was ending his college career early to go play in Europe?

Gerry McNamara - Wikipedia
Eric Devendorf - Wikipedia
* Thought of Nadav Henefeld after I first posted this, duh!

Reaction Score

My buddy is friend's with a guy who played about 10 minutes for St. John's, he finished playing ball in China 5 or 6 years ago and is still living pretty damn well off the money.

Reaction Score
My buddy is friend's with a guy who played about 10 minutes for St. John's, he finished playing ball in China 5 or 6 years ago and is still living pretty damn well off the money.
That's like telling a Harvard MBA that he'll be happy managing Dunder Mifflin b/c the guy with the associate degree from University of Scranton just bought a duplex.

Reaction Score
That's like telling a Harvard MBA that he'll be happy managing Dunder Mifflin b/c the guy with the associate degree from University of Scranton just bought a duplex.
Weird analogy. You don't make cr@p playing in the G league. Larrier is not an NBA player and Jalen probably has the ability to play at that level but he needs to improve upon a lot of things. Making over $500K as a 23 year old is pretty damn enticing.

Reaction Score
Weird analogy. You don't make cr@p playing in the G league. Larrier is not an NBA player and Jalen probably has the ability to play at that level but he needs to improve upon a lot of things. Making over $500K as a 23 year old is pretty damn enticing.

And I'm sure people are going to tell Larrier what his prospects in the league might be and how close/far he is at his age. Really hard to imagine him doing anything that would dramatically improve his NBA chances if he were to come back next year.

Reaction Score
Whatever, I overstated Scranton for a joke, take the Harvard MBA to Canada as a well paid middle manager if you want to quibble. Point is they both THINK they are NBA players and (at least Jalen) they have been on draft boards - so there is an expectation. They likely believe this strongly enough to be in denial which IS PART OF WHY PEOPLE THINK/CLAIM/SAY THEY ARE GONE.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I know you were trying to, but the only comedy you're capable of is of the unintentional variety. This post here is a good example.
Are you even old enough to drive or vote?

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Jalen and Terry are gone after this year.
Honestly.....where. Lets speak regarding today, this moment .Not the future. Are they going to quit? Apply for overseas? Who knows what might happen starting the next game. Maybe a complete turn around? Start kicking butt? Everyone has their opinion. Mine, they are not going anywhere......as of right now.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Pro whether you think he is ready or not is besides the point. He is gone, will end up in the G league or overseas but he aint coming back.
It makes sense.

Reaction Score
I wish Jalen and Terry all the best and I want them to make the NBA or play professionally elsewhere, but not sure I can recall a team starting 2 future pros needing OT at home to beat Columbia and Monmouth.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom