Ten games in, how far along is this team? | The Boneyard

Ten games in, how far along is this team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Perhaps the better phrasing would be, "how far along is this team in relation to your preseason expectations", but nonetheless, ten games in, and on the cusp of conference play, is a good time to step back and grade the terrain.

A blind assessment of the numerical returns would leave most of us disappointed. Even accounting for the expected learning curve, we were favored to win three of our four losses, and the loss to Yale - even with a hobbled Boatright and an injured Purvis - drew cringes from even some of our more high-spirited posters. Two wins over Columbia and Central Connecticut State doesn't erase those prior missteps, but it does restore some level of optimism heading into conference play.

But regardless of your opinion, how the route we took to get here - with Purvis missing significant time, Boatright playing at 50% for a game or two, and Calhoun just recently suiting up - transmits conflicting signals of encouragement and reserve. It is easy to remain optimistic when the season is viewed in certain terms: we've played half the season without a couple of indispensable cogs, we're an extremely young team, and despite this, we're two last-second heaves away from sitting at 10-2 with a pretty stainless resume.

In addition, Ollie’s two teams since he was promoted to head coach have displayed demonstrable growth throughout the season, and the track record of UConn teams headlined by a veteran point guard remains very much impeccable.

On the contrary, it’s always difficult to gauge rate of development. What may appear to some as the turning of the corner could be just the pivot point of another frustrating series of inconsistent play. As the saying goes, progress isn’t always linear, especially in a sport where coaches are constantly scheming to expose any underlying flaws in your system. Our last two championship teams have taught us this better than any.
Personally, I think this team has the chance to be very good by the end of the season. For starters, our starting lineup has been intact for all of six games (I’m not counting the West Virginia and Yale games, when Purvis was visibly hobbled), and when they have shared the floor together they have generally pounded people. Keeping them on the floor at the same time against stiff competition will be a challenging task given Brimah’s propensity to pick up fouls, but I’d rather have that problem than have a starting lineup that’s not any good.

I, along with many others, have noted that this team could be fundamentally flawed if they continue to brick threes at their current rate. However, there is reason to believe that this early-season trend could be less debilitating than we previously feared. On the season, UConn has shot just 31% from three on 159 attempts, which on the surface is something that is extremely difficult to construct a good team around. But when you dig deeper, the numbers are more promising. Omit Sam Cassell’s 8 for 36 collage of bricks from the portfolio, and the season-long percentage climbs to a more respectable 34%. And the starting lineup has been more than adequate from downtown, posting a season-long percentage of 37%.

The point here isn’t to disparage Cassell – who I’m sure is a much better shooter than those numbers indicate – but rather to illustrate the likely uptick in shooting percentages as the rotation is condensed. If Rodney Purvis continues to shoot in the neighborhood of 40% from three and Omar Calhoun (just 1 of 8 so far) can convert at a 35% clip, this team should have enough shooting to scrap together an efficient offense that can attack in a variety of ways and bend defenses in ways that our previous teams could not.

The anatomy of UConn’s 2014-15 offense is much different than that of the prior two teams, but with additional repetitions, there is plenty of reason to believe this version can be equally effective. Boatright is obviously the best player on the offense, and as invaluable as any player in the country, but the complementary pieces are fascinating to monitor. Rodney Purvis and Daniel Hamilton aren’t natural pick-and-roll players at this stage (Purvis especially, who must expand his passing capabilities if he has visions of the NBA), but they’re far more potent in exploiting narrow driving lanes than some of our past wings, and Ollie has re-popularized the curl screens that are more designed to get the ball to the two of them in favorable spots on the floor than to generate immediate baskets.

Amida Brimah, meanwhile, is developing into the college version of Tyson Chandler (offensively), a pick-and-roll beast whose dives through the lane briefly paralyze the defense and allow for easy releases to shooters. This is also where, despite advanced statistics that would indicate otherwise, the advanced mid-range games of our guards – Boatright, Purvis, and Hamilton, all of whom are proficient at hitting pull-ups and runners in the lane – makes us hard to defend. If the hedge man plays it soft in fear of a lob, those three can make you pay. And if you swarm the guard, it’s tough for weak side defenders to impede the progress of Brimah until his head is above the rim. A lot of times Brimah isn’t even involved in the pick, but whenever his defender vacates his body to stop the ball, the end result is usually predictable.

upload_2014-12-30_3-45-51.png

On this play, Amida’s defender is obviously way too high defending a basic pick-and-roll between Brimah and Boatright. He’s at the foul line to stop Boatright’s dribble penetration, while Brimah is already crashing towards the left block. Facey’s presence as a non-shooter can occasionally muck up the spacing of this play, but it’s partially negated here by the screen he appears to be setting on the right wing. If Facey’s man ventures too far off, Cassell has a chance to get a wide open look in the right corner if executed properly. It also doesn’t hurt that this pick-and-roll is run in the middle of the floor, which can confuse defenders into blowing assignments (am I on the weak side or the strong side?). If the weak side defender crashes down on Brimah, Hamilton is open on the wing for a three. As it is, his man stays home, and Brimah completes the first of many dunks over an overwhelmed Coppin State defense. This is why shooting is so vital.

Adding length and athleticism to the equation obviously complicates matters, particularly when you’re a smaller point guard like Boatright. But this is the sort of snap shot that demonstrates the challenges UConn’s new, quick-moving offense presents to defenses. Offense, in essence, is about being able to draw rifts in defensive structure through pick-and-roll and then zipping the ball side-to-side until the gash opens up. Moving the ball from the strong side to the weak side in a timely manner is something that virtually all NBA teams can do but most college teams can’t (which is why many do not enjoy watching college basketball). Some of this is obviously due to talent disparity, but other coaches simply are not good at teaching it. We have one of the better ones on our side, which is why I’m incredibly excited to continue to monitor their growth.

Whereas statistics – where you should shoot the ball from on the court, where you shouldn’t – aren’t always entirely transparent, they’re usually a fairly good indicator of how a team is performing defensively. And a rough gauge of how good a team is on that end is generally fairly accomplishable by asking two questions: how many three pointers and how many layups have we given up? So far, the answer for UConn is too many.

How teams go about prohibiting threes and layups may vary, but being able to protect the rim is generally a prerequisite for success. If you’re looking to angle a pick-and-roll towards the side, which most teams do, you’re probably doing a good job of avoiding layups and threes. But that isn’t always attainable, which is why programs like UConn have always invited dribble penetration when a shot blocking menace like Thabeet was patrolling the paint. This is doubly beneficial, as it forces difficult shots at the rim and eliminates the three.

But UConn, despite ranking 26th in the country in defensive efficiency, hasn’t executed these principles very well so far this season, and much of their difficulty defending has less to do with pick-and-roll coverages than it does careless ball-watching, missed rotations, and lackadaisical closeouts. Fouling – another indicator of bad defense – has also plagued them, particularly when it is not necessary. There have been several instances where Brimah has a block timed perfectly only for there to have a foul negate it. One of the things some of our younger perimeter defenders will have to learn is that when you get beat off the dribble, instead of recovering back to your initial man, it is better to recover back to Brimah’s man or whoever else is the next rotation. A lot of mistakes can be erased if they are not compounded.

There is no reason this should not be a top ten unit by the end of the season. That they could hold the #1 offense in the country to below 40% from the field tells me that the physical abilities are there. Boatright is still as good defensively as any guard in the country when he’s locked in (like he was against Duke and Texas), but he has been guilty of falling asleep at the wheel against some of our lesser opponents. As a senior captain, he cannot allow that to happen (and yes, I am aware that he is carrying an enormous workload on both ends) if for no other reason than that the entire team feeds off his energy.

This team has flaws, but I’m growing increasingly confident that they are not of the alarming variety. For all of the griping about Brimah’s rebounding (and it is a problem, make no mistake), being afforded the luxury of pairing him with a superb rebounding four like Facey, in addition to Hamilton and Boatright, also excellent rebounders, increases his margin for error. Moreover, Brimah’s rapidly expanding offensive game enables us to live with Facey’s shortcomings in a way we probably wouldn’t have been able to if somebody like Olander was our starting center.

The AAC is bad, and we are good. In this respect, I don’t mind setting a lofty bar of 15 conference wins; Temple, SMU, Cincinnati, and maybe some combination of Tulane, Houston, Tulsa, and Memphis will give us stiff road tests, but running the table at home and batting .500 in tough road environments is an attainable goal. The talent gap between us and the rest of the conference is very wide. But fulfilling those goals will require better focus and more attention to detail than what we’ve seen so far. If everybody on the team fully commits themselves to mastering Ollie’s system with the same degree of veracity that last year’s team did, then I see the sky as the limit. It all starts Wednesday afternoon in Hartford against maybe our biggest challenger for the crown; I hope they are ready, because I know I will be.

Reaction Score
u needs to remove huskee style specs sometimes to go to the lite an leev darkside ware son dont shine

Reaction Score
We just didn't step on the neck in those two last second losses. Both games we had in our grasp. Napier somehow turned those into W's. Boat has been amazing but he did miss those free throws and was hobbled. WV was an early cluster- we weren't ready for and we played the #2 team solid despite off shooting. We were down on the '11 & '14 teams at this time too. We all knew going into this season it's a team with a lot of unknowns. But those unknowns are starting to pull together and appear to be positive possibilities. The potential and talent is there. Ollie will make this team click, because it appears the chemistry is there.

Reaction Score
I think we have about 1.5-2 seasons to go before we hit our stride. But I'd love to be wrong.
I do know that We Are DOOMED this season.

Reaction Score
Too early to tell. This team needs another month to evaluate. Even Boat is learning a new position/role.

Reaction Score
A bit below that what I expected, especially the painful loss to Yale. That said, it's a good team that lost most of it's leadership and 3 of their 4 tops scorers from last season's championship team. It is going to take time to find this year's leaders and for some players to step-up and provide offensive alternatives to Boat, even more so with the injuries that they have had. I am a bit surprised by their complete lack of 3 point shooters beside Boat, though. That said, Coach Ollie has my confidence and most of their issues should be fixed with experience. Just wish that UConn could have won one or two marquee games; but, they had to be early int eh season to cover-up a below average in-conference schedule with the AAC. In the glory days of the old Big E, that was never a problem because even if UConn dropped 3 or 4 major out-of-conference games, wins over Syracuse, G-Town, Louisville, etc. during conference play as makes-up for a lot in the RPI ratings.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I hate when people use Boat and Purvis's injury as justification to the Yale loss. Granted Yale is pretty decent, we should have faith that our backups can beat Yale. They can't. This essentially means our depth, as a whole, is not strong. This frightens me for the future.

But I can see this team running the table, especially if they never take possessions off or look ahead. 26-4 would probably put us in the Top 10, but I would not say this is a Top 10 team. Top 25, yes. This team has way too many flaws that cannot be fixed easily to be a Top 10 team. 3-pt shooting, lack of depth/scorers, no frontcourt scoring, etc. will cripple this team. We saw this vs. Duke and West Virginia. Good coaches now how to gameplan around our best strategies and exploit our weaknesses. We saw vs. WV that we have one dependable ball handler, and vs. Duke we saw that we have no ability to rebound the ball against anyone over 6'7".

These are not easy fixes. We're definitely good enough to run the table in the AAC. I see only physical teams that can shoot a bit and pressure giving us problems (Thank God Louisville isn't here). But this team will go down in March vs. a quality team. Boat and Purvis can't do it all.

Reaction Score
I hate when people use Boat and Purvis's injury as justification to the Yale loss. Granted Yale is pretty decent, we should have faith that our backups can beat Yale. They can't. This essentially means our depth, as a whole, is not strong. This frightens me for the future..

Totally different. You're asking people to step into roles that they weren't designed to do. Your leaders don't come through and there is confusion. Design a team around Samuel and Cassell from the get go without Boat/Purvis/Omar, results can be different. I'm not saying the loss was justified, I'm just saying TS & SC as a 4th & 5th back court option is not devastating. Granted they don't have great handle and shooting is off right now, I don't think that is a fair assessment.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Totally different. You're asking people to step into roles that they weren't designed to do. Your leaders don't come through and there is confusion. Design a team around Samuel and Cassell from the get go without Boat/Purvis/Omar, results can be different. I'm not saying the loss was justified, I'm just saying TS & SC as a 4th & 5th back court option is not devastating. Granted they don't have great handle and shooting is off right now, I don't think that is a fair assessment.
When you're best two players are not 100% and you lose to someone like Yale, your depth is an evident issue.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
When you're best two players are not 100% and you lose to someone like Yale, your depth is an evident issue.

I agree there is no good excuse for losing that game, but you also have to admit we didn't even have a complete bench at the time w/ Omar out. I think TSam has been playing better since that game also.

Reaction Score
We had injuries but now have Omar and Rodney and we had players learning to play together so I think we will know a lot more at 12 games in. We lose both games and the outlook is bleak but winning gives us a whole new view. I think we have talent and hopefully KO has instilled urgency if we want a chance at a March run.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
This team has way too many flaws that cannot be fixed easily to be a Top 10 team. 3-pt shooting, lack of depth/scorers, no frontcourt scoring, etc. will cripple this team. We saw this vs. Duke and West Virginia. Good coaches now how to gameplan around our best strategies and exploit our weaknesses. We saw vs. WV that we have one dependable ball handler, and vs. Duke we saw that we have no ability to rebound the ball against anyone over 6'7".

Why would the boat and purvis injuries not be a legitimate excuse for the Yale loss though CT? No matter what kind of depth you have on your club, if you lose the effectiveness of your senior all American point guard, you are going to suffer. Boat was a net negative in that game, he had 3 or 4 turnovers that lead to baskets in a scoring starved game. Yale is a borderline top 100 Kenpom team.

I though champs did a great job deconstructing the 3 point issues. We've generated a lot of clean looks at the basket this year, Purvis when healthy has shown an ability to knock down those looks an order of magnitude better than any other guy we can put at the 3. It's absolutely relevant that his play is picking up and his outside shooting is resembling the 38% from deep expectations he brought with him. The ability for the the wing opposite d ham to knock down open looks opens up the 3 man game on the opposite wing of boat, ham, and Brimah running the lane. It changes us completely.

Ball handling is definitely an issue after boat. We've had a young developing superstar guard at the backup point for a long, long time. While one isn't on the roster this year, I think T sam will fill the gap year while JA gets his feet wet.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Realistically this team is only 4-5 games in to the season.

That's how many games they've played with a full, healthy lineup.

Things are progressing nicely. Hamilton's ability to be a playmaker in the lane has been a huge key. This year's team isn't as good at shooting the 3 and scoring inside has to make up some of that slack. Hamilton's ability to catch and shoot or dribble and dish to either the inside or a kickout has been money.

Boat is showing leadership and running the team.

Calhoun and Samuel being able to rebound allows the team to play three guards.

I'm trending positive on this team across the board.

My only concerns are Cassell Jr. just being too slow to run the team effectively for any length of time. Boat needs another ball handler allowing him to rest for some possessions.

Ollie seems to be honing the rotation. No player can complain that they haven't had the chance to earn minutes. Thanks to injuries all these players have had the chance to show in games what the can do and how well they can transfer practice to game conditions.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
After seeing the first few games, I'll point out 3 things that are cemented in stone and 3 things that are unknowns.

1. Boat has brought it and I think has even exceeded lofty expectations.
2. Hamilton is for real and has hit the ground running as a freshman better than most.
3. Facey has shown serious talent. Rebounding for one and then a soft touch around the rim.

1. Can Brimah get his rebounding up to even a below average level? I think Phil is a lost cause on the boards but not Brimah.
2. Can we expect any perimeter scoring from Cassell or Calhoun? Need one to start hitting 3s to keep the defense honest.
3. Does Purvis continue to improve? We've seen flashes but he's not quite just there yet. Maybe in a few weeks he goes into the sure thing category.

Reaction Score
Rodney's shot has been gorgeous the past couple games. Still concerned with how flat footed he shoots but hey. Omar is hopefully coming around on his shot too. If they can be reliable shooters that's huge for our chances. If Amida can keep hitting long 2s that should open up the baseline for Facey and cutting guards. Our offense could be turning a corner. Back to back 80 pt games albeit against crap competition is not something we've seen a lot of lately.

Reaction Score
Right now this is the only thing that matters 10 games in:
David Borges @DaveBorges · 5m 5 minutes ago
UConn's only win over an RPI Top 25 is Dayton (No. 21).

David Borges @DaveBorges · 7m 7 minutes ago
Temple is ranked No. 41 in RPI -- best in the #AAC right now. #UConn is ranked 85th -- fifth in the AAC.

How is it even possible to be 85th in the RPI playing Duke, Texas, West Virginia, Dayton, and even solid mid majors Yale and Columbia?

This program has not had a great regular season since 2009. They better have one starting now with that RPI. They need wins and fast. Anything less than wins means it's AAC tournament or bust to make the NCAA's.

Reaction Score
at this same point last year didn't the team only have one top 25 RPI win against UF? But yea they just need to worry about winning, still having a haunting feeling those Boat free throws are really are going to loom large.

Reaction Score
at this same point last year didn't the team only have one top 25 RPI win against UF?

Yes, but the UF win got bigger as they kept on winning last year. Also, the conference was significantly stronger last year with UL in it and Cincy/Memphis fielding solid teams.

The question is, does this team have the ability to win one or both of the UF/Stanford games, and then make it through conference play with 3 or fewer losses? I think that's what it will take to get in.

It looks like a healthy Purvis may actually prove to be a serviceable shooter and second offensive option. If he does, I think we have a pretty good shot.

Reaction Score
How is it even possible to be 85th in the RPI playing Duke, Texas, West Virginia, Dayton, and even solid mid majors Yale and Columbia?

Tends to happen when you have 4 losses prior to the end of the calendar year . . .

Reaction Score

You're asking your backups to handle the grunt against their starters. Yale or not, in roles they're not meant or have practiced to play. The offense was still trying to be funneled through a hobbled Boat and that led to to's. How many play calls are meant for Terrence Samuel? Boat & Purvis combined for 6 pts and 5 to's. The team revolves around them doing more than that. Samuel and SC have designed roles that don't involve combining for 30 pts. Yes, Cassell's shooting is a current problem, but I really can't say that I wouldn't want Samuel and Cassell as my 4th and 5th string guard options, provided OC trends slightly upward. See Samuel in last year's tournament. If Cassell is making some of those 3's (which I'm sure he can do) the two of them are great assets off the bench. Star dribblers or not. But no Cassell should not be defending the opposition's star guard the whole game.

Reaction Score

Boat / Purvis / D-Ham were 6-23 with 14 pts and 7 to's. Samuel / Cassell / Omar* were 5-8 with 14 pts and 1 to. I fail to recognize how the onus of that loss falls on guard depth.

*DNP (in case you didn't notice)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This is, hands down, the dumbest thing people get mad about around here.

I don't think that's necessarily a complaint, as everyone would rather the NCAAT success, but more a statement of fact.

We were certainly top 25 type teams in 2011 and 2014, but 2009 and 2006 were dominant regular seasons.

Take 2014 and 2011 every day of the week, but 2006 and 2009 were bona-fide top 3 type teams all regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom