Ten former players who could coach their alma maters | The Boneyard

Ten former players who could coach their alma maters

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley listed here at #9. I can't see any reason why he would go from UConn to Seton Hall, except maybe if he doesn't do a great job at UConn, but stranger things have happened.

No. 9: Dan Hurley (Seton Hall)
Current position: Head coach at UConn

It may seem strange to be putting Hurley on this list so soon after he took over at UConn, but he deserves a place here. Hurley played collegiately at Seton Hall, and had such a "Hurley-like" coaching experience following his playing career, that it just seems right for him to eventually return to South Orange. It would be a mistake not to mention Hurley's dad, Bob Hurley, who was the coach at St. Anthony's in Jersey City, New Jersey, for 39 years, before the school closed in 2017. Dan Hurley became as assistant for his dad at St. Anthony's immediately upon graduating from Seton Hall, and served in that position for eleven seasons. After a brief stint as an assistant at Rutgers, Hurley took over the head coaching role at St. Benedict's Prep in Newark, New Jersey, where he served for nine seasons.

Hurley also was the head coach at Wagner and Rhode Island, before being hired at UConn in 2018. While Hurley has certainly seen success as a college coach, his roots -- and those of his family--are strongly ensconced in New Jersey. Plus, Hurley in the Big East just seems right. This one should probably be a bit higher on this list, but with Hurley just taking over at UConn, and current Seton Hall coach Kevin Willard, having such a good run of late, No. 9 seems right.

Won't he be coaching in the Big East with UConn anyway?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They must’ve had this article in the can for a while primed for the slow summer season. Fire the editor!

Reaction Score
I'll post this again since Hurley signed his contract last month:

So Hurley's buyout is 6 million through end of 2020, 4.5 through 2021, and 3.5 through 2022.

Enough said.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'll post this again since Hurley signed his contract last month:

So Hurley's buyout is 6 million through end of 2020, 4.5 through 2021, and 3.5 through 2022.

Enough said.

There is no way Seton Hall is (a) a more attractive destination for Hurley or (b) has the ability to pay him what UConn can.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
About 6-10 years from now? - Scott Burrell, Donyell Marshall, Shabazz Napier.

pj

Reaction Score
Shabazz I could see. After another 10 years in the NBA and assistant coaching experience.

Reaction Score
About 6-10 years from now? - Scott Burrell, Donyell Marshall, Shabazz Napier.

Really hoping to see good things out of Marshall the next few years. I'm ready for the next Ken Horton at Central sometime soon. He's got a big solid class coming in but the team will be young.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
An alum woefully unqualified for the job is a different matter.

only in boneyard land could a coach who won a Title in his second season be called "woefully unqualified" . LOLOLOL

and yes, I fully understand what he became. It wasnt anything good. But jesus, man.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom