Temple's Tyler Matakevich ... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Temple's Tyler Matakevich ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would like to set the record straight on Tyler's Uconn recruitment. As someone in the know. As a young teen Tyler had always wanted to play for Florida. He was hurt his senior year so he was not heavily recruited. He went to Milford Academy. Being healthy, he played well and started to get noticed.At the time , make no mistake he wanted to go Uconn After meeting with the family and two different coaches ,Tyler's family waited and waited for Uconn 's response. In the end they said in their opinion he was not a division I player. But he was welcome to be a walk on. Temple though different and offered Tyler a scholarship, so he took it. As good as a football player he is , he is even a better young man. Uconn missed the boat on this one.

Reaction Score
Tyler would have trouble breaking into our starting line up. He is not the most athletic guy. Temple is a much better defensive fit for him, he is a better match for their system.

Reaction Score
Palatine said:
Tyler would have trouble breaking into our starting line up. He is not the most athletic guy. Temple is a much better defensive fit for him, he is a better match for their system.

Um. He is one of the best linebackers in the nation. He would 100% start for this team.

Reaction Score
I would like to set the record straight on Tyler's Uconn recruitment. As someone in the know. As a young teen Tyler had always wanted to play for Florida. He was hurt his senior year so he was not heavily recruited. He went to Milford Academy. Being healthy, he played well and started to get noticed.At the time , make no mistake he wanted to go Uconn After meeting with the family and two different coaches ,Tyler's family waited and waited for Uconn 's response. In the end they said in their opinion he was not a division I player. But he was welcome to be a walk on. Temple though different and offered Tyler a scholarship, so he took it. As good as a football player he is , he is even a better young man. Uconn missed the boat on this one.

To help further clarify the record... Did he have the grades to qualify for admission to UConn (there has been much innuendo over the years on that piece). I'll respect it if you can't/don't want to respond.

pj

Reaction Score
To help further clarify the record... Did he have the grades to qualify for admission to UConn (there has been much innuendo over the years on that piece). I'll respect it if you can't/don't want to respond.

Recruited football players are judged on different academic standards than other applications. If the football coaches didn't offer him a scholarship, admissions probably never went through the process of evaluating whether he was qualified for admission as a football player. This was surely a coach's error.

Reaction Score
Recruited football players are judged on different academic standards than other applications. If the football coaches didn't offer him a scholarship, admissions probably never went through the process of evaluating whether he was qualified for admission as a football player. This was surely a coach's error.

I get your point (and don't necessarily disagree) but there is still a minimum threshold and coaches/recruiting staff know what it is...

Reaction Score
Well, Uconn offered admission to the school as a walk on. So they must have reviewed his academic records. Keep in mind., Tyler committed late so maybe Uconn had no scholarships available. But they definetly offered admission to him.

Reaction Score
Might as well pour salt back into the wound..

upload_2015-7-9_15-55-10.png

Reaction Score
He is a good player. We didn't recruit him. The reasons could range from we just missed to we thought someone else was better, to linebacker wasn't a high priority that year , to academics to 50 other reasons.

Reaction Score
We could not get kids in with scholarship that eventually ended up at Temple like Nixon, Dobbs, think the kid Robinson from Harrisburg, it just may have been the case here. Great career. I wonder how that OL is doing that de-committed and went to Temple a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And BTW - we still would have been 2-10 last year even if he was here, so really not sure what all of the fuss is about. Can he play QB?

Reaction Score
He is a good player. We didn't recruit him. The reasons could range from we just missed to we thought someone else was better, to linebacker wasn't a high priority that year , to academics to 50 other reasons.

I have friends on St. Joe's coaching staff. Trust me on this. UCONN (both Edsall and Pasqualoni) was alerted to TM's talent and they both showed little or no interest. St. Joe's staff knew how good he was and was extremely disappointed because he wanted to play for UCONN and they knew he was a special player. I agree with Husky Medic, let's not beat a dead horse but I just wanted to set the record straight. UCONN wiffed on this one!

Reaction Score
And I'm saying unless you know what went on in the recruiting meetings you don't know why they missed. Sometimes you recruit to fill needs and sometimes unless you have a 4 star fall in your lap you might pass on a kid. If Pasqualoni passed on a CT kid I have to think there was a reason. Kid turned out to be real good. Good for the kid but my point is that sometimes you pass on potential for good reason.

Reaction Score
And I'm saying unless you know what went on in the recruiting meetings you don't know why they missed. Sometimes you recruit to fill needs and sometimes unless you have a 4 star fall in your lap you might pass on a kid. If Pasqualoni passed on a CT kid I have to think there was a reason. Kid turned out to be real good. Good for the kid but my point is that sometimes you pass on potential for good reason.

Okay, I will try to make this simple. One of my former teammates from St. Joes's who coaches at St. Joe's said phone calls were not answered and the communications were very poor. They were basically screaming that TM was what he has turned out to be and it fell on deaf ears. They were really taken back by the lack of interest. It sounded like they were insulted that they didn't apprecate the St. Joe's staff's evaluation. So I could care less what the reason's they passed. Bottom line is they blew a great oppotunity. Tyler Matakevich is more than just a linebacker. He is a very rare breed of Leader and I wish he were a Husky!

Reaction Score
Confident Carl said:
Okay, I will try to make this simple. One of my former teammates from St. Joes's who coaches at St. Joe's said phone calls were not answered and the communications were very poor. They were basically screaming that TM was what he has turned out to be and it fell on deaf ears. They were really taken back by the lack of interest. It sounded like they were insulted that they didn't apprecate the St. Joe's staff's evaluation. So I could care less what the reason's they passed. Bottom line is they blew a great oppotunity. Tyler Matakevich is more than just a linebacker. He is a very rare breed of Leader and I wish he were a Husky!

And we still would have been 2-10 last year.

Reaction Score
And again Carl, he is a good player. And maybe we blew it but it is also possible that we weren't looking for linebackers that year. Edsall had a a linebacker, Fincher, from Norwood Mass who wanted BC but O'Brien passed because he was too raw. Ended up in the NFL. It happens. It isn't like the kid had offers from Texas, Florida and USC. Turned out he was better than people thought he would be. Boyle was supposed to solve our quarterback problems. He turned out worse than expected. It happens all the time for lots of reasons. Youare picking an 18 year old kid and projecting him at 21-22, away from home and all that. Some thrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom