Temple thoughts | The Boneyard

Temple thoughts

Reaction Score
  • Temple was outrageously on fire to start the game, made 10 of first 11 shots. Raining 3s despite being below average shooters and had big guys hitting midrange baseline jumpers.
    • We were aggressive on D as usual and bit on a couple too many shot fakes leading to slightly easier shots.
    • But we still contested pretty well, they just made the shots. On two occasions early on we contested so hard we fouled them, but they made the shots anyways.
  • We were down 6 when Jalen went down despite their hot start. Other than a couple turnovers, we were executing pretty well on offense.
    • Vital hit 2 big 3's early. Temple's D was pretty strong the first few possessions and our offense wasn't doing much and he bailed us out.
    • I think we were poised to go on a run if/when they cooled off.
    • We didn't know what to do when Jalen went out. Smith and BAdams weren't ready to run things. We didn't score for a few minutes and our misses/turnovers led to some easy baskets their way.
    • We got outscored by 20 in the 1st half after Adams got hurt.
  • We crushed them on the boards in the 2nd half.
    • I think I saw 30-6 margin? Some of it was them not trying due to the lead (and us missing some bunnies in rebounding position, Drummond-style), but Carlton, Cobb, and Wilson were playing volleyball.
      • Carlton's offensive rebounding is pretty underrated. He's a below the rim player, but still has a nose for tipping and can get position.
    • Cobb and Carlton both ate them alive in the paint scoring, too. Cobb had 2 nice drives in the 1st half and was our only offense after Jalen went out.
      • Of course, Cobb immediately basically tackled a guy on a hedge right after. The yin and yang of Cobb,
    • Overall, we won 2nd half by 8.
  • When Wilson's shot falls, it looks beautiful. When he misses, everything is rushed and out of balance and alignment.
    • He mostly missed tonight.
    • Also got stripped on several drives. Really needs to work on his handle.
  • Saw nothing from BAdams tonight, but with Gilbert still around and Gaffney signed, I'm going to be pretty patient with him.
    • Anything from him is bonus in future seasons. I'm not expecting him to morph into his brother, but his brother went from 32% shooting from 3 as a freshman to 44% as a senior.
  • Tough spot for Smith, but he was pretty terrible tonight.
  • Temple is good at forcing them and we were missing our top 2 PGs, but 8 live ball turnovers is a killer.
  • We tried out Carlton + Cobb in a 2/3 zone in 2nd half. Liked the experiment idea, we'll see if Hurley liked the results. Zone didn't look amazing to me and we can't play man to man with both on the floor without them both fouling out, so I doubt anything will come of it.
  • Vital looked pretty quick on a couple drives, his 3pt shot looks like it's going in every time now, and he had 13 boards. Can't ask for much more.
  • Whaley had a really good hustle sequence in the first half, but he only played 4 minutes. I didn't see him get killed on D to earn the rest of game hook, but I assume that must have happened.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Good analysis, and a detailed one at that. I appreciate that you were able to identify some positive aspects of an ugly game. I was only able to catch the last five minutes of the game, but looking at the highlights on Youtube, the Huskies were down 13-10 with 14:57 left in the first half and then you cut to 10:30 left in the half and the score is 27-10. Yikes.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Wasn't Brendan Adams touted as being a great shooter coming in? Temple just left him alone on the perimeter and he still couldn't come close to making a shot. That's concerning to me; not that a freshman isn't a great three-point shooter, but that someone whose greatest strength coming in was considered to be his deep range shooting and he can't even make wide open 3s.

Reaction Score
Wasn't Brendan Adams touted as being a great shooter coming in? Temple just left him alone on the perimeter and he still couldn't come close to making a shot. That's concerning to me; not that a freshman isn't a great three-point shooter, but that someone whose greatest strength coming in was considered to be his deep range shooting and he can't even make wide open 3s.
“CONFIDENCE”

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
@auror, you always have good analysis but this game can be summed up by the halftime score of 46-20. Everything else is lipstick on a pig.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
  • Temple was outrageously on fire to start the game, made 10 of first 11 shots. Raining 3s despite being below average shooters and had big guys hitting midrange baseline jumpers.
    • We were aggressive on D as usual and bit on a couple too many shot fakes leading to slightly easier shots.
    • But we still contested pretty well, they just made the shots. On two occasions early on we contested so hard we fouled them, but they made the shots anyways.
  • We were down 6 when Jalen went down despite their hot start. Other than a couple turnovers, we were executing pretty well on offense.
    • Vital hit 2 big 3's early. Temple's D was pretty strong the first few possessions and our offense wasn't doing much and he bailed us out.
    • I think we were poised to go on a run if/when they cooled off.
    • We didn't know what to do when Jalen went out. Smith and BAdams weren't ready to run things. We didn't score for a few minutes and our misses/turnovers led to some easy baskets their way.
    • We got outscored by 20 in the 1st half after Adams got hurt.
  • We crushed them on the boards in the 2nd half.
    • I think I saw 30-6 margin? Some of it was them not trying due to the lead (and us missing some bunnies in rebounding position, Drummond-style), but Carlton, Cobb, and Wilson were playing volleyball.
      • Carlton's offensive rebounding is pretty underrated. He's a below the rim player, but still has a nose for tipping and can get position.
    • Cobb and Carlton both ate them alive in the paint scoring, too. Cobb had 2 nice drives in the 1st half and was our only offense after Jalen went out.
      • Of course, Cobb immediately basically tackled a guy on a hedge right after. The yin and yang of Cobb,
    • Overall, we won 2nd half by 8.
  • When Wilson's shot falls, it looks beautiful. When he misses, everything is rushed and out of balance and alignment.
    • He mostly missed tonight.
    • Also got stripped on several drives. Really needs to work on his handle.
  • Saw nothing from BAdams tonight, but with Gilbert still around and Gaffney signed, I'm going to be pretty patient with him.
    • Anything from him is bonus in future seasons. I'm not expecting him to morph into his brother, but his brother went from 32% shooting from 3 as a freshman to 44% as a senior.
  • Tough spot for Smith, but he was pretty terrible tonight.
  • Temple is good at forcing them and we were missing our top 2 PGs, but 8 live ball turnovers is a killer.
  • We tried out Carlton + Cobb in a 2/3 zone in 2nd half. Liked the experiment idea, we'll see if Hurley liked the results. Zone didn't look amazing to me and we can't play man to man with both on the floor without them both fouling out, so I doubt anything will come of it.
  • Vital looked pretty quick on a couple drives, his 3pt shot looks like it's going in every time now, and he had 13 boards. Can't ask for much more.
  • Whaley had a really good hustle sequence in the first half, but he only played 4 minutes. I didn't see him get killed on D to earn the rest of game hook, but I assume that must have happened.
I like your read. Honestly, I don't think we beat Temple even with JA in there. A couple of days prior to the game I posted they are quick and could shoot the three on the run. I have seen them do this on a few games I watched. I have not read their stats at all. However, I cannot say they are a below average shooting team when I seen they play other games the same way against us.
Also, I agree, the Cobb Carlton combo did not look bad at all. Could the three guard combo work it's way out? Maybe used against an opponent that could fit?

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
The Whaley situation frustrates me. No matter how badly we're being killed and no matter how terribly the rest of the frontcourt is playing, he never gets significant minutes. What does Hurley have to lose? Yakwe, Diarra, and Williams are out and Cobb will be gone after this season. This renders the old "preparing X guy for the future" strategy null and void.

Reaction Score
Despite everything, I was impressed by their energy. Down 20+, there were guys on the floor with 5 minutes to go. It would have been really easy to hang their heads after their hot start and Jalen going down. Instead, I saw a team that put in a winning effort regardless of not having the skill to win.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Brendan’s brother, Jaylen with a Y Adams, scored about a billion points at St Bonnie (remember when they beat us 20 or so about 15 years ago?) and said “oh Brendan is already way better than me.” When he signed. Uhhhhhh

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The Whaley situation frustrates me. No matter how badly we're being killed and no matter how terribly the rest of the frontcourt is playing, he never gets significant minutes. What does Hurley have to lose? Yakwe, Diarra, and Williams are out and Cobb will be gone after this season. This renders the old "preparing X guy for the future" strategy null and void.
If Hurley had no interest in playing him he should have told him to transfer. He seems like such a hard working kid with a great attitude I can’t see this being an “earn it in practice” situation. Has the ankle ever really healed? I just don’t know how he has been glued to the bench considering we have 2 actual front court players.

Reaction Score
I like your read. Honestly, I don't think we beat Temple even with JA in there. A couple of days prior to the game I posted they are quick and could shoot the three on the run. I have seen them do this on a few games I watched. I have not read their stats at all. However, I cannot say they are a below average shooting team when I seen they play other games the same way against us.
Also, I agree, the Cobb Carlton combo did not look bad at all. Could the three guard combo work it's way out? Maybe used against an opponent that could fit?

The median college basketball team shoots 34% on the year, so their team average of 32.9% coming into the game was below average. 4 of the 5 guys with the most 3 point attempts on their team shoot below that median %.

I'm skeptical to say we'd have won with Jalen, but I think we'd have made it a game that could go either way, especially if we were able to get a similar inside presence.

I could see the big lineup being a trick up Hurley's sleeves in certain matchups, especially if they practice the two of them in a zone together.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom