Temple Series | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Temple Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What do you know, Daniello singles, then a home run by Davey. I feel so smart!

I have no desire to take Sundberg out of the lineup. He seems to play a fine center field, and he does get on base more often then the rest of the lineup. He is contributing something.

Reaction Score
12th inning, game tied. Melley gets hit by a pitch. Aaron Hill comes in to pinch run. Bad move in my mind. If the game continues past this inning, one of your two best hitters is out of the game.

Reaction Score
Tough one giving up 3 runs w/ 2 outs in 14th.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/041814aaa.html

Game Notes

- David Mahoney’s 4.2 innings of relief marked a new career high.
- With 13 hits today, the Huskies have recorded double-digit hits in each of the last five games.
- Blake Davey now has recorded eight of UConn’s 17 home runs this season.
- UConn falls to 3-5 this season in extra inning action.

The squads will complete the three-game set with a finale on Saturday, April 19. First pitch is set for 1 p.m.

Playing .500 ball isn't going to get it done.

Reaction Score
Tough one giving up 3 runs w/ 2 outs in 14th.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/041814aaa.html

Game Notes

- David Mahoney’s 4.2 innings of relief marked a new career high.
- With 13 hits today, the Huskies have recorded double-digit hits in each of the last five games.
- Blake Davey now has recorded eight of UConn’s 17 home runs this season.
- UConn falls to 3-5 this season in extra inning action.

The squads will complete the three-game set with a finale on Saturday, April 19. First pitch is set for 1 p.m.

Playing .500 ball isn't going to get it done.
And the fact that they are all unearned because of an error. Also to leave the bases loaded earlier. Once again this just exemplifies the season for this team.

Reaction Score
UConn lineup:

Verdi - SS
Daniello - 3B
Davey - RF
Melley - 1B
Siena - 2B
McDowell - C
Garabedian - LF
Sullivan - DH
Sundberg - CF
Kay - P

Two days in a row without Yavarone in the lineup.

Reaction Score
Another day, same story. Missed opportunity after missed opportunity. The little things continue to lead to losses.

Reaction Score
Kay pitched a good game, but the wheels came off for him in the 7th inning when Temple took a 5-1 lead. It seemed obvious from listening to the game that Kay was tiring and needed to be taken out. The problem is that it is obvious from the way Coach Penders uses his bullpen. In tight situations late in the game Penders only really trusts Ruotolo and Mahoney to do the job, and both those guys have pitched at least three innings already in this series. So instead of bringing in guys like Slade or Over who can be inconsistent, Penders left Kay in too long.

Reaction Score
Davey and Melley have been excellent offensive players pretty much all season, and it shows in their stats. They got on in the 7th inning with two out. But other than Daniello, the rest of the lineup hasn't been hitting or getting on base really in any situation to speak of, and it shows in their overall stats as well. Consequently, it didn't surprise me when they got left on base to end the inning.

Reaction Score
2 outs nobody on, single, walk, error, wild pitch, walk, walk, wild pitch and what you don't see in the box score is the bobble or missed opportunity to throw a go out with a good throw. Its a hit by Davey and a hit by Melley and then everyone else making outs. I really think its time Penders starts benching some guys. I know they are a young team but they have a lot of players back and as far as I am concerned Davey has more than covered for the loss of Mazzilli. There's no excuses for this teams performance this year. I think Siena needs to take a seat and put Hill in and I wouldn't mind seeing Testani in for Sundberg. Siena and Sundberg seem to come up regularly with men in scoring position and keep leaving them stranded. Something needs to happen to shake up this team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Davey and Melley have been excellent offensive players pretty much all season, and it shows in their stats. They got on in the 7th inning with two out. But other than Daniello, the rest of the lineup hasn't been hitting or getting on base really in any situation to speak of, and it shows in their overall stats as well. Consequently, it didn't surprise me when they got left on base to end the inning.
Unfortunately Daniello is an error machine right now.

Reaction Score
Kay pitched a good game, but the wheels came off for him in the 7th inning when Temple took a 5-1 lead. It seemed obvious from listening to the game that Kay was tiring and needed to be taken out. The problem is that it is obvious from the way Coach Penders uses his bullpen. In tight situations late in the game Penders only really trusts Ruotolo and Mahoney to do the job, and both those guys have pitched at least three innings already in this series. So instead of bringing in guys like Slade or Over who can be inconsistent, Penders left Kay in too long.
He always stretches his pitchers. 4.1 for Mahoney yesterday is too much. He could have brought in Slade, especially after the error as he seemed to come undone. This team is just majorly underachieving this year. Tired of having to rely on spectacular runs in the conference tourney to make the regionals. Need to start being more consistent during the actual season.

Reaction Score
He always stretches his pitchers. 4.1 for Mahoney yesterday is too much. He could have brought in Slade, especially after the error as he seemed to come undone. This team is just majorly underachieving this year. Tired of having to rely on spectacular runs in the conference tourney to make the regionals. Need to start being more consistent during the actual season.

You call it stretching the pitcher, but it comes down to the fact that Penders would rather have those guys in the game rather than putting someone he doesn't really trusts in a tight situation late in the game. The guys he trusts are Ruotolo and Mahoney. Zapata too, as he had a long relief effort in one of the Temple games since his start got rained out this past week. But for Penders, Slade, Over, and the other guys out of the bullpen are not there yet. And because of this, Penders gets real careful about overworking Mahoney and Ruotolo. Consequently, the starters sometimes stay in a bit too long like Kay did today.

Reaction Score
Well, I would rather have Over, Radue and Slade take their lumps now and be ready for tourney play because you know they will be needed then. Also at this point what do you have to lose.
Siena lines into a DP to end the game. Even when he hits it hard he can't catch a break. My issue is in a 6-2 game and a line drive to SS how is Melley getting doubled off first? Where you going? Can't overcome the multitude of mistakes this team makes game after game.

Reaction Score
2 outs nobody on, single, walk, error, wild pitch, walk, walk, wild pitch and what you don't see in the box score is the bobble or missed opportunity to throw a go out with a good throw. Its a hit by Davey and a hit by Melley and then everyone else making outs. I really think its time Penders starts benching some guys. I know they are a young team but they have a lot of players back and as far as I am concerned Davey has more than covered for the loss of Mazzilli. There's no excuses for this teams performance this year. I think Siena needs to take a seat and put Hill in and I wouldn't mind seeing Testani in for Sundberg. Siena and Sundberg seem to come up regularly with men in scoring position and keep leaving them stranded. Something needs to happen to shake up this team.
I agree using the same guys over and over is not working. The hitting is anemic and although the guys on the bench might not do any better (likely the won't) we need to shake things up a bit with the lineup. Team needs some sort of spark and the regular nine is not cutting it. Can not lose 2/3 from temple at home...just can not happen

Reaction Score
Well, I would rather have Over, Radue and Slade take their lumps now and be ready for tourney play because you know they will be needed then. Also at this point what do you have to lose.

From what I've seen of Penders, pitchers first have to consistently prove themselves in situations outside of when the game is on the line. Once they do that, they get some chances in prime time, so to speak. Slade and Over have been getting innings, sometimes in crucial situations, but I get the idea that Penders wants/needs them to be more reliable before getting into these game on the line situations more consistently.

Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/041914aaa.html

Game Notes
- Blake Davey recorded his 18th multi-hit game of the season, most of any UConn player.
- Davey also extended his hitting streak to 10 games, second longest for a Husky this season.
- UConn has recorded double-digit hits in its last six games.

UConn returns to action on Monday for the first of three midweek games next week. The Huskies welcome Central Connecticut State to Storrs for a 3 p.m. first pitch.

Reaction Score
Really should have gotten 2/3 here...oh well, so long Temple baseball, hardly knew you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom