Temple Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Temple Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Temple game:
  • It’s no surprise that Tonya’s team came to play today. It was surprising that UConn came out a little flat. To quote my good buddy Willie Shakespeare, All’s Well That Ends Well.
  • Aubrey did an amazing job holding down the fort in the first half with Liv on the bench in foul trouble. Once again, she changed the complexion of the game, dominated the boards, achieving a double-double by halftime while playing approximately 15 minutes. Simply amazing!
  • Anna’s decision making and execution with the ball in her hands today was tremendous. She continues to demonstrate a level of poise and maturity that is reassuring heading towards the Big Dance. Anna also changed the complexion of the game with her movement and passing, which really got the offense cooking when Crystal and Megan, along with Anna started knocking down shots.
  • This UConn team clearly has its weaknesses, but when the Huskies spread the floor, move the ball and knock down shots from the arc, they are a very dangerous team that can play with anyone.
  • Another really nice team effort with 6 players in double figures. The Huskies emptied the bench, and nobody had to play big minutes. Bring on the Bulls.

Reaction Score
I like the game. I liked what I saw from UConn women. Seemed like they were playing like adults and it seems to get smoother and better. Decisions on the floor looked like they were planned and intelligently made. Good ball movement and looking for the open player demonstrated by the amount of 3's that they made. Aubrey seems to get more aggressive each game. Bottom line: they are playing a more competitive game and more precision.

Reaction Score
A solid team effort, highlighted by Aubrey’s rebounding and Anna’s dishes—she had 8, the entire Temple team 9. Almost makes you think she could be Freshman of the Year...And Crystal shooting lights out. I could go on.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Temple game:
  • It’s no surprise that Tonya’s team came to play today. It was surprising that UConn came out a little flat. To quote my good buddy Willie Shakespeare, All’s Well That Ends Well.
  • Aubrey did an amazing job holding down the fort in the first half with Liv on the bench in foul trouble. Once again, she changed the complexion of the game, dominated the boards, achieving a double-double by halftime while playing approximately 15 minutes. Simply amazing!
  • Anna’s decision making and execution with the ball in her hands today was tremendous. She continues to demonstrate a level of poise and maturity that is reassuring heading towards the Big Dance. Anna also changed the complexion of the game with her movement and passing, which really got the offense cooking when Crystal and Megan, along with Anna started knocking down shots.
  • This UConn team clearly has its weaknesses, but when the Huskies spread the floor, move the ball and knock down shots from the arc, they are a very dangerous team that can play with anyone.
  • Another really nice team effort with 6 players in double figures. The Huskies emptied the bench, and nobody had to play big minutes. Bring on the Bulls.

.......Good run today for the Huskies, and no one got hurt. :D It was a lot of fun watching Aubrey play today!!! She has become fan favorite.

Today's box score -
1583615753099.png

WOW!! Griffin went to the line 17 times, made 11 (64.7%).
Note - Griffin had 8 offensive rebounds. The team only had 11. Only 5 Huskies went to the line today. The other 4 shot 100% from the line. Her arms must have gotten tired. :eek: Next year, she be going to the line for and 1's. UConn only had 6 turnovers all day. :D If they only turn the ball over 6 times tomorrow, and only commit 8 fouls, it's going to be a long day for USF.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
CW’s stats are atrocious. Disappointing again. Defense not quite as good, Temple scores pretty consistently.

overall good game, especially second half.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Pretty sure Anna was robbed of two assists by the scorers on passes to Williams - she should have had a double double.

Not surprised for the flat start - often happens to teams in conference tournaments when they have 'byes' and the other team comes of playing the day before.

Thought the defense was pretty spotty.

Griffin was impressive - but she often seems a little lost and playing off of instinct - you see teammates pointing her to different places on the floor quite a bit.

Ono has two issues - the elbow hook/push and the defensive swat and they lead to a lot of silly fouls.

Good balanced effort but room to improve tomorrow.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
All said so far is accurate.

Look at the stats and the story is told:
18 assists on 29 baskets - Anna has 8 of those
Only 6 turnovers
44 rebounds of which Aubrey had 16
Only 8 personal fouls.

On to USF. Pinzan, USF's point guard, injured her right ankle about half way through the second quarter. She did not return to the game, but was on the bench. If she plays tomorrow, which I doubt, she will be less than 100%. Pinzan is their floor general.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Off grid but I live to see a Batouly screen. :)

More on point, I had voiced concern how Anna seems a bit nonchalant with the ball and it scares me but after today, I do not see it that way. She handles the ball that way on purpose as a means of deception. (8 Assists and 0 TO's) And no one has a better bounce pass than Anna.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Anna's court vision is so very good. Thought she should have shot at least several times more. She's a player. Thankfully Aubrey is doing better at the free throw line. That young lady has cat quickness. A solid effort after those early minutes.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure Anna was robbed of two assists by the scorers on passes to Williams - she should have had a double double.

Not surprised for the flat start - often happens to teams in conference tournaments when they have 'byes' and the other team comes of playing the day before.

Griffin was impressive - but she often seems a little lost and playing off of instinct - you see teammates pointing her to different places on the floor quite a bit.

Ono has two issues - the elbow hook/push and the defensive swat and they lead to a lot of silly fouls.

The announcer called Anna the floor general. She did seems to be handing out directions a lot, almost as if she were Freshman of the Year. Hard to pick a favorite play but since both of our freshmen were spectacular, I will go with Anna’s dish under the basket to Aubrey in first quarter. But that’s just picking out one gem in a string of diamonds. Walker had a really nice pass as well.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A lot of 3s make everything easier. There are always things that can be improved but none that I would dwell on in this game. A good solid win and move on.
Yea, at this point in the year, it's win and advance. But it's nice to get a 30+ win. :D

Freshmen did a nice job today.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Off grid but I live to see a Batouly screen. :)

More on point, I had voiced concern how Anna seems a bit nonchalant with the ball and it scares me but after today, I do not see it that way. She handles the ball that way on purpose as a means of deception. (8 Assists and 0 TO's) And no one has a better bounce pass than Anna.
Like you, I have been concerned that, at times, Anna is a little loose with the ball. But today she demonstrated a remarkable court awareness, and all of her passes were on time and on the mark.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

She can be a little nonchalant and flashy with the ball at times, but then the same could be said of Taurasi. Diana had about 109 assists as a freshman. Makurat's up to 93 after today.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oops, hit post by mistake. Meant to go on to say that John Brickly's family lived two doors down from me when my family lived in West Hartford. He is about my son's age although John went to the parochial school and my son was in public schools so they swam in different ponds.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Nice start for the Huskies for the game as a whole; not particularly nice early part of Q1. AG's coming out party! Terrific on the boards (another quarter & she might have had half the Temple players foul out); FTs better than her average -- she certainly got to practice her FT shooting in this game. (Liv also FT 2/2) Plus all starters contributed (yes, even Christyn). Raining 3's. CD had a really good shooting game, emphasis on 6/9 3 pt goals; who woulda thunk she would end up being top scorer? Meg didn't have one of her better games, 5/14, though 3/6 for 3's. Anna Mak, when she wasn't dropping 3s, was tops in assists with 8; Crystal had 3.

Slow start. Some concerns: defense didn't seem as tight as has been the case in the closing games of the regular season; not as much success with 2 pt goals. Guessing most of the successful 2 pt scores were due to Liv (5/8, and 2/2 FT). UConn is a very good 3 pt shooting team, but it's hard to be that efficient game after game in a tournament, and then successful 2 pt grinding will be crucial, e.g. UCF. Regarding relatively low offensive rebounds -- is it UConn strategy to keep most of the players further away from the basket, assuming long rebounds -- when a lot of the shooting fails seem to drop a lot closer to the basket. Other than AG w/8, total team offensive rebs: 3.

Temple kept on attacking until the end; not unexpected from a Cardoza team.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

If she can fix those two items (and they are both very fixable) over the summer, she'll be a real "nasty piece of business" next season, as she will stay on the floor longer, only coming out for a blow. Geno has said many times that UConn is a different team when she's on the floor. Incoming freshman 6'5" Piath Gabriel will be here next season. There's no way of knowing (right now) how soon she'll be ready to play. Geno could sure use her during the OOC portion of the schedule. :)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom