Temple Out - Dunphy Retiring - What to expect? | The Boneyard

Temple Out - Dunphy Retiring - What to expect?

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
Since I have come to the realization we are quite possibly stuck in the AAC - I'm starting to accept that I care about the other teams getting better. A better league + a better UConn in the following years only increasing our chances of returning to the top of the pack and hopefully an ACC or Big12 invite. Having competitive conference games would also be helpful for increasing SOS and testing the team to be ready for March.

Temple has been lackluster in March but at least they are relevant and unfortunately keep beating us.

What will Temple look like under the new head coach, (and current Assistant Coach), Aaron McKie?

Anyone have any info on the guy and if his background makes him a promising hire?

g_smith

Reaction Score
Former alum with no head coaching experience who played for the 76ers in 2000s.

What could go wrong?

They obviously didn't learn anything from good ole UConn *facepalm*

g_smith

Reaction Score
To be fair, McKie was on the coaching staff of the 76ers for a few years first. He's been coaching longer than KO has (2008-now).
This makes me feel slightly better but still no head coaching which leaves a lot up in the air. Wonder how his recruiting connections are being with the 76ers and all.

Reaction Score
On top of this, I got a friend who’s close to the Arkansas athletic department, and he says Arkansas is drawing up plans to buy out Mike Anderson and pursue Kelvin Sampson.

Reaction Score
On top of this, I got a friend who’s close to the Arkansas athletic department, and he says Arkansas is drawing up plans to buy out Mike Anderson and pursue Kelvin Sampson.
It would make sense that Sampson would move on although Arkansas would be a bit of a surprise.

SubInATub

I have midnight visits
Reaction Score
This makes me feel slightly better but still no head coaching which leaves a lot up in the air. Wonder how his recruiting connections are being with the 76ers and all.

McKie is a Philly guy. Probably hoping he can keep some kids there.

g_smith

Reaction Score
It would make sense that Sampson would move on although Arkansas would be a bit of a surprise.

If that is the case - does Houston have the monetary firepower to counter offer and keep him with them?

g_smith

Reaction Score
McKie is a Philly guy. Probably hoping he can keep some kids there.
Hoping he can keep some but also pull some new ones. We’re not traditional Philly recruiters so I’m all good with them keeping that area. But they better stay away from
Point guards from the Bronx!!!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If that is the case - does Houston have the monetary firepower to counter offer and keep him with them?
It probably won't come to money because there's more money in Houston than the whole state of Arkansas What it will come down to is does Sampson stay in AAC or go to P5

g_smith

Reaction Score
It probably won't come to money because there's more money in Houston than the whole state of Arkansas What it will come down to is does Sampson stay in AAC or go to P5

To make a P6 or jump to the P5. Tough spot.

g_smith

Reaction Score
Yes.

Tillman fertita.
Fertita wants the double double. Rockets and cougars both in Red. All he’s gotta do is drop serious green $$$$

Reaction Score
To make a P6 or jump to the P5. Tough spot.
To stay at Houston, a perennially contending school or go try to rebuild a lowly Arkansas program? Tough spot indeed...

Honestly, power 5 is really only a difference maker in football. The AAC is a good conference that has respect in basketball, not as much as the power 5 but close enough. Think about it, who was the last AAC coach to get poached for a power 5 job. Josh pastner (retrospectively looking, thank god)? And to be honest, Houston is probably more prestigious than Arkansas athletically...

Something else to consider, Houston just poached Dana holgerson away from West Virginia. I think that speaks volumes about Houston’s athletic program

Reaction Score
To stay at Houston, a perennially contending school or go try to rebuild a lowly Arkansas program? Tough spot indeed...

Honestly, power 5 is really only a difference maker in football. The AAC is a good conference that has respect in basketball, not as much as the power 5 but close enough. Think about it, who was the last AAC coach to get poached for a power 5 job. Josh pastner (retrospectively looking, thank god)? And to be honest, Houston is probably more prestigious than Arkansas athletically...

Something else to consider, Houston just poached Dana holgerson away from West Virginia. I think that speaks volumes about Houston’s athletic program
Agree all the way. Leaving for ARKANSAS without a previous connection (i.e. alumnus) just because the conference has more clout is psychotic. Houston as an institution couldn't be more serious about building an athletics powerhouse, and the location is unbeatable from a recruiting perspective for literally all sports. That would be a huge demotion in my opinion.

g_smith

Reaction Score

This is what I like to hear. Keep our Sos high, get back to our heydays and slash some cougars. We could be playing high tier games against houston for the next decade realistically

Complaints about AAC feel less and less valid when you hear that Houston’s poaching from WV. We just need Ws.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom