Temple Looking For A Rivalry .... | The Boneyard

Temple Looking For A Rivalry ....

Reaction Score
This is from "17" but could still very much hold water. A solid amount of away fans compared to many other games the last few years. Would work for many home and home.
Temple Football is Missing a Rivalry Game
With the Temple head coach calling for an onside kick up by 30 with 2:30 left in the first half had to be some kind of message. One irony though, with the recovery that was UConn's best field position of the day on any kick.
Not BC that I have wanted for decades or Rutgers that was developing but at this point it might just be good for both teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Rutgers plays their rivalry game against Michigan State. Rutgers needs a rival, too. UMD plays Penn State.

Reaction Score
We had some pretty entertaining Temple fans sitting next to us in section 134 yesterday. Lots of good natured back and forth with the UConn fans around them which would have been a lot more enjoyable had the game not gotten out of hand so quickly. Since Rutgers, Cuse and BC aren't our conferencemates any longer, we could certainly do worse than Temple as a fb rival.

Reaction Score
Don’t rivalries just happen? Do teams actually get together and decide that they want to be rivals?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
There were a few unsportsmanlike things yesterday for sure. That onside kick definitely one of them. Also, one of their punters seemed to be using the color guard for target practice during halftime. You could tell there was a lot of smack talk going on on the field too.

I think there is definitely rivalry potential here. It’s the only easy drive for either team (well Temple is close to Navy but I’m pretty sure they already have a rival.) There tends to be a fair number of visitor fans when we play each other. My buddies and I were lucky enough to have blue cheese chucked at us a few years ago at the Linc. If we were at all competitive I would have loved to give those morons in king getups the business. A mostly friendly temple fan struck up a conversation with our tailgate but he was one more comment about how there was no one there away from me feeling unfriendly.

Reaction Score
You can't force rivalries. Just ask Diaco with that stupid Civil Conflict nonsense. Besides you already have a rivalry.....UMass. You want a better rivalry? Play better football then win a few meaningful games vs Temple that makes them sting and UConn sing. :)

C

Chief00

We are too bad to have a rival. No one wants to put their football program in the same boat. Sad but true. Chief, keeps it real.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Don’t rivalries just happen? Do teams actually get together and decide that they want to be rivals?
I don’t think anyone is suggesting that. Just talking about the potential of a rivalry and the elements involved in that.

Reaction Score
Rutgers plays their rivalry game against Michigan State. Rutgers needs a rival, too. UMD plays Penn State.

Should the B1G's dreams come true in the future, that is a temporary arranegment. Maryland wold be natrually paired-up with newcomer UVA while Rutgers would get Penn St, which is the team that Rutgers football has the most animosity towards (and a lot of NJ high school kids and football players go to Penn St). Michigan St's challeneg is that they view their #1 rival as Michigan; but, that rivalry takes a backseat to the Game between Michigan and Ohio State.

thedrowsyowl

TU student from CT
Reaction Score
As a Temple student from CT, I'd be for this. From what I know, there have been some controversial games in the series history and UConn and Cincinnati are the closest thing Temple has to any type of rivalry in this conference. Because of our historical football ineptitude, our closest things we have to rivals are Penn State (who we've beaten once in 70 years and don't consider us rivals at all), Villanova (FBS), and Rutgers (not in the same conference). UConn makes the most sense. Last year's Homecoming game was not fun - I received many texts from my UConn friends about that game :(

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If we win they deliver a truck load of cheese steaks for the team and if they win we send down some lobster roll.

Reaction Score
It is time to think this ...

We reached - I believe - to solve Houston and SMUs desire to have regional rivalries. Look at Tulane and Tulsa and that is what that was. Both can be competitive. And they are probably worth water cooler talk in Dallas.

They put Navy in the other division - Wrong. We do need to have something more than Temple and Cincinnati (and Cincinnati and Temple need something more). I am thinking Buffalo which is on a High in Both Football and Hoop. And they are the top Flagship in the SUNY system; so, they are clearly a very solid academic program. Why not UMASS? Because they are just great at bollocks. Nothing seems to be advancing. We can easily be a Hoop Power again ... and I believe Buffalo is up on the par level now. Army? Who thinks that was going to happen ... hurray for Monken.

Reaction Score
We are too bad to have a rival. No one wants to put their football program in the same boat. Sad but true. Chief, keeps it real.

Disappointed in you here Chief, you sound as silly as ND fan above. No attack but schools do not become rivals because like fifth graders AD's ask will you be my boy/girl friend. It happens out of bad blood, conference affiliation and proximity. All I am insinuating is the possibility is present regardless of our current teams record.

The recipe is in place for it to naturally happen. Same conference, same division. For those that may be new to UConn football, Temple still has a bad feeling we held them out of the Big East football conference.
The onside kick while up by 30 with little to go in the first half against a 31 point underdog tells me Tempel's coach likes the idea. ;)
Really one of the only sensible possibilities at this point in time to actually become something due again to the proximity thingy. I for one would do Philly every other year but not really able to do UCF , Houston etc. Home and home easy for both schools fans.

The Civil ConPHLiCT
God I hate giving credit when it's due, but I would make a minor change...We're talking Philly here...
The Uncivil CONNPHLict . :D

C

Chief00

Disappointed in you here Chief, you sound as silly as ND fan above. No attack but schools do not become rivals because like fifth graders AD's ask will you be my boy/girl friend. It happens out of bad blood, conference affiliation and proximity. All I am insinuating is the possibility is present regardless of our current teams record.

The recipe is in place for it to naturally happen. Same conference, same division. For those that may be new to UConn football, Temple still has a bad feeling we held them out of the Big East football conference.
The onside kick while up by 30 with little to go in the first half against a 31 point underdog tells me Tempel's coach likes the idea. ;)
Really one of the only sensible possibilities at this point in time to actually become something due again to the proximity thingy. I for one would do Philly every other year but not really able to do UCF , Houston etc. Home and home easy for both schools fans.

God I hate giving credit when it's due, but I would make a minor change...We're talking Philly here...
The Uncivil CONNPHLict . :D

Sorry it’s been a long season and Chief kept watching the games. Perhaps this can work but first we have to stop letting everyone beat us by 30-50 points.
Good observation about that onside kick.

Reaction Score
Temple's natural rival is Rutgers, a traditional long-time foe 60 miles away and a lot of dislike among the fan bases. There is nowhere near as much dislike for UConn. Series resumes in 2020. Don't have to have an in-conference rivalry to have a rival (Georgia vs. GT for one, Penn State vs. Pitt for another, etc., etc.). I'm sure Pitt still considers West Virginia but it can't get the Mountaineers on the schedule. Fortunately, Temple and RU agreed to a home-and-home. You can't create these things as Bob Diaco learned. They have to happen naturally.

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Temple's natural rival is Rutgers, a traditional long-time foe 60 miles away and a lot of dislike among the fan bases. There is nowhere near as much dislike for UConn. Series resumes in 2020. Don't have to have an in-conference rivalry to have a rival (Georgia vs. GT for one, Penn State vs. Pitt for another, etc., etc.). I'm sure Pitt still considers West Virginia but it can't get the Mountaineers on the schedule. Fortunately, Temple and RU agreed to a home-and-home. You can't create these things as Bob Diaco learned. They have to happen naturally.
Trust us, no one sees Temple as a rival either. Creating something from nothing is stupid. However, we're all stuck in this conference together and can't get games against our rivals. So I guess we'll need to pretend to not like each other to appease the notion of having a "rival"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom