Temple HC Matt Rhule Praises Huskies Run Defense | The Boneyard

Temple HC Matt Rhule Praises Huskies Run Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Talk about a picture worth 1000 words...

Connecticut+v+Temple+_KH3STZiRX3l.jpg

Reaction Score
Talk about a picture worth 1000 words...

Connecticut+v+Temple+_KH3STZiRX3l.jpg
Hey Matt. Mind if I come hang out with you? Do ya? Can I? You know I'm a coach too.

Rhule: uh? Excuse me, I've gotta go.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Ruhle was very successful year 3. Why we can't match freakin TEMPLE in year 3 performance makes me incensed.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Ruhle was very successful year 3. Why we can't match freakin TEMPLE in year 3 performance makes me incensed.
While I absolutely believe we should be much further ahead than we are today as a program, this may not be a fair comparison as Ruhle replaced a guy who moved on to a better job due to his performance at Temple. Diaco filled an opening created when the HC drove the program into the ground.

That said, as Temple may be the one school that runs an offense our defense is designed to match up with, a big part of me is expecting a move to a smaller, faster defensive set and they will then run over us the way they did against USF.

I know, there is no evidence that this staff would make such a knee-jerk reaction. I've just become cynical to the point where thoughts like this are natural.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
While I absolutely believe we should be much further ahead than we are today as a program, this may not be a fair comparison as Ruhle replaced a guy who moved on to a better job due to his performance at Temple. Diaco filled an opening created when the HC drove the program into the ground.

That said, as Temple may be the one school that runs an offense our defense is designed to match up with, a big part of me is expecting a move to a smaller, faster defensive set and they will then run over us the way they did against USF.

I know, there is no evidence that this staff would make such a knee-jerk reaction. I've just become cynical to the point where thoughts like this are natural.
Member when Temple was a cupcake? Member when it was cute that they tried to compete with us? I member!

Uggggggghhhhh how far we've fallen that we aspire to TEMPLE levels of success!!!!!! :mad:

Reaction Score
Member when Temple was a cupcake? Member when it was cute that they tried to compete with us? I member!

Uggggggghhhhh how far we've fallen that we aspire to TEMPLE levels of success!!!!!! :mad:

LOL, when has Temple ever been a cupcake to UConn? Even in the UConn 2010 BCS game year, Temple beat UConn.
I have great respect for the UConn football program because I feel that both our schools have the same hurdles going up against southern domiciled FB schools in the AAC. However, to say that Temple was ever a "cupcake" for UConn is a statement with no facts. to support it. Temple has won 4 of 5. Even the 2007 (the "non-catch" game) and the 2008 (OT I believe) game were competitive when Golden was still building the program.

Reaction Score
Interesting...

>>"At the end of the day, what kids see every day in practice, in the spring and the fall is what they are usually pretty good at," Rhule said. "When you face the spread teams, there is a lot of tackling in traffic, bubble screens, all those perimeter plays, so the defense gets accustomed to stopping that. When you face teams like us that get in bunched, tight sets and power football, you get accustomed to just defending a gap. With our formations, we try to create gaps and confusion. Guys aren't able to just run to the ball unimpeded, they now have to get off blocks and try to make a tackle. While it's hard to tackle in space, it's also hard to get off a block and make a tackle. That's one of the reasons why we try to line up and play it the way we do, so we can be a little bit more of an outlier. There's not many teams that are lining up with two backs in the conference anymore, even Connecticut now is mainly in three and four-wides. They spread it out, so we are really the only team that does it. We are hoping to be a little different and maybe gain an advantage since guys aren't as accustomed to it as they were ten years ago."

Reaction Score
Why run when the CBs are ten yards off the line of scrimmage and you can just dump the ball to a wide out for an easy seven yards?

The Huskies run defense is the huge cushion they give in the pass defense.

Reaction Score

Member when we lead the all time series 11-5? Member when we beat you 4 out of the last 5 match ups? Member when we spanked you 30-16 in your most successful season in UConn football history? I member!

Reaction Score
Member when the Big East threw out your program for sucking so bad?

Member when we were only 12 years removed from being thrown out of a conference but are still way ahead of UConn as a program?

Reaction Score
This is one of those arguments that is just embarrassing. Temple is better than us. Their ceiling is probably lower long term, but they are better and will continue to be better until we get a great coach like they have. Simple as that.

I'm not even remotely upset that they beat us these days. We just got ass pounded by ECU, that's worse. I consider playing Temple a big day in this crappy conference.

Reaction Score
Member when we were only 12 years removed from being thrown out of a conference but are still way ahead of UConn as a program?
member when you came to a UConn board to talk and got banned

Reaction Score
Interesting...

>>"At the end of the day, what kids see every day in practice, in the spring and the fall is what they are usually pretty good at," Rhule said. "When you face the spread teams, there is a lot of tackling in traffic, bubble screens, all those perimeter plays, so the defense gets accustomed to stopping that. When you face teams like us that get in bunched, tight sets and power football, you get accustomed to just defending a gap. With our formations, we try to create gaps and confusion. Guys aren't able to just run to the ball unimpeded, they now have to get off blocks and try to make a tackle. While it's hard to tackle in space, it's also hard to get off a block and make a tackle. That's one of the reasons why we try to line up and play it the way we do, so we can be a little bit more of an outlier. There's not many teams that are lining up with two backs in the conference anymore, even Connecticut now is mainly in three and four-wides. They spread it out, so we are really the only team that does it. We are hoping to be a little different and maybe gain an advantage since guys aren't as accustomed to it as they were ten years ago."

Strength vs. Strength is the key to Temple vs. UConn

>>Temple wants to run the ball and control the clock, while the Huskies strength is stopping the run. UConn is ranked 26th nationally in rushing defense, allowing 125.3 yards per game.

During Temple's three-game win streak, the Owls are averaging 263.6 rushing yards per game. More impressively, Temple's average time of possession in the three wins is more than 38 minutes. "We have won games lately because we have been able to run the football," Temple coach Matt Rhule said. "We have gotten [nearly] 40 minutes in time of possession. That hasn't been our MO against Connecticut."<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom