Temple cuts 7 (of 24) sports programs | The Boneyard

Temple cuts 7 (of 24) sports programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Someday, we really do have to ask ourselves WTF what we are doing allowing CFB to be the SOLE driver of intercollegiate athletics.

Reaction Score
Someday, we really do have to ask ourselves WTF what we are doing allowing CFB to be the SOLE driver of intercollegiate athletics.

Most of those sports are WTF sports. Men's Gymnastics, Crew. Who cares. Sucks that they are cutting baseball. Surprised Cosby couldn't save track and field.

Reaction Score
This is what happens when your revenue sports don't generate enough revenue.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
That stinks and is part of this thing called College football controlling everything and damn everything else.

Reaction Score
Its the college sports landscape now. Expect to hear more colleges doing the same.

Don't be surprised if you hear Hartford is cutting sports programs in the future. I know of at least 1 sport that the head coach/coaching staff was told might not be around much longer.

Reaction Score
WTF? Have we lost complete perspective on why kids go to school? Why we fund universities?

Reaction Score
it's not college football to blame, its title 9

Reaction Score
it's not college football to blame, its title 9
Unfortunately, this is true. For some reason, they continue to not put in a Title 9 exemption clause removing sports for which there is no comparable sport for the other sex sponsored by the NCAA. Read: There is no exemption for football, when there is no women's football sponsored by the NCAA.

Reaction Score
No, its the cost of college football.
But, with respect to Title 9, football isn't a sport that CAN be counterbalanced equally by a women's NCAA sport - there is no women's football. If sports for which there is no NCAA-sponsored counterpart for the opposite sex were excluded from Title 9 calculations, many more sports would be kept.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
But, with respect to Title 9, football isn't a sport that CAN be counterbalanced equally by a women's NCAA sport - there is no women's football. If sports for which there is no NCAA-sponsored counterpart for the opposite s e x were excluded from Title 9 calculations, many more sports would be kept.

It's not about comparable sports, it's about comparable access to scholarships. You can't exempt a sport that consumes 85 male scholarships and untold millions in university support and expect young women in our country to have the same opportunities to pursue an education.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
According to Temple posters this will allow them to focus on football and basketball and allow the to move forward with plans for a campus football stadium...something about the Eagles tripling rent.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, this is true. For some reason, they continue to not put in a Title 9 exemption clause removing sports for which there is no comparable sport for the other s e x sponsored by the NCAA. Read: There is no exemption for football, when there is no women's football sponsored by the NCAA.
I'm all for universities starting lingerie football teams for women if it helps balance out TitleIX scholarship opportunities.

Reaction Score
How about adding in travel expenses to these stupid far reaching conferences.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
How about adding in travel expenses to these stupid far reaching conferences.
I think this will be the part that will kill off a lot of these sports. Having our baseball teams, etc travel to Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, etc is going to be a major burden when these sports don't generate revenue. I really hope we don't end up cutting any sports but it's going to be the reality for any school not in a P5 conference and not in a regional conference. The P5 schools will get enough in tv revenue to continue these sports, non-P5 will not.

Reaction Score
Dang, I was actually looking forward to playing them in baseball, yes I'm that sick in the head! :oops:

Reaction Score
I think this will be the part that will kill off a lot of these sports. Having our baseball teams, etc travel to Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, etc is going to be a major burden when these sports don't generate revenue. I really hope we don't end up cutting any sports but it's going to be the reality for any school not in a P5 conference and not in a regional conference. The P5 schools will get enough in tv revenue to continue these sports, non-P5 will not.

Baseball already travels to these places to get quality NC competition in the first place.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Baseball already travels to these places to get quality NC competition in the first place.
That's fair, maybe I should have chosen a different sport. My point was that all these non-revenue sports will now have to travel South all season, not just at the beginning, in order to play games in conference

Reaction Score
If football was exempted from Title IX, certain schools and conferences would drop a range of women's sports in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
Time for college athletics reform. Maybe football scholarships ought to be reduced to 44. That actually might promote more pariety in the game.

Reaction Score
Track and field doesn't have to travel to league events either like other sports do. They go to meets/invitationals regionally.

Reaction Score
Most of those sports are WTF sports. Men's Gymnastics, Crew. Who cares. Sucks that they are cutting baseball. Surprised Cosby couldn't save track and field.

I'm fairly certain that the athletes, their families, and the coaches and their familes would care.

Reaction Score
Its the college sports landscape now. Expect to hear more colleges doing the same.

Don't be surprised if you hear Hartford is cutting sports programs in the future. I know of at least 1 sport that the head coach/coaching staff was told might not be around much longer.

What Sport??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate