Temple attendance? | The Boneyard

Temple attendance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Announced attendance of 28,236 shows even with a winning team attendance is down. Less then 30K with the home team having a shot for a division crown on the line? I'm pretty happy looking back on our attendance with how bad we were last year. Not sure of exact attendance numbers but did we have any games with "announced" numbers less then 28.236? If this game was at the Rent and we had a shot for a division title you better believe there would have been 35K if not close to a sell out. Proud of our fans vs those Philly phuckers. Haha. #BleedBlue

Reaction Score
Apples and oranges. UConn is flagship state university. Temple, although it is state funded, is privately run. If you want compare flagship universities you would have to use Penn St. I grew up in PA and can tell you that the passion for football in PA is totally different. You don't see high school games in CT being front page newspaper articles or the lead story on the 11 o'clock news.

Reaction Score
AIf this game was at the Rent and we had a shot for a division title you better believe there would have been 35K if not close to a sell out
Sadly, I don't believe that anymore...

I'm a huge college football fan and like the atmosphere of games in person but for many it is too easy to sit home in a climate controlled environment w/ a nice big screen, solid internet and better snacks.

It is what it is.

Reaction Score
Apples and oranges. UConn is flagship state university. Temple, although it is state funded, is privately run. If you want compare flagship universities you would have to use Penn St. I grew up in PA and can tell you that the passion for football in PA is totally different.
Unclear message; how's it support or not support Temple's marginal attendance figures? PA, being a large state with massive football passion strongly suggests the Owls should have much higher attendance. How is Temple privately operated? Perhaps somewhat low(er) public funding, but privately run? The latter is news to most people who reasonably view Temple as a public institution.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

I'm a huge college football fan and like the atmosphere of games in person but for many it is too easy to sit home in a climate controlled environment w/ a nice big screen, solid internet and better snacks.

It is what it is.

Agreed. We just had a huge game at the Rent against the best opponent to come here in years with a bowl game on the line...and it drew 27K. Perfect weather and perfect 3:30 kickoff time. The fans in the stands were outstanding, but I don't think we would have gotten many more than 30K if we were playing for an AAC championship spot against the same Houston team.

We desperately need to sell the heck out of season tickets this offseason if we want to consistently get back over the 30K mark for all games.

Reaction Score
Temple is having a historic season against a historic opponent with a championship clinching game on the line during prime time and only draws 28k in a city with millions of people. Like the guy above me already said, UCONN was hosting an afternoon game against a highly ranked opponent and also drew under 30k. Contrast that with Houston who played at 11am on Black Friday and sold the game out 2 weeks in advance. Not to mention also drawing well even when playing various G5 teams.

Outside of a few select places like Penn State and the NFL, football in the Northeast just doesn't seem to be a priority.

Reaction Score
Temple needs a 35k seat stadium. It was a decent crowd last night and looked like poopy with tarps over thousands of seats in both end zones and a cavernous empty upper deck. There were also quite few of us UCONN fans there even though we didn't have much to cheer about and got stuff thrown at us when we tried.

Reaction Score
12316076_923523287694861_3161214022502671772_n.jpg

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
You can only play/count who is on your schedule but back out the two ND/PSU fan assisted sell-outs and it's more middle of the pack...
Especially because a lot of those fans at the PSU and ND game weren't even Temple fans

Reaction Score
Especially because a lot of those fans at the PSU and ND game weren't even Temple fans

Nah... Temple represented well at both of those games but they had national drawing power. Kinda like when Michigan inflated our year.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Nah... Temple represented well at both of those games
I didn't see the ND game but I did watch some of the PSU game and saw lots of Blue and White. Regardless, it's good for them to have more fans interested. Will be interesting to see if interest holds if success fails them after Ruhle leaves.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Yeah...69k for ND and PSU would skew those numbers more than a little.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I've seen a few UCF games on TV this year. If there were anywhere close to 30K in any of them, I'll wear full UCF gear head to toe at the next conFLiCT.

Reaction Score

It is what it is.
I don't think so. Are the Pats's attendance numbers significantly down? This isn't the majority of the country. This is f-cking New England. We live for the fall/winter experience: loading up the car on a crisp morning with some leftover fog, breath appearing; standing around a fire or grill on a mild-moderately muddy parking lot; throwing a football with one gloved hand and holding a beer in the other; standing up and staying active during the game to actually stave off coldness; loving our teams for putting on a show in said conditions; revelling in the effect said conditions have on our oppoents hailing from warmer, more flowery climates; getting in to a toasty car afterwards and talking about the game and tailgate during the drive home.

The only (relative) downside is the girls are bundled up in Uggs, leggings, sweatshirts, and North Face; hair restricted to a high pony tail, partially held by an unflattering (albeit endearing) ear warmer

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unclear message; how's it support or not support Temple's marginal attendance figures? PA, being a large state with massive football passion strongly suggests the Owls should have much higher attendance. How is Temple privately operated? Perhaps somewhat low(er) public funding, but privately run? The latter is news to most people who reasonably view Temple as a public institution.

I lived in Pa., in the Philadelphia area for over 30 years and still get back there quite often. Eastern and central Pa. is Penn State territory. I won't say never, but I have a difficult time ever seeing Temple develop a real fan base for football. We were all unhappy with Villanova's waffling on building a stadium for Big East football, but its the same issue. No matter how good or bad, Penn State still dominates [along with the Eagles] of course. As Boston College has found out, playing in the home of the pro team is not an automatic attendance boost.

Reaction Score
I lived in Pa., in the Philadelphia area for over 30 years and still get back there quite often. Eastern and central Pa. is Penn State territory. I won't say never, but I have a difficult time ever seeing Temple develop a real fan base for football. We were all unhappy with Villanova's waffling on building a stadium for Big East football, but its the same issue. No matter how good or bad, Penn State still dominates [along with the Eagles] of course. As Boston College has found out, playing in the home of the pro team is not an automatic attendance boost.
I actually talked to a couple groups who said they used to be Penn sTate but are now Temple fans. However both their reasoning was because they had kids who didn't get into Penn State and had to go to Temple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom