Tectonic Plates Shifting on UConn Depth Chart | The Boneyard

Tectonic Plates Shifting on UConn Depth Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
My totally subjective impression as I tried to read the tea leaves embedded in the substitution patterns in last night's ECU game -- I think I see two changes looming:

1. Crystal is getting to the point where, for practical purposes, she is edging out Saniya as the team's top point guard. I think Saniya will continue to start all the games and play significant minutes, but her role will be similar to Caroline Doty's role as a senior. She will start but give way early to Crystal (as Caroline did to Bria Hartley), and Crystal will get the major minutes in competitive games (those few that remain). I say this because Geno seemed to leave Crystal in the game last night even after a few normal freshman mistakes, and even though she wasn't shooting very well. She ended up having basically the same number of minutes as Saniya, and Saniya played the garbage time minutes at the end of the game.
  2. Molly (but not Kyla) is close to earning her Certificate of Trust from the Geno Accreditation Authority. She got into the game in the first half last night for significant minutes. She didn't score for the entire game (didn't take any shots), but she got several assists, rebounds, and steals, and had zero turnovers on a night when UConn was turning the ball over with some frequency. I did not see her make any real mistakes, although I did question one play where she fed Crystal (who missed from the free throw line) when she had a wide open baseline shot to take by herself. It seems to me that she plays basically this game and produces basically these results every time she gets in the lineup, which is the kind of consistency and reliability that her head coach seems to be looking for.
UConn may not be far from having a regular rotation of eight, rather than seven, even in competitive games. That will be a big asset in reducing the wear and tear on the core players, and reducing the team's vulnerability to foul trouble or (perish the thought) injuries.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My totally subjective impression as I tried to read the tea leaves embedded in the substitution patterns in last night's ECU game -- I think I see two changes looming:

1. Crystal is getting to the point where, for practical purposes, she is edging out Saniya as the team's top point guard. I think Saniya will continue to start all the games and play significant minutes, but her role will be similar to Caroline Doty's role as a senior. She will start but give way early to Crystal (as Caroline did to Bria Hartley), and Crystal will get the major minutes in competitive games (those few that remain). I say this because Geno seemed to leave Crystal in the game last night even after a few normal freshman mistakes, and even though she wasn't shooting very well. She ended up having basically the same number of minutes as Saniya, and Saniya played the garbage time minutes at the end of the game.
  2. Molly (but not Kyla) is close to earning her Certificate of Trust from the Geno Accreditation Authority. She got into the game in the first half last night for significant minutes. She didn't score for the entire game (didn't take any shots), but she got several assists, rebounds, and steals, and had zero turnovers on a night when UConn was turning the ball over with some frequency. I did not see her make any real mistakes, although I did question one play where she fed Crystal (who missed from the free throw line) when she had a wide open baseline shot to take by herself. It seems to me that she plays basically this game and produces basically these results every time she gets in the lineup, which is the kind of consistency and reliability that her head coach seems to be looking for.
UConn may not be far from having a regular rotation of eight, rather than seven, even in competitive games. That will be a big asset in reducing the wear and tear on the core players, and reducing the team's vulnerability to foul trouble or (perish the thought) injuries.
I absolutely agree with your assessment, but I would feel so much better if Molly pulled the trigger a few times just to prove to herself that she can shoot the ball. Last night, there were at least 3 times that I felt she passed up open shots to pass the ball to her teammates, not necessarily a bad thing, but sometimes you just have to let it fly.

Reaction Score

Not sure I agree on Molly quite yet. Coming in and just not making glaring errors isn't enough for the Certificate of Trust in big games unless it is forced by a starter in foul trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Really hope you're right. Spent time last night following Molly and she is fundamentally very solid. Crystal's development will be key. Kyla looks more comfortable and fitter.

Reaction Score

I agree with MOST of what you write.
However, my belief (opinion) is of no value, but here it is: Dangerfield and Butler Came off the bench--5 and 6th. That tells me a lot---those are Geno's trusted subs.
Also--As to Dangerfield usurping Chong as STARTING point--I doubt that. Chong is a senior, Geno is very loyal to his seniors who have been thru the wars with him. Dangerfield, at least for the foreseeable future--is much better coming off the bench to "change the game". Just an opinon.

I thought Butler played her best Uconn game ever last evening. She scored in double digits, rebounded with the numbers of Gabby and Napheesa, assists, and steals. In 18 minutes she got these stats--and ONLY ONE FOUL!! Good numbers.

Molly, is trusted (more) by Geno than Kyla (I believe). Molly does not look quite as lost--but Kyla isn't shy of shooting and attacking--that is good. Molly has to learn to throw it up when the boards are covered and she has the shot.
So my belief for at least the AAC games--those off the bench in sequence shall be--Dangerfield, Butler, Molly, Kyla, lawlor.

My opinon for what it's worth!!

Reaction Score
Really hope you're right. Spent time last night following Molly and she is fundamentally very solid. Crystal's development will be key. Kyla looks more comfortable and fitter.

I've been a Molly lover ever since I first saw those rosey cheeks. Molly is SOUND. She knows where she should be and when on offense. Her defense, while not of Gabby caliber, is getting better with a ways to go.
Kyla last evening was a bit more impressive than in previous games. She obviously took Geno's --you must score --personally and tried to score--not very effectively but at least got fouled and MADE them. Personally I'd like to see Molly have some of Kyla's aggressiveness. If aggressive--she could be a significant asset in the NCAA's
Kyla, and I apologize for this in advance, she to me at times looks like a bull in a china shop--under the boards.

Reaction Score
Perhaps Molly Bent, for the time being, is under the same coaching instructions we surmise that Butler has been - a facilitator on offense rather than a shot-maker. There has been speculation that Butler has been coached to facilitate first - pass OR's out to the wings, for example, rather than go for immediate put-backs like other post players typically do. At least until her confidence in her shooting increases.

With regard to the mention of Doty, she was clearly asked to facilitate at point guard her RS senior year, shooting from long-range only on the rare occasion. Doty, even when healthy, was always something of a streaky shooter anyway, much like Nurse is. In fact I see in Kia Nurse the all-court player Doty would have been (and was her sophomore season) sans the injuries.

Reaction Score

I think you have this nailed down pretty well, especially insofar as Crystal's emerging role is concerned. I note that one of your respondents ignored the fact that you maintain, I think correctly, that Saniya will continue to start at point, but will give way earlier and earlier to Crystal as the latter's confidence grows. I have always admired how Geno understands the inevitability of Freshman mistakes, especially from the most difficult position on the floor, but gives talented frosh ample opportunity to work through those "adjustments," and now that in-conference play has begun, he has lots of leeway to do just that. Remember, Mo wasn't Mo in her Freshman year either!

Insofar as Molly is concerned, I also think she has an opportunity to truly be a contributing role player on this team, especially if she can mold her game in the style and image (tall order) of Kelly Faris. This means giving up her body, diving ferociously for every loose ball, out-hustling everyone else on the floor, playing very tenacious defense, etc. She need never be a significant factor in scoring, but must be the hardest worker on the floor, which seems to be her inherent disposition.

Nice post!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't see a shift and definitely not a tectonic one. For the season Saniya was averaging roughly the same amounts of minutes as Crystal. Last night: Saniya 23 Mins ,Crystal 24 Mins.
Prior to last night game, Natalie was averaging 16.9 minutes per game, last night she played 18 Mins. Molly played 16 minutes during the game last night, Molly also played 13 minutes at LSU in the third game of the season and a much more competitive game for UCONN.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I disagree with regards to Saniya and Crystal. All you need to do is look at the Maryland game and see Saniya played 32 minutes while Crystal played 13. The last 2 games are irrelevant because both UCF and ECU were severely overmatched and vs. ECU, no starter played more than 26 minutes except Samuelson who played 28 (Chong had 23 and Dangere 24). USF is up next and we will see what sort of minutes Geno gives to each.

Again, with regards to Molly, UCONN faces USF next - a legit top 25 team. We will see how much PT she gets against a "better" team. UCF and ECU are not good measuring sticks for what we are debating...

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
With regard to the mention of Doty, she was clearly asked to facilitate at point guard her RS senior year, shooting from long-range only on the rare occasion. Doty, even when healthy, was always something of a streaky shooter anyway, much like Nurse is. In fact I see in Kia Nurse the all-court player Doty would have been (and was her sophomore season) sans the injuries.

Well, ok, but can Kia hit shots from the second balcony?;)

Reaction Score
Perhaps Molly Bent, for the time being, is under the same coaching instructions we surmise that Butler has been - a facilitator on offense rather than a shot-maker. There has been speculation that Butler has been coached to facilitate first - pass OR's out to the wings, for example, rather than go for immediate put-backs like other post players typically do. At least until her confidence in her shooting increases.

I have no knowledge if your Facilitator comment is correct or not--BUT--after watching All Access Geno go particularly after the 6th and beyond off the bench --prodding them to score- especially in the 4th quarter--it would appear that Butler would assist in the scoring of the 4 main scorers and take any open shot she had. Last evening she did just that. And had only one foul!!!
Molly was given the same instruction set Butler received. To me that means assist when proper to assist--and Score when open. Molly didn't look much to score--she will---geno will give her a swift kick in the psyche and get her on target.

Doty was an emotional Fan Favorite--you are correct in that she was a streak shooter---when hot no one was hotter--when cold--. Kia is all Doty would have been--and i believe--so much more. If given a very healthy Doty or the Kia we have--Kia is my choice.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I disagree with regards to Saniya and Crystal. All you need to do is look at the Maryland game and see Saniya played 32 minutes while Crystal played 13. The last 2 games are irrelevant because both UCF and ECU were severely overmatched and vs. ECU, no starter played more than 26 minutes except Samuelson who played 28 (Chong had 23 and Dangere 24). USF is up next and we will see what sort of minutes Geno gives to each.

Again, with regards to Molly, UCONN faces USF next - a legit top 25 team. We will see how much PT she gets against a "better" team. UCF and ECU are not good measuring sticks for what we are debating...

I'd be a fool to disagree with you--but foolish I be!
Dangerfield and Molly will see more time in the AAC games USF excluded. Both need PT with the Starting Five (obviously replacing one of them). Geno is weening Crystal Dangerfield slowly and effectively--she looked good last evening. Molly will follow that course unless she really fouls up--which I doubt. Her needs right now are Defense and willingness to score--shrinking violets don't rank high with Geno. Dangerfield in the Baylor game ranked very high --she took the initiative.
She had a few bad defenses lapses (attributed to being a Frosh) and now only rarely tries to exhibit her tremendous scoring skills .

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'd be a fool to disagree with you--but foolish I be!
Dangerfield and Molly will see more time in the AAC games USF excluded. Both need PT with the Starting Five (obviously replacing one of them). Geno is weening Crystal Dangerfield slowly and effectively--she looked good last evening. Molly will follow that course unless she really fouls up--which I doubt. Her needs right now are Defense and willingness to score--shrinking violets don't rank high with Geno. Dangerfield in the Baylor game ranked very high --she took the initiative.
She had a few bad defenses lapses (attributed to being a Frosh) and now only rarely tries to exhibit her tremendous scoring skills .
I don't think we actually disagree at all. I was addressing the "tectonic shift" the OP mentioned with regards to Crystal taking time away from Saniya. You are right - starters will get WAY less PT against the AAC teams who aren't competitive, but in big games, like Maryland just 3 games ago, Saniya got 32 minutes vs. Crystal's 13. USF is up next and we will see how many minutes each one gets...

But of course in most AAC games, starters will get about 25 minutes and the reserves will get a lot more than usual.

Reaction Score
I don't see a shift and definitely not a tectonic one. For the season Saniya was averaging roughly the same amounts of minutes as Crystal. Last night: Saniya 23 Mins ,Crystal 24 Mins.
Prior to last night game, Natalie was averaging 16.9 minutes per game, last night she played 18 Mins. Molly played 16 minutes during the game last night, Molly also played 13 minutes at LSU in the third game of the season and a much more competitive game for UCONN.

To me, I think her performance made it SEEM like Butler was on the floor longer than usual.

Kyla, and I apologize for this in advance, she to me at times looks like a bull in a china shop--under the boards.

A good analogy, as would her looking like a puppy tripping over her own feet. She was trying too hard, getting too deep under the basket, overplaying rebounds, etc. Not entirely bad things for a freshman, and I didn't see her getting discouraged, which is often the most important issue with "puppies".

Reaction Score
I don't think Kia is a streaky shooter - she shoots 3s just about as well as KLS.

Yes, your right, Nurse's 3-pt pct, .45, is just behind KLS .46. And Doty's career 3pt pct, .34, is far behind Nurse's .46 (to date). Perhaps it was my perception during the OOC schedule, but she appeared to get off to cold starts with her perimeter shooting before hitting her scoring stride in 2nd half's. To be honest, KLS did that too on occasion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think we actually disagree at all. I was addressing the "tectonic shift" the OP mentioned with regards to Crystal taking time away from Saniya. You are right - starters will get WAY less PT against the AAC teams who aren't competitive, but in big games, like Maryland just 3 games ago, Saniya got 32 minutes vs. Crystal's 13. USF is up next and we will see how many minutes each one gets...

But of course in most AAC games, starters will get about 25 minutes and the reserves will get a lot more than usual.

Before I started posting---I thought we disagreed--as I continued I apparently agreed much more than I though.
I think, unless Crystal Dangerfield screws up, she will be getting more and more PT as we move toward USC and the NCAA's
Geno will need her youth, energy and talent to go all the way, or at least make the trip easier.
Geno plays his starting five longer than many think necessary--however he knows that if you keep them energized they don't fall back into bad habits or get lazy.

Reaction Score

Par-don---Chong is a stabilizer, a known quantity, a good ball handler, and cautious. She often gives up open shots and make passes when she probably (probably) should have shot the ball. It's not that she isn't a scorer--she is. It isn't that she can't attack bigs under the basket--she has! Confidence/?? or Instructions
I believe Crystal shall never take away Chongs starting job. But Danferfield will see more time at point--her assets:
She quick, she's fast, she can drive and layup, shoot the 3, take the short jumper, and beyond assist with the best of the assisters, she even rebound.
He limitation--her height, she at times loses the thoughts as she defends and leaves someone wide open. However her upside is so much higher than her down side is low--Honestly I'd let her loose and point to the basket and say SCORE--she'll do it.

You are right about everything especially Molly and Kyla.

Reaction Score

There you go--you listed another asset To DANGERFIELD. She's a risk taker. If there is an attribute that this team needs ---at times--is someone willing to step up and take the risk of failure. Katie Lou did just that in the 3rd quarter of the MD game--she said this is my game to win or lose--she chose winning.
The dig at the SEC was fun.
You with out a doubt are correct in that she is young, new, without Div one Experience---all that is true.
The kid has TALENT, speed, see's the court, see's plays as the develop (that's important), is fast, quick, and scores better than anyone past the top 3 players on this team.
So she will be brought along slowly--more and more time in the AAC--less in the USC game (unless she is ready)--lots more in the NCAA's (i'm assuming she'll be ready).
We don't much disagree--the disagreement is more in the nuts and bolts.

Questions: How is it Uconn recruits top and mid level talent--and we discuss --they ain't ready!!
But MD , Ohio, Baylor, Texas, ND all throw in their newly arrived frosh---and in the MD game one of them went off on Uconn for 23 points--are they recruiting better
OR is Uconn process a longer road to greatness??? /

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog