OT: - Teams opting out due to Covid concerns | The Boneyard

OT: Teams opting out due to Covid concerns

Reaction Score
In the past two weeks, I've been reading about teams opting out of the rest of the regular season due to Covid concerns. And for the most part, they have one thing in common: They're bad teams without hope of post-season qualification or success.

What message does this send to young athletes? "Ok, we suck, let's take the ball and go home?" It also does a disservice to their opponents. I've even read a few school press releases where the schools don't even explain the reason. They just say they decided to opt out due to Covid concerns. Don't they owe their students, alumni and fans a real explanation?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
No, unpaid help don't owe anybody anything.

They aren’t unpaid.

They receive compensation.

They should be able to find other ways to make money but there is no perfect system

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

They get to be in their early 20's and D1 basketball players once in their lives, and they are going to just bail? That is a slap in the face to all the kids that would crawl over glass for the chance to play D1 basketball anywhere.

Reaction Score

That’s absurd. If unpaid athletes on the other side are supposed to show up so you can play your season and have a shot at having a good year, you obviously owe it to them not to fail to show up just because the games are no longer meaningful to you.

Reaction Score
In the past two weeks, I've been reading about teams opting out of the rest of the regular season due to Covid concerns. And for the most part, they have one thing in common: They're bad teams without hope of post-season qualification or success.

What message does this send to young athletes? "Ok, we suck, let's take the ball and go home?" It also does a disservice to their opponents. I've even read a few school press releases where the schools don't even explain the reason. They just say they decided to opt out due to Covid concerns. Don't they owe their students, alumni and fans a real explanation?
Can you cite one team that has stopped playing due to concerns from Covid?

Reaction Score
I honestly can’t respect it and no one can get me to change my mind, I was always taught to fight through obstacles in life. Look I understand it does suck a lot of factors involved. You are safer on campus then off campus.

You owe it to yourself. Sports is about a war of attrition you wanna teach kids to fight through obstacles then run from them. Society has a pessimistic hide away attitude about covid rather then a hands on optimistic approach, kind of the deal with a lot of things. Fans should be able to go to games btw.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wait, the school that would not play football is complaining because some schools want to end their basketball season?

Reaction Score
We got till May to have the tournament. College football couldve actually experienced with a wild outside the box idea, have a 25 team playoff and have that be the season as lets be honest bowl games are glorified exhibition games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom