Team USA @ Texas A&M - 11/07/19 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Team USA @ Texas A&M - 11/07/19

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
I'm beginning to question whether Team USA has much interest in making anybody look bad on this tour. Easing into all of them so far.

Probably not. Nobody wants to get hurt for an exhibition game.

Reaction Score
Check out how emotional Diggins gets in this postgame video.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'm beginning to question whether Team USA has much interest in making anybody look bad on this tour. Easing into all of them so far.

Or quite frankly they're just not as good as theyve been the last few Olympic cycles. Bird/DT/Augustus/Fowles are all past their prime, and they have players on the tour like Gray/Clarendon/Plum who are average players at best in the W. Far cry from the past couple of cycles when theyve had Parker, Moore, McCoughtry, Catchings, EDD, Griner and Charles all there competing in their prime.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A few additional thoughts... I'm going to be blunt, but hopefully it's not taken as critical or mean...

Augustus is a liability on the floor. She's a tremendous leader with a great career and past, but against younger physical players, she's constantly beat and when taking shots and not scoring, is a liability for Team USA.

Diana played only about 16 minutes, and was pretty much ineffective. Missing shots, not quick enough to defend younger quicker players - not a good game for her. Even her passes were mangled by Team USA so it's not like she was wracking up assists.

Fowles had a solid game but did not dominate, and frankly she should against college players.

Bird actually looked the best to me among the elder states(wo)men, and as the oldest, it was a bit of a surprise. But the starting 5 simply could not contain Carter - younger, more athletic and energetic, and the best player on the floor by far - a shocking revelation to me for sure.

Gray (Chelsea) and Diggins showed they belonged. But Gray has the strangest dribble i've ever seen for a point guard. pushes the ball and practically brings it up to her chin when dribbling.

Gray (Alicia), Clarendon, Plum and Collier are simply not good enough to be on Team USA at this time. Collier's time will come (brand new to the pros), but the others are average players in the WNBA. Missing Wilson, Charles, DelleDonne, Stewart and Griner, who should replace Gray, Clarendon, Plum, Collier and Augustus. Nneka likely makes the team but... maybe Maya Moore if she comes back...

If team USA had their 12 best, none of these games would be close... ie. within 40 points...

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Gray (Alicia), Clarendon, Plum and Collier are simply not good enough to be on Team USA at this time. Collier's time will come (brand new to the pros), but the others are average players in the WNBA. Missing Wilson, Charles, DelleDonne, Stewart and Griner, who should replace Gray, Clarendon, Plum, Collier and Augustus. I think that's only 11 so add 1 more player who i'm sure i'm forgetting someone... maybe Maya Moore if she comes back, or McCaughtry...
Did you forget Nneka?

I feel like all 3 exhibition games so far have revealed common threads. One of them is the lack of quickness and the inability to contain quick guards like K. Williams, Slocum and Carter. I know that experience and smarts can compensate to some extent for lack of speed, but geezus, only so much.

Reaction Score
A few additional thoughts... I'm going to be blunt, but hopefully it's not taken as critical or mean...

Augustus is a liability on the floor. She's a tremendous leader with a great career and past, but against younger physical players, she's constantly beat and when taking shots and not scoring, is a liability for Team USA.

Diana played only about 16 minutes, and was pretty much ineffective. Missing shots, not quick enough to defend younger quicker players - not a good game for her. Even her passes were mangled by Team USA so it's not like she was wracking up assists.

Fowles had a solid game but did not dominate, and frankly she should against college players.

Bird actually looked the best to me among the elder states(wo)men, and as the oldest, it was a bit of a surprise. But the starting 5 simply could not contain Carter - younger, more athletic and energetic, and the best player on the floor by far - a shocking revelation to me for sure.

Gray (Chelsea) and Diggins showed they belonged. But Gray has the strangest dribble i've ever seen for a point guard. pushes the ball and practically brings it up to her chin when dribbling.

Gray (Alicia), Clarendon, Plum and Collier are simply not good enough to be on Team USA at this time. Collier's time will come (brand new to the pros), but the others are average players in the WNBA. Missing Wilson, Charles, DelleDonne, Stewart and Griner, who should replace Gray, Clarendon, Plum, Collier and Augustus. Nneka likely makes the team but... maybe Maya Moore if she comes back...

If team USA had their 12 best, none of these games would be close... ie. within 40 points...

ditto - I also think Diggins-Smith doesn’t belong if you are going to have C Gray, neither can guard but I see having 1 to run offense. You have to have at least 1 PG who can dog the other teams PG full court to tire them out. Adding Gunner is a waste of time as she doesn’t defend or play team ball and DD is all about herself. USA are missing the TEAM part I.E. good passers who move without the ball, are unselfish and are long so they can switch on D against international competition, plus they need knock down 3 shooters.
At this point EDD should be bounced for lack of commitment, you don’t take their money then back out using the injury excuse again and then go play golf, which is worse on a bad back than basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom