Team USA is back at it.... | The Boneyard

Team USA is back at it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Still looking for any news about WNBA finals players joining the team. Anybody find any word on who has arrived and who is expected and when?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
elzorrogris said:
Sacre' bleu!!!! C'est notable!!

Yeah and it's hard to miss, too

I saw a tweet late last night or early this morning from Stef apparently they flew first class and she made mention of finally having sufficient legroom I don't know why I'm saying this...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno said a couple of players will join the team tomorrow but no mention of which ones. Diana surely is one, and maybe Dupree. No word from USA BB on Griner and EDD. Next game is Friday against AUS.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Geno said a couple of players will join the team tomorrow but no mention of which ones. Diana surely is one, and maybe Dupree. No word from USA BB on Griner and EDD. Next game is Friday against AUS.
Saw that quote - I am really hoping Vandersloot also makes it across. I know she is not the scoring threat of Sims or Diggins or McBride, but she is still young with a lot more experience including 4 years in the USA national team pool. I think she was very good in the finals and might prove to be a better distributer on the team than any of the others who I see as more of DT type of replacements in the future than Sue replacements.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I would like to see BG err on the side of caution and not take a 9 hour flight from Phoenix. The US has plenty of talent without putting her in danger of permanent vision damage.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Saw that quote - I am really hoping Vandersloot also makes it across. I know she is not the scoring threat of Sims or Diggins or McBride, but she is still young with a lot more experience including 4 years in the USA national team pool. I think she was very good in the finals and might prove to be a better distributer on the team than any of the others who I see as more of DT type of replacements in the future than Sue replacements.

I would be surprised to see CVS make the team. She is not a scoring threat like Diggins and Sims, nor can she defend as well as either. Will there be enough playing time for a 5th PG to join the team at this point?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I would like to see BG err on the side of caution and not take a 9 hour flight from Phoenix. The US has plenty of talent without putting her in danger of permanent vision damage.
I'm not sure what the risk is now, but the downside if something goes wrong could be very bad. Retinas are sensitive. I had a similar experience and could not fly.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what the risk is now, but the downside if something goes wrong could be very bad. Retinas are sensitive. I had a similar experience and could not fly.

Ditto my oldest brother. Numerous operations and his eyes never fully recovered. The bummer is he lives in Rhode Island and his only child is in Oregon.

Reaction Score

Depends on what she had, if she had a detached retina, she would've gotten a gas bubble in her eye to attach the retina back to its place....this she wouldn't be able to fly bc of the gas bubble. If she had a retinal tear, she would've gotten a laser, depending if the laser worked or if she needed more laser done to her eye, it might be sensitive and would not be able to do any strenous activities. Either way, she would be wary to just rest her conditions IF those were the diagnosis of what happened to her retina IMHO

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Depends on what she had, if she had a detached retina, she would've gotten a gas bubble in her eye to attach the retina back to its place....this she wouldn't be able to fly bc of the gas bubble. If she had a retinal tear, she would've gotten a laser, depending if the laser worked or if she needed more laser done to her eye, it might be sensitive and would not be able to do any strenous activities. Either way, she would be wary to just rest her conditions IF those were the diagnosis of what happened to her retina IMHO
A detachment is very bad. I had a tear and couldn't fly for a couple of weeks. I had to cancel for a conference where I was a major speaker. One of my guys filled in seamlessly. They realized that I was dispensable. :)

Reaction Score
A detachment is very bad. I had a tear and couldn't fly for a couple of weeks. I had to cancel for a conference where I was a major speaker. One of my guys filled in seamlessly. They realized that I was dispensable. :)

Agree a detachment is really bad, they have to be positioned face down for at least a month, depending if the gas bubble took or if it re detached, hopefully this isn't what happened to BG. A tear is bad too but if it's just a horseshoe tear, it's not as bad. Depending on the location or how big the tear is...either way, hopefully this isn't what happened to BG.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I would be surprised to see CVS make the team. She is not a scoring threat like Diggins and Sims, nor can she defend as well as either. Will there be enough playing time for a 5th PG to join the team at this point?
I'm still completely mystified why CV gets so much consideration by some. But I guess I just don't appreciate her game, or haven't seen enough of her to see what the allure is. She's just such a ragged and inconsistent offensive threat. I'll really have to watch some Sky games next year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm still completely mystified why CV gets so much consideration by some. But I guess I just don't appreciate her game, or haven't seen enough of her to see what the allure is. She's just such a ragged and inconsistent offensive threat. I'll really have to watch some Sky games next year.
I don't care that much about the scoring - it is the assists and TOs that I like - 2-1 ratio for the year and 3-1 in the playoffs. She plays on a team with EDD, Prince, Fowles, and Quigley so scoring 8 ppg is about right. Its like Jefferson for Uconn - much more important that she be setting up her teammates than scoring lots of points. She has been in the national team pool for 4 years so the committee obviously sees something.
Personally I prefer that type of PG over Diggins or the Sims of her senior year who need/needed to dominate the shot attempts of their teams. Can either Sims or Diggins change - obviously yes, but they are also very young players at the moment and that transition is not an on/off switch. A player like DT can do it from one game to the next depending on what her team needs on a given night, but she has been doing that for 10+ years so it is ingrained in her psyche.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I like scoring. I hear that if you score more points than your opponent that you win.

In the two games in which BG played, Sloot averaged 7 points and 4.5 assists in two losses. They needed more than she could offer.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I like scoring. I hear that if you score more points than your opponent that you win.

In the two games in which BG played, Sloot averaged 7 points and 4.5 assists in two losses. They needed more than she could offer.
Pretty tough sample size considering that MN needed more than Maya and Whalen could provide when they played in the western conference finals. Just saying on that Sky team this year, I would prefer EDD and Sylvia getting 2 shots more each game than giving those four shots to any point guard in the country not named DT (who actually only occasionally played point for Phoenix.) On the USA national team, I would prefer that Maya, Augustus, DT, Angel, and Tina/BG get those four shots than Sims, Diggins, Bird, or Whalen

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Pretty tough sample size considering that MN needed more than Maya and Whalen could provide when they played in the western conference finals. Just saying on that Sky team this year, I would prefer EDD and Sylvia getting 2 shots more each game than giving those four shots to any point guard in the country not named DT (who actually only occasionally played point for Phoenix.) On the USA national team, I would prefer that Maya, Augustus, DT, Angel, and Tina/BG get those four shots than Sims, Diggins, Bird, or Whalen

There is too much talent in the US to take a player who can't be a consistent scorer, IMO. I suspect that is why Sloot was not invited to join the team in Europe, but there may be other factors, such as her defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom