Team travel | The Boneyard

Team travel

Reaction Score
I was wondering if the team charters for travel or if the fly commercial ? In the age and precautions necessary for covid, I would think charter, but with budget issues, maybe not?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I was wondering if the team charters for travel or if the fly commercial ? In the age and precautions necessary for covid, I would think charter, but with budget issues, maybe not?
The UConn WBB team has been flying charter for sometime. Exactly how long, I don’t know. Someone here that has been following the program longer than I have will have to fill in that blank.

Reaction Score
The UConn WBB team has been flying charter for sometime. Exactly how long, I don’t know. Someone here that has been following the program longer than I have will have to fill in that blank.
A long time - at least back to the Taurasi years and probably before. DT’s half-joking, ”We live like rock stars” comment reflects one of the attractions to play or coach here - it’s cushy. WNBA is a major reduction in standard of living - commercial flights, lesser hotels, roommates for the younger players, etc. Major pay cut for coaches who don’t make it at an elite or even semi-elite D1 school.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly it was Lobo that said the first time that they flew chartered was when they went with the men's team and played against the female team before the men played. The ladies won while the men lost and they were told that they couldn't celebrate their win while they sat in the rear of the plane.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly it was Lobo that said the first time that they flew chartered was when they went with the men's team and played against the female team before the men played. The ladies won while the men lost and they were told that they couldn't celebrate their win while they sat in the rear of the plane.
Leave it to the men’s team to spoil a good time. :confused:

Reaction Score
When UConn was in a conference with schools much closer in proximity, was taking a bus ever how they traveled?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
When UConn was in a conference with schools much closer in proximity, was taking a bus ever how they traveled?

I would imagine that back in the BE, they take a bus to Providence, Saint John’s, and Seton Hall.

Maybe as far as Villanova?

Reaction Score
I would imagine that back in the BE, they take a bus to Providence, Saint John’s, and Seton Hall.

Maybe as far as Villanova?

Makes sense. I’ve always wondered how often cheaper ways to travel are used considering a lot of programs operate in the red.

I guess which poses the question, how far is “too far” a bus ride for schools that can’t afford charter flights? I can only imagine how tedious and challenging flying commercial could be, especially if said school isn’t located close to a major airport.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Makes sense. I’ve always wondered how often cheaper ways to travel are used considering a lot of programs operate in the red.

I guess which poses the question, how far is “too far” a bus ride for schools that can’t afford charter flights? I can only imagine how tedious and challenging flying commercial could be, especially if said school isn’t located close to a major airport.
And there are rules, as well.

I don't think most WBB teams charter, but have known for a long while that UConn did. Arizona did this year, because of Covid. Of course, there are exceptions.

Rutgers would bus for "local" oBE gamers, including Syracuse. For West Virginia, I think they flew into Pittsburgh and bussed from there, we used to know their driver, who said he long told them he could drive them there in the same time as it took them to fly.

And then there is the infamous NCAA - No Charter Airline Available. Back in 2000 when Rutgers defeated Georgia in the Regional Final in Portland, Oregon, the NCAA chartered Georgia home to Athens and forced Rutgers to fly commercial to NJ. Because they "assumed" that Georgia would win and set it up that way.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Providence also nearby, and in the old days: Boston College.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Way after the Diana era (someone help me with the date; teams)...
They were flying back commercial from the West Coast (New Year's eve?)
Bad weather ensued
And they spent the whole night in airports and travel...got in 6 or 7AM
Had a tough game a day or two later (ND?, Baylor?) which they lost.
I was irate...saw it coming a mile away.

[edit] Must have been 12-13, Stewie's first year, they played Stanford and Oregon
and were stuck in LA for hours....flying commercial...then a couple of days later they lost to ND at home.
It was my contention (ridiculed at the time) that jet lag and disrupted sleep effected practice' even the game.

Last edited:

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Pretty sure that was Kansas.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
In a recent article or media session that escapes me, Geno made a comment regarding less travel this season with the BE, more busses, less stress on the players.

Reaction Score
Gee, you never seen a photo inside the UCONN Charter Plane ?? :eek:

1614523775385.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01