Team stats

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Screenshot_20220903-141837.png

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
This is what you’re supposed to do against an FCS team. Passing game still needs a lot of work though.
Yes it is and yes it does... Hopefully good learning for ZT. That fade to Flynn looked pretty nice. FWIW, a step up from our recent history with FCS games.

Reaction Score
CCSU played a great first half. If they had more depth and less cramps would have been a little closer. Kudos to them.

UConn played with some discipline. You can tell the WR depth was lacking experience due to injuries. Overall, can’t complain much outside of penalties and turnovers.

Reaction Score
Yes it is and yes it does... Hopefully good learning for ZT. That fade to Flynn looked pretty nice. FWIW, a step up from our recent history with FCS games.
Agreed. I thought Zion was fine today, much better than last week. I think we’re just lacking playmaking receivers given the injury issues.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I was surprised when I saw those stats. It didn't feel as dominating while watching as you would think from reading those stats.

Reaction Score
I was surprised when I saw those stats. It didn't feel as dominating while watching as you would think from reading those stats.

28-3 and really wasn’t even close. They only sniffed the end zone once. We didn’t even play outstanding.

Reaction Score
Down 7-3, 1st down and goal and coming away with nothing really hurt CCSU chances. They were close just before and suffered a bad snap and came away with nothing. CCSU made some nice hits. Worn down.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
28-3 and really wasn’t even close. They only sniffed the end zone once. We didn’t even play outstanding.
It just didn't feel like UConn almost doubled up their yards.

Love how they finished though. It felt like Charlton got into a rhythm play calling.... and they wore ccsu down.

Reaction Score
Down 7-3, 1st down and goal and coming away with nothing really hurt CCSU chances. They were close just before and suffered a bad snap and came away with nothing. CCSU made some nice hits. Worn down.
Funny thing was unlike recent FCS games, I never felt this one was in doubt. We just had better players. There are lots of games like this every year where the better team doesn’t do much but also doesn’t let the weaker one make crucial plays. Eventually the tide turns.

I will say this, though. I’m not seeing it with the quarterback. He doesn’t look to me like he is going to be much more than an average player. Now we would have given a million bucks for an average quarterback the last few years, but for all the hype, he has a long long way to go.

Reaction Score
Intresting you felt that way. UConn had two red zone turnovers A blocked FG and ccsu only had one really good drive - that first one of second half.

It wasn’t a super dominant game, but they clearly overmatched central.

Reaction Score
I disagree about talent. Central had players just as fast, strong, or talented as UConn.

Fact is we had no depth and it showed. Definitely got winded, cramps and couldn't rotate enough guys in without it having a huge negative impact. It all starts that we have about 60 scholarships to UConn's 85. Obviously, FCS vs FBS recruiting labels, and $3M vs $17M. There was very little chance we we going to win.

Mora has definitely changed the program; if this was last season, I think it would have been a lot closer and the odds of a CCSU victory would have been much higher :)

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Intresting you felt that way. UConn had two red zone turnovers A blocked FG and ccsu only had one really good drive - that first one of second half.

I guess with UConn leading 7-3 five minutes into the third quarter and CCSU at the goal line, it didn't feel like UConn was dominating the stats. I do think from that point on, they were dominant...but until then the game was a toss up.

Reaction Score
Funny thing was unlike recent FCS games, I never felt this one was in doubt. We just had better players. There are lots of games like this every year where the better team doesn’t do much but also doesn’t let the weaker one make crucial plays. Eventually the tide turns.

I will say this, though. I’m not seeing it with the quarterback. He doesn’t look to me like he is going to be much more than an average player. Now we would have given a million bucks for an average quarterback the last few years, but for all the hype, he has a long long way to go.
Yeah, wouldn't say, wow! yet. Nice throw on the missed opportunity to Harrison at corner of the endzone though.
Surprised that Dixon is getting a lot of play at TE.
Not sure what Bembry is doing. Not very productive, thought there would be a little more there.
Dalmont Guordine had a nice game.

Reaction Score
I disagree about talent. Central had players just as fast, strong, or talented as UConn.

Fact is we had no depth and it showed. Definitely got winded, cramps and couldn't rotate enough guys in without it having a huge negative impact. It all starts that we have about 60 scholarships to UConn's 85. Obviously, FCS vs FBS recruiting labels, and $3M vs $17M. There was very little chance we we going to win.

Mora has definitely changed the program; if this was last season, I think it would have been a lot closer and the odds of a CCSU victory would have been much higher :)
That is the difference. That and you didn’t have Nate Carter. Your #1s can probably play for UConn at many positions. Some maybe as good. But once you go to the backup right guard the drop off is substantial. It is why you see many FCS teams hang with FBS teams for a half. By the third quarter, though the deeper, and more talented FBS eventually pulls away.

Reaction Score

That was my view of things. They don’t shoot themselves in the foot and it could have been over by half. It wasn’t but Central didn’t do much offensively except the drive in the 2nd half that got blown up. And I never had the feeling that they could do that again. Could UConn have panicked and lost? Sure. Did it feel like they would? Not to me.

Reaction Score
No doubt, CCSU offense struggled mighty to sustain scoring drives. We had some nice outside runs, decent underneath passing, but was never a real threat. Central moved the ball well at times, but it was clear they couldn't put up many points. UConn D was much better than we will see in FCS, but let's also be honest - they weren't great. A decent P5 team will eat you guys up. That secondary is suspect. Central was able to get behind DBs multiple times, just couldn't convert.

On Defense, I think our secondary was more than respectable. The few long shot attempts were well defended and our DBs made plays. Again, UConn will not fair well against any decent FBS pass defense right now.

Without a doubt, the UConn run game eventually pounded Central like a rock. 6-man line and just push up front. We will fair better against at a SHU run game in week 2. Once the limitations of the passing game was clear, they went to something we couldn't stop.

Credit to Mora for changing the program. This team has a long way to go to rebuild to be a Top-75 FBS team, but you are headed in the right direction.

Reaction Score
UConn started a freshman QB in his first career start. He is going to have growing pains. Plus, he is missing UConn’s top 2 WRs. Considering all that, he is doing fine and he will get better every week. If UConn didn’t struggle in the red zone, the game could have been 38-3. UConn used their physical and depth superiority to win despite having an inexperienced QB and an injury riddled WR group. That is what an FBS team is supposed to do to an FCS school.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
UConn started a freshman QB in his first career start. He is going to have growing pains. Plus, he is missing UConn’s top 2 WRs. Considering all that, he is doing fine and he will get better every week. If UConn didn’t struggle in the red zone, the game could have been 38-3. UConn used their physical and depth superiority to win despite having an inexperienced QB and an injury riddled WR group. That is what an FBS team is supposed to do to an FCS school.

Yeah, that second half was just dominance in ball control and literally running out the clock.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom